So it begins! (FJ mods)

Have a car? Is it broken? Want to make it faster? Got cool pictures?
mr tibbs
Forum Goatee

So it begins! (FJ mods)

Post by mr tibbs »

I just ordered a roof rack for the FJ and will be ordering a new front bumper this week sometime as well. I got a damn good price on the roof rack via a group buy on the FJ Cruiser Forums. Here are some pics of what it will look like installed, let me know what you guys think!

Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

your getting all kinds of toys! that looks sweet i take it business is going well?
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
ydnap
More like Bannedy...

Post by ydnap »

"Can I add some extra asses to that swine of yours?" - Mephisto, South Park "Elephant makes love to a pig"

Always use that phrase now when someone begins modding :D

Its like pringles, once you pop that first piece of plastic or undo that first bolt theres no stopping :lol:
If you're going through hell keep going

Winston Churchill

"this is the world's most powerfulest high's amp."

Some dumb cunt.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Nice rack 8)
mr tibbs
Forum Goatee

Post by mr tibbs »

Bfowler wrote:your getting all kinds of toys! that looks sweet i take it business is going well?
Actually, since my new business is linked directly to the housing market it's absolutely dead! The GF OTOH is starting a new job on Monday. On top of that her old work is paying her out for her time off and tax returns are coming back. All of that mixed with a don't give a shit attitude lately = many expensive purchases. :wink: :lol: :lol:
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

ARB, huh Mr. fancy pants :wink:

I'd love to buy some ARB gear for my 4Runner but damned if I can justify the costs due to the low cost/usage ratio I'd get out of it.

Been looking at bumpers for some time now, as well as roof racks and spare tire carriers.

I've come to the conclusion that the only cost I can justify is a getting a stock 4Runner swing away carrier from a junk yard and installing it myself, which has a sketchy aspect to it since I'd be drilling and re-enforcing the body.

I think I'd have to start really taking my bitch off-road more often if I was going to buy ANY of that nice stuff :(

We'll see what happens this summer. I have too much city-life right now to get away camping, especially since my wife has next to zero interest in it.
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
mr tibbs
Forum Goatee

Post by mr tibbs »

I can only justify the ARB price because it was in a group buy and it was not full price. The one we really wanted was a Gobi Stealth Rack, but they are close to $1500 shipped. The ARB was about half of that shipped to my door. Here are some pics of the Gobi:

mr tibbs
Forum Goatee

Post by mr tibbs »

Also, here are a few pics of the front bumper we are trying to get:

Wakeup
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by Wakeup »

nice rack...not as nice as Pedi's...but still nice!
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Prefer the look of the ARB rack 1000x.
mr tibbs
Forum Goatee

Post by mr tibbs »

fuzzysnuggleduck wrote:Prefer the look of the ARB rack 1000x.
Really?? I love the look of the Gobi, it just looks sleek and I like how it follows the lines of the FJ. To me the ARB is almost bulky in comparison, but for half the price I couldn't say no. I do like how the ARB is a flat bottom rack though. :wink:
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

i like the ARB better also. it looks more rugged and ready for adventure. like you are getting ready to go on one of those cross continent rally races
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
BG_001

Post by BG_001 »

i also like the arb better. that front bumper you are looking at getting gives that front end a nice rugged look.
2003 Nissan 350Z
Alpine INA-W900
Alpine Type R 6.5 Comps
Phoenix Gold RSdc 102 (2)
Phoenix Gold X200.4
Box by www.zenclosures.com
dedlyjedly
Silent but Dedly

Post by dedlyjedly »

looking good. have you ever considered having the roof paint matched to the rest of the truck? I've seen several at various trade shows and I think it looks great.
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

dedlyjedly wrote:looking good. have you ever considered having the roof paint matched to the rest of the truck? I've seen several at various trade shows and I think it looks great.
I get where the different color roof comes from but I have to say I prefer it on the Land Cruiser. Either way, it's not a big deal to me. There are only a couple things about the FJ I "don't like" but I'd gladly accept one any day :D
mr tibbs
Forum Goatee

Post by mr tibbs »

dedlyjedly wrote:looking good. have you ever considered having the roof paint matched to the rest of the truck? I've seen several at various trade shows and I think it looks great.
There are the 2 that come like that from the factory, one all black and one all white. I like the look of both of them, but any other color just doesn't look right to me. I'll see if I can dig up some pics.
dedlyjedly
Silent but Dedly

Post by dedlyjedly »

I think all that I've seen in one color were all black and it looked damn good.
mr tibbs
Forum Goatee

Post by mr tibbs »

Here is the all white trail team edition:

And here is the all black TRD edition:

I personally love the black on black, but for off roading it's just not going to work for me. That damn thing would show every scratch and it would drive me nuts!!
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

My black 4Runner has lots of wear and some fun trail rash. The paint is not pretty (rust and all) but at least it's mostly even. The hood has a couple larger chips but nothing huge. I also recently repainted the whole right front fender panel.

I swiped a fallen tree point halfway down my truck at 40KM/hour :D

I've been looking into different methods of carrying a spare. There is a custom fab guy that runs a business called CBI Offroad Fab who makes a nice hitch carrier. Downside of that is the loss of my hitch so I can't haul out a trailer... I just learned my neighbor has access to nice one and I can haul it. Now we just need to find someone else with a decent truck and hit the trails and camp... but again that leaves the problem of the spare as I can't safely fit my fullsize spare in the stock underneath location.

Choices, choices... one is a roof rack that I can throw the spare on... but that raises center of balance and I'd hate to carry my spare like that day-to-day. Putting in the 1990 stock swing away requires cutting, welding and even a new tailgate :(

There are some nice things about new vehicles. :oops:
Pedi
Flærdy flærdy børk børk

Post by Pedi »

Wakeup wrote:nice rack...not as nice as Pedi's...but still nice!
Hehe.. Nice one.. :wink:
Selling your Ti9 mids? PM me, please..

I also need a DD10...
Wakeup
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by Wakeup »

TY! :)
mr tibbs
Forum Goatee

Post by mr tibbs »

Well, the rack finally came in today so I just had to spend the afternoon putting it on! Here are a few quick pics, what do ya think boys??!!

stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Giggidy. :wink: