momstang rebuild begins.

Have a car? Is it broken? Want to make it faster? Got cool pictures?
Kirghiz

Re: momstang rebuild begins.

Post by Kirghiz »

ttocs wrote:Hopefully it will be quick/easy/cheap but I have a feeling that I am asking a lot...
cheap_good_quick.jpg
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

yup I know that sign. I have a feeling that the way karma treats me I will not even have the option of two. If I am lucky I can pick one but more then likely it will be expensive, looooooooooooong and I just pray they do a good job. We were sad to fin out that we can't get an oem core support from ford and will need to go to a junkyard or the aftermarket which my body guy tells me that they are crap....
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

started a list today of things to do on the car to get it ready to go to the body shop. Charge the batteries, charge the air-ride, get it off the jack-stands, tuck all the wiring up out of the way, get all the crap out from under it... The list is shorter as my big battery still charges.

And the top of the deck-lid smoothing is going well and only a couple small spots to finish there.
zztunnell

Post by zztunnell »

If you still have wheels/tires from donor car.I would put those on before you take it.

If possible Id remove the door handles,locks and outer door window belt strip seals. And anything else you want to make sure they get paint under instead of being masked off,just in case.
Last edited by zztunnell on Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I do but the tires are crap, and the wheels are the stock waffle style with out the deep dish rear I took off to put these on. I have had these on now for 6 yrs and was planning on getting a new set at the end of the summer prior to having my wreck. They are on the list to be replaced but I am not going cheap this time and will need to save up a bit for them.
zztunnell

Post by zztunnell »

I was just worried about overspray.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

oh I gotcha. The shop is actually just going to replace the core support and put some weld-through primer on it. I have decided to paint it myself and will be getting paper and all the masking goodies to do a good job but that is a good idea to minimize the possibility. I have been collecting good ideas for when the time comes from wetting down the floor to building a filter system to draw in fresh air while getting out the fumes.
zztunnell

Post by zztunnell »

Another old timers trick is to drape a chain over the rear axle or bolt it to frame and let the ends lay on the concrete to help statically ground the car. My great grandpa said it helped keep dust from being drawn into the paint while its drying. I dont know if it works or not,but I figure what can it hurt.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I heard about grounding the chassis to the electrical socket ground for the same reason. I heard that the spraying of the paint on the body will naturally start to develop a charge if it is not taken care of. Finished blending the top of the spoiler today.
And the back is sooooo close. I am having some issues with a small line around the 3rd brake light but its almost done. The 3rd brake light and the laser shifter will be functional and are covered up with tape right now. You can see the tape if you look closely but hopefully the line between paint/lens will be hard to tell.
dbjury

Post by dbjury »

Good to see progress. Kudos to you

I'm interested if you have sprayed in a shed before. I have a few times and it's just shit.

I personally hire a professional booth to do my paint work. I repainted my subaru and the results are all that I hoped for. Minimal contamination of paint correct temperature and baked afterwards. And no overspray. You could drive it as is. But I sanded and buffed it a day later over couple days to get rid of that orange peel a bit. What's your painting plans.

I do have friends in the right places so being able to use a paint booth was not a problem for me. So maybe not an option for you? Can be surprised how cheaply someone is happy to give you access to paint booth for the evening/night.

What paint system are you using? Basecoat clearcoat. Or 2pac colour.

Maybe you know more than me I'm bit of an amateur but if I can help I'm more than happy to share what others have shared to me.

A key thing that helped me was the sanding and buffing process I was taught.

If you haven't seen my car before here's a pic. ImageImage
BMW 2006 530D E60
(yet to fit) Alpine 9887 CD/Ipod/Reciever: Boston Acoustics ZX6: Boston Acoustics SPG-555: Phoenix Gold ELITE .5
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I have done a lot of small projects from rattle cans but never anything near this size. I have been reading about what I need to convert the garage to do it. Thankfully it is a nice sized garage and I think with some work to collect any dust I can make it work. I live in a fairly small town and not sure who if anyone rents booths. I dropped it off today to get the core support replaced and talked with the owner for a while as he wants to put a nice stereo in his GTO. Maybe we could work something out but time will tell. Going with a basecoat/metallic and clear.
dbjury

Post by dbjury »

