I painted my tails this weekend.

Have a car? Is it broken? Want to make it faster? Got cool pictures?
mr tibbs
Forum Goatee

I painted my tails this weekend.

Post by mr tibbs »

Well, I finally decided to paint my tail lights this weekend. I've had the paint for quite a while, it was just a matter of finding time to do it. I used VHT Nightshades paint that allows light to shine through so hopefully I won't get to much shit from the cops. I also ordered up some led bulbs to throw in there that are supposed to be brighter than the stocks to give it even more light. I just tested them and I can see my lights just fine when the brakes and turn signals are on. I shouldn't have a problem. Here are some pics, what do you guys think??

And no shit about washing the car. It's been raining mud and ash here for like 15 mins at a time. It's damn near impossible for me to keep a black car clean here latley. :evil:
HoseHead
Tim Horton Himself

Post by HoseHead »

Besides the filthy car, I suggest you tell yore Momma to stop cuttin' off yore jeans in the summertime..... :D

As long as the lights are bright enough.
It's always the tail gating knob behind me that I don't like.
I'd like to give him as much warning as possible since he missed the common dog fuck day whilst in the womb.
The only stupid question is the one not asked .......
Thumper88

Post by Thumper88 »

pics with lights on? you should do the reverse lights too... :D
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

That's a little dark for my tastes. About 50% will give it a good aggressive look, while giving much less heat from the cops and allowing a lot more light through. I've been considering doing mine very slightly as well, though I think my car is too light of a color.

Be careful with LED bulbs. Their light can be very directional, so you see it from straight back but it is very dim from an angle. If yours has LEDs all the way around the bulb, then it is probably okay.
mr tibbs
Forum Goatee

Post by mr tibbs »

They did turn out a little darker than I intended. I kinda-sorta lost track of how many coats I did on account of the rum I was drinking while painting them. :oops: O'well, they turned out allright for my tastes.

And as far as the led's go I got the ones that have lights on all sides so it should be good. If not I'll do some sanding down of the tips to try and make it not so directional. :wink:
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

umm.....I thought DOT requires the tail light assembly to be reflective?
I think we've established that "Ka Ka" and "Tukki Tukki" don't work.
mr tibbs
Forum Goatee

Post by mr tibbs »

It still is (I believe), the paint let's light in and out. Also, I left the DOT numbers on unlike most people that do this mod. I'm not sure it will help out any if I get pulled over, but it couldn't hurt! :lol:
mr tibbs
Forum Goatee

Post by mr tibbs »

Pics with the lights on at night for the curious peoples. :wink:

Zomb1fied

Post by Zomb1fied »

I did that to mine originally :)

Nightshades has red it in too, so sometimes it can block the light a bit too much.

You can get good smoking paint from model shops which is just smoke, kinda like grey candy.

Good job though, I love smoked out tails :)
444 FED

Post by 444 FED »

Not feelin' it. Usually I like tinted tails too.
mr tibbs
Forum Goatee

Post by mr tibbs »

Yeah, I still need to buff them some to get that glassy shine, but for the most part I really like it! Best of all I have yet to be pulled over!!! :lol:
GlasSman

Post by GlasSman »

mr tibbs wrote:Yeah, I still need to buff them some to get that glassy shine, but for the most part I really like it! Best of all I have yet to be pulled over!!! :lol:
Given the state you live in.....give it time. :D
////Alpine/PhoenixGold/MBQuart/ImageDynamics/Soundstream