momstang rebuild begins.

Have a car? Is it broken? Want to make it faster? Got cool pictures?
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Re: momstang rebuild begins.

Post by ttocs »

the clear coat is harder to see. go figure its clear huh? I will be chasing some runs and some orange peel but it didn't all come out bad by any means.
The cowl came out really nice and will require no work. It was cool to see the CF pop out from the faded finish that was on it to help the clear stick. I want to eventually do some kind of pin strip beween the two. Not sure what color to do though but I have considered matching the letters in the brakes to it. I thought about a red, orange, or silver but not sure. Any ideas or suggestions?

It feels a little bit crazy to think I can start putting it back together after curing. But then comes the cut/buff and I can't sayI am looking all the forward to that activity. I look forward to the results but otherwise I am already sore from the paint. I use to do a moderatly difficult yoga when I was racing mountain bikes and that has nothing on this. This is a combination of yoga mixed with kettle balls you just swing around....
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

I've always been too intimidated by painting to try it myself. It looks like you did a fantastic job! My choice would be silver accents. I think an orange or red would be too much. A silver would go with your polished theme under the hood.
XS2300, XS2500, XS2300, X200.4, X100.2, Ti21000.4, Roadster 66

I'm gonna become a civil engineer. I'm gonna design septic tanks for playgrounds. Little kids can take shits! You idiot, what the hell do you do?
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

that is what I like about the silver as well and yet for some reason I also kind of want something brighter/different and can't decide. Oh well there is time to figure that out. I can't lie that it didn't scare the hell out of me that I was going to screw it up but then with paint the worst case scenario was sand it down and start over or then take it to someone. I have don a lot rattle can painting and got good results with it but this has definitly been a learning exp from beginning to end.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I let it cure for almost 48 hrs, put as much of it out in the sun to help as I could and then got to the sand paper. So far I am happy to say there are only two spots that would need a serious correction of either touch up or a respray/blend and one is in a spot that will not be seen. Hell I learned to weld and paint on youtube one of my winter projects I guess will catch some vids on blending paint but I have no problem still saying I did it all. I got the back bumper rubbed down in the lower/hard to reach places and then installed it. The brake lights required paint as well and now the lenses need to be polished. I then moved up to the trunk lid and would love to put the a/c-pillars back but I need a seal on the back window replaced as well as the entire front windshield first. I got the pass fender rubbed out to 5000 grit and its ready for polish so I installed it. I pulled the hood down today so I could start on it expecting a long day smoothing it out but then my stomach sent me inside for the day. For the first time in 3 yrs it makes me smile to go out in the garage - literally....
The ups man was probably happy I was not there to sign for this package as its always a little awkward after I hug him.

And after much though on the pinstripes and lettering I think I have decided to go with a nice dark/metallic red. Something almost a like a burgandy I think will compliment the red/cf and look killer in the baer logo.
RayBuck

Post by RayBuck »

Getting closer. ...that has to make you fell good
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

for the first time in 3 yrs it made me smile to go out and see it in the condition it was. I could not sleep last night so it seemed like the perfect opportunity to start polishing the calipers. After a quick mock up to be sure everything fit I was off to wet sand and then buff them. This pic doesn't really show the polished caliper but its almost a mirror and I am going to do the letters in a dark metallic red that I am going to do a thin pin stripe between the CF/green and maybe down the side. Love em but its killing me having to decide between polishing the car or the brakes!
I worked on the hood today and got he top out to 5000 grit and here it is still wet now ready for the buffer/polish to begin. The top left looks like maybe I had some color in my first batch of clear. There are two other spots that I might be learning how to blend paint on this winter but I am still happy with what I have. Love how the AeroCatch hood pins worked out.
Now to flip it over and do the back, can't wait to see it on the car.....
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

this polishing thing might become an addiction....
after :)
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

red.
right now I have hit the whole car with 1000 and now the polish will begin.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

eh those darn brakes.... When I got them and went over the instructions it said I had to remove the rear axles to install their carrier bracket/parking brake assembly. I had been hoping to avoid this for a while as I did not want to put the stock axles back in, and also didn't want to buy new ones... But since they are coming out and I am doubling the HP to the wheels it doesn't make sense not to put an upgraded version in there. While I am back there I also planned to install some 3:55 gears and an upgraded 31 spline diff to go with the axles. I got the parts in and went over all the instructions and got to work. Got the diff cover off and the drained and then went to remove the carrier pin bolt. That sucker was tight, really tight to where I was able to pick myself up off of the ground. While I did that my dad slipped on the bar he was using to keep the hub from turning and that caused me to strip the bolt head. After a LOT of cussing and 3 attempts to weld a nut to the bolt head I realized we were gonna have to get nasty to get it out. So I yanked the rear end and put my angle grinder/cutting wheel to work and it was not pretty but its out.

So now today finally I can hopefully finish getting it cleaned up and everything installed. I forgot to mention work was also delayed after storms went through that knocked power out for over 48 hrs and cable/internet for 5 days. But I learned hot to pull a rear end and how a diff is put together...
RayBuck

Post by RayBuck »

Dang scott you can't leave anything alone. :lol: Do you have the tools to set up the new ring and pinion? Have you ever set one up? I would suggest to leave the rear end out while you do that will be way easier that way lots of in and out with carrier getting pinon depth right. Anywho if you need any help let me know.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

RayBuck wrote:Dang scott you can't leave anything alone. :lol: Do you have the tools to set up the new ring and pinion? Have you ever set one up? I would suggest to leave the rear end out while you do that will be way easier that way lots of in and out with carrier getting pinon depth right. Anywho if you need any help let me know.
nope first time(again)! I am lucky to have a friend that loves to wrench on cars and has done all of this before that doesn't live far away. I joked last night I need a bat symbol or something to flash for him. He was busy when I yanked it but his 16 yr old kid was free and wanted my old axles for his fox mustang to do a 5 lug conversion. Dave came by later and helped with the actual yanking of the diff so we could keep track of the spacers better. I just got done watching some youtube vids showing it so now I am going to go pull the pinion nut, knock out the bearings/races and then I need to separate the ring gear and get some pieces pressed together. It will be nice to have it out to put everything back together and while its out no reason not to clean it up and put a coat of paint on it(speaking of not leaving anything alone). Last week when I had no power I kept busy with some paint projects. Painted the new rear diff cover black but masked off the fins to leave them silver and then painted the sway bars in back a red that will match the brakes.
RayBuck

Post by RayBuck »

That's awesome that you have someone to help out with that I have been setting up rear ends and front ends for years it is still challenging just keep everything labelled and take pictures. What differential are you going with locker limited slip spool? 8.8 will hold up to some power you could always get a bolt in 9 inch :shock: if you don't like having money in your wallet. :lol: You should be fine tho driving not racing are you? Fatter tire race slicks =traction =broke shit =broken wallet. Keep after it!! More pics.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

if dave were not here scott would not be here... I like youtube to get an idea of what I am looking at before I look at it but I really prefer to have someone I can call when I need help as was the case here.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

forgot to say that I am upgrading to an 03/04 cobra diff and 31 spline axles to answer your question. This is much much more then I will need at the moment but I can't justify doubling the HP to the road and keeping 20yr old parts that are just sooner or later going to fail. I also have someone to buy the old axles/brakes for his fox mustang. But seems like the theme of this build could be one step forward, two steps back. As I was tearing down the rear end I realized the baer backing plates that replace the stock plates did not have a hole for the abs wheel rotation sensor. I emailed them and discovered they sent the wrong plates and Thankfully being the place they are they are sending the correct plates out today as well as a return shipping label for the old ones to go back. So I can replace all the bearings/seals and put the diff in but I can't put the axles in till the new backing plates come in. Ah well it will be lighter to put in with out the axles and while I had a little extra time I cleaned it up and put a coat of paint on it. It was for no other reason then rust control honestly
but I think we can all agree that a little rust around the freshly painted diff cover would really stick out. Of course when its aired out no one will be able to see it and when its not, I am driving it but like I said I have a little extra time till I can button up the brake/rear end package now...
My goal is to eventually have someone one the ground behind the car checking out the diffuser/tank cover and rear end.... I wonder if they will feel weird when I take a pic of them doing it?
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I am not sure how ford does it. I think they start the build of the car with the brake booster already mounted to the firewall and then go from there. I cursed at that thing for a good hour before I got my drill out and opened up the mounting holes for it a tad so it could slide in. Between the shock tower(fresh paint), the intake(fresh ceramic) and then the 4 studs that go through the firewall it was a test of patients. And then when I thought it was done getting 4 nuts on the studs under the dash, above the pedals led to a LOT more cussing. It was a tight fit...
I ordered the master with the output ports facing the fender so I can hide them. Its really close so it will hardly be seen when I get some 90 degree lines that will go straight down the strut tower. Last night I was wondering if I was going to need to run all new brake lines but with only a minor modification and a hose that is coming it should come out nice. Its hard to see but I drilled two holes carefully right in front of the ports.
also got the ABS module installed as well as the voltage regulator for the alt. Its getting really hard to find any space in the engine bay...
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

The rear strut brace got welded in, some more wiring crap up front and then I installed one of my door handles and modified them to add an led to show which side you push in. I had it really roughly mocked up long ago but finally finished all the little crap I needed to do to complete it. I am really happy with how they came out and I know they will make me grin when they light up after disarming the alarm.

Now with those in I can put the glass back, still need to find a drivers side window...
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

my rear end turned into one hell of a pain in the rear in both ways. My buddy that had been helping me got some time and from the start I got the idea that he didn't have as much experience with this as he said. I knew he was full of crap when he said he had been doing this since I was in diapers since I am only 4 yrs younger then him but when he asked why I had the race/bearing press kit I started to worry. Then when it was time to put the oil slinger and bearings in for the pinion he said lets go to youtube..... So we get the pinion in and he says its fine to use the old crush sleeve again since its too hard to crush the new one. We put the diff in and one axle and it was tough to turn and felt bad. When I mentioned using the paint on the ring gear that the kit included to check the contact pattern he said it was too difficult to clean up. By this point though I knew something was wrong as it was really hard to turn and now we could not pull the axle out that we put in. I said to stop and I would take it to the shop. I would have never started this if I knew I was going to use youtube and luck to hope it went back together correctly. So $300 and 3 days later I picked it up and at least I know its right now. Last night I was going to get everything ready to install when I realized I wanted to see it in so after a couple of hours it was nice to see it in place. I ended up redoing the brake hard lines as they got crimped a little when we had it in the stand so now other then the housing everything in back is new.
I can't put the discs no till I get the parking brake cables but I could not help but throw the caliper on to see it finally mounted.
RayBuck

Post by RayBuck »

Good thing you took it to a shop to get the gears set up. Never re-use the crush sleeve to crush the new one you have to have a tool to hold the pinion flange or yoke and you also need a good torque wrench I made my own tool I let a buddy of mine use it when I get it back I will post a pic of it. You have to use the paint too that way you know if the ring gear and pinion gear are meshing correctly both on the drive side and coast side. Setting up ring and pinions is not easy and you have to have the correct tools and the knowledge. You also could have gotten a crush sleeve delete kit it is a spacer and it comes with shims you shim it to get the correct using a inch pound torque wrench not the click kind the kind that has a pointer it more work but under high horse power the crush sleeve can get over crushed and you will end up having slop in the pinion letting it move in and out changing the gear pattern and the pinion depth in turn ruining your gears and possibly your bearings. Good call scott!
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

didn't really have a choice on the call other then maybe I should have ended it sooner. I think we all know I like to learn and try new things and its amazing what you can pick up online/youtube but I would have never attempted this with out a pro behind me to tell me when to stop before I mess something up. Like I said from the night before when he asked why I had the race/bearing press kit I started to wonder how it would go. I knew reusing the crush sleeve was stupid as I had not even heard of anyone doing that online to tell how dumb it was and when he said the paint was too messy, I knew I was screwed into the shop. But like you said I know its done right. Today I managed to put the hood on. I got the pass side gapped/shimmed but was in a rush as it was my night to cook dinner and then I had Telsa/REO speedwagon and Def Leppard concert right after that. I could not help but throw my polish/glaze on half of it to see the CF pop out. I was planning on coming home to do some more on it but after 4 hrs of classic rock, it can wait till the morning.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

man I swear I can't win with these brakes. After discovering that I needed to buy additional parking brake cables and ordering them I was a little disappointed that it took 2 weeks to get them out, 3 weeks to get to my door. I was excited to finally finish them and see the rears with the wheels/rotors on so I got under the car and got to work. Disconected the driveshaft so I could access the cables, got the first one out and reached over to grab the new one I had carefully placed at the back of the car so I could get it with out getting up. I ran it the same way the stock cable when and was surprised to see that something was not right. The outer sheath that both protects it, as well as gives a mounting point for both ends so it can be pulled was 15" shorter then the stock cables. Another email to baer and I discovered I had waited all that time and spent the time under the car installing the wrong cable. I swear normally I feel like its one step forward two back but lately its three or four back. I am still trying to get it started/running by the end of the month for my birthday now the question is will I be able to stop it.....
RayBuck

Post by RayBuck »

Brakes.....we don't need no stinking brakes.!
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I had been considering throwing the stockers back on and calling it a day. They are working on getting the right stuff out and includinga shirt and some goodies to make up for it. I just hope it can get here by the end of the month when I hope to start it and have it rolling. Today was a good day as I found the bolt to the drives side accessory bracket I have been looking for for 3-4 weeks now. I knew I didn't throw it out as its thick and 8" long but it was hiding in my tool box. I got it on and was finally able to install the power steering pulley. Funny enough while aligning it, I just now noticed that the PG alternator has a 5 groove pulley instead of a 6 groove that the others use. Looks like a trip to the alt store for me but just happy to have that stinking bolt.
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

dont give up mang. you are super close to having this thing done. every time you post a new picture im both jealous and inspired!
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

ah hell no, way too deep into it now to turn back I just have to laugh and complain in the same breath how solving one problem, creates another. I had been looking for that bolt for weeks knowing I didn't throw it out and an 8" bolt should not be hard to find. I was all excited to finally put it in and install the power steering pulley and it was while I did that I notices the alt pulley was a 1/16" off and I didn't have any way to shim the alt. Then I counted the grooves, and my celebration of the bolt turned into cursing at the alt, again... I took the pulley to a local alt shop and after 20 mins of going through his catalog I said I would leave it there for him to dig further. He things that we might need to get some machining done on one to get it to work. At this point, sure what ever custom machined pulley why not.... I thought I had solved all the issues with the alt when I had the valve covers welded, that thing loves to kick me in the ass :)

Baer came through and I was surprised to see the brake cables on my door yesterday after I returned home from the salvage yard from getting a window. I need to replace the windshield, get the two sides tinted and installed. The other sides tint is scratched as well and it should not be too hard since they are not in the doors so I might do them myself. I got some more wiring shtuff done and its coming along. Not sure I will make my goal of starting it by my birthday but it will be close.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

went to the salvage yard to pick up a new drivers side window and was happy to find the new cables waiting when I got home. Also happy to say that they were correct and slid right into place. Anyone have a preference on center caps?
or
I also got the two layers of window tint off of the window I picked up to get it ready for fresh tint. Not sure why there was 2 layers but it did help keep it from getting scratched pretty bad as the tint was messed up. Next week I am going to try and get the windshield replaced and get all the rest of the glass in while taking care of more little crap on the list.