Cool

Are you doing the whole car? Or just front
BMW 2006 530D E60
(yet to fit) Alpine 9887 CD/Ipod/Reciever: Boston Acoustics ZX6: Boston Acoustics SPG-555: Phoenix Gold ELITE .5
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

Whole car. Will be staying the stock color. Hopefully I found a core support tonight, now I just need to get it shipped.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

There are some small spots around the 3rd tail light fighting me but for the most part its done and in prime ready for paint. Came out nice and smooth.
Here you can see the bubble in the laser shifter lens.
This shows where I moved the keyhole. IF you look closely around the laser shifter lens you can make out the rectangle made out of tape covering it up. IF you look above that at the spot with the glare you can see another faint horizontal line. That line is the top of the tape line that covers the 3rd tail light.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

Managed to get the tape off today and happy with how they came out. They both need to be polished and the tail light will be smoked nice and dark but with switching to led should still be plenty bright enough. Hopefully with dark green/candy black on it, it will be hard to see where the paint ends and the lens begins.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

Car is still off at the shop, hoping to get a call from him any day now to come pick it up. Until then I have been keeping busy on the days I feel well enough to work and started on my HID retrofit. The stock lighting starts off with a 2-piece light with the headlight/parking light being 2 separate pieces. There are a number of companies that make a 1-piece lens that almost anyone with a similar mustang has wished they could use but they have always been hard to both line up with the body lines, and get a good output from the light that would not blind people. I am hoping to get by that with this retrofit because I am not going to finish mounting them till I get a chance to put them on the car and first line it up with the body lines and then I will aim the projector assembly to assure a good ouput.
This is what they look like with the lens on. I am amazed how much darker they look now with the reflector/chrome covered up inside the light, I didn't do anything to the lens(it still needs to be polished).

I took some pics and can show a little about the process if anyone is interested.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

made a few final changes to little details in the paint and lighting. I painted the projector shrowd in a green that almost matches the body color. I think its a shade lighter which I like as with the smoked lense hopefully its a close match. If not I will repaint it when I repaint the car. The shrowd was originally called a graphite color/finish which was mainly clear with a slight blue hue to it. I masked off the three raised areas on the side of the shrowd to let light through, and even mounted white leds behind the carbon fiber spots.
with the leds on. Its a nice effect as it really shows the pattern of the carbon fiber on the reflector.
These are called demon eyes. I mounted two wide angle red leds on the bottom of the projector assembly to get this effect. I like how the red bleeds through the spots on the side I masked off.
I also figured while I was in there I would go ahead and install halo's. I don't have to turn them on, but they are also 7 color and kinda cool as they will make almost any color
zztunnell

Post by zztunnell »

Looking good,bro!
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

Thanks I am praying I get it back today to have something to do for the weekend...
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

well fml. Had a good weekend as far as my stomach is concerned but that came to an end today. I swear it knows when I am looking forward to doing something and just LOVES to put an end to any plans I have made. Last week thurs I had a buddy coming over to help wire the 220v outlet I needed for the 60 gal compressor I picked up as well as for extra power for the welder. Had to cancel that day as I felt like crap, so we rescheduled for today. I got the majority of it all done yesterday running the wires, drilling and cutting the holes so my buddy would really just have a few connections at the end at the panel. Woke up today and just started puking and could not stop. I sent a message to my buddy saying I had to cancel but he didn't get it. He showed up and went to work, I hope it wasn't a big deal for him but I could not help as I was upstairs puking.... So after 6 hrs of that I finally decided it was time to go in. The only good news about the day(other then hopefully he finished up the wiring) was that for the first time EVER(10 yrs trying) my dr admitted me to the hospital with out needing me to go to his office first. I hate the ER, its my own personal hell honestly so the past couple times we called him and he said to come into his office first. Not sure why he wants me in his office in horrible abdominal pain an constant throwing up as its not a pretty image while sitting in the waiting room but until today that is how he wanted to do it. Today I was amazed that my dr actually took my word for it for the first time and admitted me with out seeing me. ITs a huge help as when I get sick like this, I get worse when I have to travel and of course we drive past the hospital, almost 2x as far to go to my dr's office and then back to the hospital. I honestly cried when I heard he would as it not only meant less pain but that he actually trusted me. Hopefully we can do that again.

So then of course karma isn't done with yet. If she doesn't get to LOL and point 3 times a day I think she feels like she has failed for the day. Got admitted. Got the medicine flowing and starting to feel better and go figure 10 mins later my phone rings and its the media blaster telling me the bumper is done and came out great. 20 mins after that the body shop calls to tell me that the core support is done and I can get it as well... $20 says the catch can and line locks I ordered last week show up today.

FML!!!!
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

jesus I just have to say that sometimes, often now in fact my life just plain sucks. Not sure who/what I pissed off in a former life but its getting even with me now. Spent the last two days tucking the ac condenser and the radiator into the core support just to gain some space between the motor/fan. Cut/welded/modified the upper brackets on the condenser and the radiator so that they ended pulled in about 4". Just finished up and had that moment when you finish a project and get to look at/enjoy the outcome, thinking about what I can do now/next before I started to feel sick. Wasn't sure why but I needed to throw up. So I did, over an over and over again and now I am again typing from a hospital room only 4 doors down from the room I had 2.5 weeks ago. 3 episodes now in just over 60 days sucks..... At this rate I will be lucky to ever finish the rebuild and who knows if I will be able to enjoy it afterwards....
LowandLoud

Post by LowandLoud »

Sorry to hear this Scott. I hope your luck turns around. You have to take care of yourself first, the car will be there when you get home :)

LL
Always looking for:

Install accessories
LE amps
Processing
Unique pieces
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

thanks, this visit has not been as bad as I finally have a dr that believes me. For the 10 yrs I have been dealing with this for some reason I could never find a DR that if/when I got sick would admit me to the hospital. They always said to go through the ER which has become my own personal hell. I actually broke down crying when I heard that he would admit me, I didn't need to go to his office or the ER. The ER was always what made it go from bad to worse just because most of the time I am in there 3-4 hrs before they finally start any medicine and by then my system is so irritated from the constant heaving/vomiting for hours on end while waiting to get in. The last two times where he has admitted me I was able to stop throwing up sooner and get out earlier and it just didn't take so much out of me. When you drop 10-15 lbs as fast as I do it just takes for ever to get back on my feet and moving...

But I am still trying to just be thankful for what I have today. If it were not for my family I would have exited stage left a while back as with out them to lean on and help it would be way too much to deal with just the health issues let alone the financial crap that comes with loosing your job because of an illness. Sucks when you loose a job and suddenly have medical bills out the wazu.... And for the first time ever I am thankful to have the dr I have and that is something I have just NEVER said up till today......

Feeling better today and was actually able to have some solid foor(an egg) so I should be able to make it home today. Thanks again for the well wishes.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

Got the tire tuck almost finished up and welded in my side panels to smooth out the engine bay.
I had to move the stock fuse box to the fender but wanted to keep access too it in case I needed too so I started off by making an aluminum "tray" with a removable bottom that the fuse boxes mounts too. I had to cut a hole to make access for it and then painted the area that will be behind the panel black so it would not rust.
This is the back of the alunum tray I made to mount them in. Its my first time welding aluminum also.
Welded in the panel, new to steel welding too really...
Then cut a hole for access too the boxes, now I need to make a door to cover it.
And the passenger side has the intake go through it. It angles back so the hole has to be ob-long like that.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

Was planning on just making a metal door for the cover till my pops suggested that plexi might be nice to be able too see through it. Took that Idea and ran with it so I started off by making a flange that I will weld too the back of the apron too hold the window/door in place. Made this from two pieces and tacked them together prior to doing a better weld on the connections. This is actually the back side that will not be seen.
burned them together today.
Here the plexi window/door in in place and protected with tape. Did I forget too mention that I also did not want ANY fasteners showing to mount it? To Take care of that I made the flange a little more then 1/8" bigger on the top/bottom of the opening, and cut the plexi 1/8" bigger. I put a 1/16" smaller bearing on my router and cut a line into the top/bottom of the plexi deep enough and at the right size so that the edge rests on the back of the apron opening. I put some foam on the flange so that it pushes the plexi up and holds it into the edges the router made. To remove it I just push the plexi in(towards the fuse boxes) and then slide it down 1/16" till the top can be released and lifted out.