Let's try this again: So I bought a Forester XT.....

Have a car? Is it broken? Want to make it faster? Got cool pictures?
Me-262

Let's try this again: So I bought a Forester XT.....

Post by Me-262 »

.... and this time I plan on keeping it for a very long time. I don't leave it parked in the driveway and the keys are no longer by the front door. I picked this one up in Maryland, they had the best price in the country bar none. I live closest to NY but the MD dealership was still $1500 cheaper. It was easily worth my while to travel down for the day and pick it up. As you know from my other thread I had a mint White 05 which was stolen. This is a brand new 07, the price was right and I've never owned a new car before. I wanted White but I really love the WRB (World Rally Blue) as well.

It was pretty cool to walk into a dealership and see the car I'm buying sitting there. I did everything over the phone again, just walked in with the check and picked her up

Since I was already in MD and on my summer vacation I headed down to Myrtle Beach for a week and chilled on the beach. Think of it as relaxation therapy.

I already knew how I wanted this one setup from past experience so after giving it a couple of weeks to settle in for any bugs I did a little work to it. Nothing major, just a full suspension swap from an STi and a set of wheels LOL

And to show the suspension setup isn't just for show..... This is at the Corel Center in Ottawa. Bruce, you should really bring your Super coupe out one Sunday and have a little fun !!

twisted
Fordtough's Boyfriend

Re: Let's try this again: So I bought a Forester XT.....

Post by twisted »

Me-262 wrote: I already knew how I wanted this one setup from past experience so after giving it a couple of weeks to settle in for any bugs I did a little work to it. Nothing major, just a full suspension swap from an STi and a set of wheels LOL

that looks sick with sti wheels and the drop 8)
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Oh my god, that is one cool Forester. It was probably cheaper because all the lesbians didn't want that fucking hot blue... they only seem to want the "baby puke" colors.

So how does it work buying cars in the states? Do you get your plates and insurance in Canada, fly down, and then pick it up there? Or do you need to register it in the US and redo it in Canada? Have any dealerships given you hassle about warranty on the US-sourced car?

So uhhh... where are you leaving your keys now? I'll be out in your area next weekend and... uh...
Audiophiliac

Post by Audiophiliac »

Nice.
Me-262

Post by Me-262 »

stipud wrote:Oh my god, that is one cool Forester. It was probably cheaper because all the lesbians didn't want that fucking hot blue... they only seem to want the "baby puke" colors.

So how does it work buying cars in the states? Do you get your plates and insurance in Canada, fly down, and then pick it up there? Or do you need to register it in the US and redo it in Canada? Have any dealerships given you hassle about warranty on the US-sourced car?

So uhhh... where are you leaving your keys now? I'll be out in your area next weekend and... uh...
Yeah, around here the Lesbonians only seem to like two tone Grey & Green and other vegetarian colours LOL. Buying from the US is easy, I highly suggest it. You never register it in the US, just get bill of sale & ownership, bring it all to Canada then register. I flew down, had temp plates from MD put on and drove back.

Subaru has recently changed its policy, before they never admitted to honouring any US warranty but now they say they will no longer honour warranty on 08+ Subies but will continue to offer warranty on 07 and older. Since this is an 07 that works for me, now that they have made that statement they are legally obgliged to honour the warranty.

So when you coming to Ottawa ? BTW, not only are cars cheaper in the US, so are handguns 8)
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Actually i'll be scampering around between Toronto and Muskoka... but hey, I figured I would be close enough to rip over and take a test drive at 2am ;). Pity about the gun though... I may have to rethink my strategy.

Geez... it's bad enough that the Canadian dealers are gouging us so much on the prices, but then they go the extra length and try to fuck you out of warranty on a new car. It's bizarre, but nothing new.

I have the same problems with PG gear... it's so ridiculously expensive here... over double the cost as in the states. However if I buy from the US, it also states that the warranty will expire as soon as it crosses the border.

