Replacin' the old catback

Have a car? Is it broken? Want to make it faster? Got cool pictures?
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Replacin' the old catback

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

As per the title, I'm replacing my stock catback.

Why? Because my current one is falling off and full of holes. It's literally useless. The connection between the cat and the catback is severed, they aren't even joined properly anymore.

So, looking around I find that Dynomax sells an interesting looking kit.

Anyways, to make it short, I'm ordering the Dynomax Sport Turbo Catback Kit for a '91 Toyota 4Runner for $170CAD after all tax said and done. Not budget but pretty cheap. It's also supposed to be good. Meh. I just need a new catback that isn't a totally sack of shit.

I'll report on how it goes with the install once the shop gets me part in.
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

What's with you and buying from shops now... Does that include installation too, you big pansy?
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

No, it's an auto parts store. It's called LORDCO. It's not an install shop, just parts.

All the online places that carry it either don't ship to Canada, had a worse price or were one of those "generic" parts shops, you know the ones I'm talking about.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Ahh the good ol Yahoo storefronts...

So did you check to make sure that your midpipe wasn't fucked?
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

stipud wrote:Ahh the good ol Yahoo storefronts...

So did you check to make sure that your midpipe wasn't fucked?
I'll cross that bridge when I get there. I'm in no hurry.
mr tibbs
Forum Goatee

Post by mr tibbs »

Check out performanceproducts.com, they have either a Gibson or a Jardine I would go with. It would be self install, but I can speak from experience with the Gibson it's a piece of cake! :wink:
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Way too rich for my blood, unfortunately.

Starting at over $350USD + shipping + duty just don't fit my budget.

I looked for a while before making this choice and there really wasn't anything else in the range that I was willing to pay (up to $200) that was still highly competitive with the Dynomax.
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Turns out this kit was missing a part for it to be bolt on install. I did suspect I would need the part but I confirmed it. The reason this "cat back" kit doesn't include the piece is because of the two rather different engines offered for the 2nd gen 4Runner. I wish they would have just made two different kits but hell, whatever.

As part of moving to BC, I had to get an out of province vehicle inspection to register and get insurance here. So I took it in for inspection and of course, the exhaust fails because it's falling of the catalytic converter and it's full of holes. I tell the guy my exhaust is in the back of the truck and ask him to install it for me knowing I'm probably missing the part.

He calls me later and says the muffler is too short (ie. the missing pipe) and what should he do? I tell him I'll look up the part number and get back to him. I spend some 1 hour online looking around to make sure I've got the right part number. The Dynomax online catalog ended up being my definitive source after some fruitless google searches.

So now I call him back to tell him what part I need and that sourcing it might be hard when he interrupts me and tells me they just fit it on with some extra pipe they had. Well hot damn! I don't care worth a shit if it's not the 10" or so Dynomax pipe or something random jointed in properly, as long as it works and passes the inspection!

I pick it up tomorrow. I'm hoping the exhaust sound will finally be less "puttery" as a result of multiple holes when I come off the gas pedal now.
mr tibbs
Forum Goatee

Post by mr tibbs »

2 motors for the 2nd gen?? Is this the 4 popper and the V6??
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

^for some reason i think there was a EFI and a carburetor version of the 6 pot in those years. good chance i am wrong though
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
mr tibbs
Forum Goatee

Post by mr tibbs »

I believe the cut off date for the carb was in 1989 when they came out with the 2nd gen 4Runner. I could be wrong though as well. :wink:
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Yeah. It came in a 4 banger (22re) and the V6 (3VZE). Since the engines are significantly different, I suppose the down pipe and cat routing may be done differently. I know for a fact that the Dynomax kit is generic and there are two different "intermediate" pipes, one of each engine.
mr tibbs
Forum Goatee

Post by mr tibbs »

See, Toyota is a smart company, I would have thought that they would have made the exhaust route the same way after the cat regardless of the motor. I can see why it's different from the cat forward, but from the cat back I would have thought it would be the same. I guess you learn something new everyday!! At least it's getting taken care of, I hope it works out!