I guess it's just your typical Canadian stealership practice.
Me-262

Post by Me-262 »

Well enjoy the drive in the countryside the Muskoka's are really nice. If you're ever in the neighbourhood drop by during daylight hours and you can go for a test drive without getting a cap in your azz :lol:

There's a class action lawsuit that's been launched lately against Canadian car manufacturers artificially raising prices against the US prices + refusing to honour warranty to punish those that buy elsewhere. If this goes through we'll soon be on par with US pricing which is only fair. I mean really, if I can go all by myself and buy a single Subaru in the US and save $15k then why the extra cost in Canada ? Its sure as hell not shipping costs + taxes, I just proved that one.
davidc81

Post by davidc81 »

HAWT!!! Love it! i was thinking about getting a forester before i bought my z, but i wanted something sportier. i wish they would have brought over the Forester STI. that thing is SICK!

Me-262

Post by Me-262 »

davidc81 wrote:HAWT!!! Love it! i was thinking about getting a forester before i bought my z, but i wanted something sportier. i wish they would have brought over the Forester STI. that thing is SICK!

The truth of the matter is... We have the best of both world's already. The Forester Sport (what I have) already comes with the STi front bumper and grill. For what a Forester STi would cost , its cheaper to pump up the performacne of the Sport version. For less money I can have more HP and better handling than a real FSTi. The big dollar items which I wouldnt' bother with are the Brembo calipers, 18 inch wheels (very heavy) and the 6 speed transmission.
dedlyjedly
Silent but Dedly

Post by dedlyjedly »

:lol: rofl....just messing with ya. :wink: I really like your Forrester and what you've done with it, I just couldn't resist sharing this pic!
Attachments
forester.jpg
forester.jpg (104.88 KiB) Viewed 7880 times
Last edited by dedlyjedly on Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

the 6 speed is a BIG aspect of it though....its super beefy, and has the torque control

if you were to go to the sti level of power on the stock transmission....you wouldn't have the tranny for long :cry:
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
Me-262

Post by Me-262 »

Bfowler wrote:the 6 speed is a BIG aspect of it though....its super beefy, and has the torque control

if you were to go to the sti level of power on the stock transmission....you wouldn't have the tranny for long :cry:
Its a nice tranny but its also heavy. You are thinking of the WRX 2.0 transmission. The 2.5 version which the XT has is much more durable. There are guys running 400+ hp taking them to the 1/4 mile and they last quite a while. If you stay south of say 350hp and don't flog it , the transmission will be just fine. Its the clutch that gives out first. Just don't go too agressive with the new clutch as that will pass the shock to the drivetrain and destroy the tranny. I've seen 100% stock WRX's blow a transmission in months because they put in a way too agressive clutch.

Love the Lesbo poster ! Saw that one on the vortex a little while back. Its so true.
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

ah, that is the tranny i was thinking of. in that case....go nuts!

one of the tuners her in portland has access to loads of wrx trannys and is running almost 400 at the wheels in his wrx wagon. he goes through a tranny about ever 4 months and just swaps in a new one.
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
Me-262

Post by Me-262 »

THere's enough used ones floating around its an easy swap in/out. I would actually consider a 6 speed swap for durability but they're 3k used so unless I wanted to make crazy power (I'll probably stay OEM motor wise until my b-b warranty expires) its not really worth my while.
nick-caper
BANNED!!!!!1111

Post by nick-caper »

Like this ride. Your pick of rims suck. but nobody is perfect
PG Phorum is like a box of empty chocolates. Nothing to appreciate and no satisfaction.
rlockwood

Post by rlockwood »

6 posts, 3 saying "the rims suck"

you win this round.

but imo its your taste in rims that suck.
I'm afraid of widths.
nick-caper
BANNED!!!!!1111

Post by nick-caper »

Maybe but opinions are like assholes. everybody has one ;-)
PG Phorum is like a box of empty chocolates. Nothing to appreciate and no satisfaction.
Zomb1fied

Post by Zomb1fied »

nick-caper wrote:Maybe but opinions are like assholes. everybody has one ;-)
But not everybody acts like one.
rlockwood

Post by rlockwood »

and when one stinks, people dont usually go throwing it in others faces
I'm afraid of widths.
nick-caper
BANNED!!!!!1111

Post by nick-caper »

I dont either.
nick-caper
BANNED!!!!!1111

Post by nick-caper »

Merry Christmas! ;-)
Zomb1fied

Post by Zomb1fied »

Oh love the ride man, hope this one remains safe :)

As you know from before I am a big fan of subarus, especially with the trademark gold rims.

I think they suit the car amazingly well and it looks super nice slammed down like that :)

Nice color car too !