Toyota, honda, and What? Best quality cars

Have a car? Is it broken? Want to make it faster? Got cool pictures?
Fatii

Post by Fatii »

Ofc..

Sry its a "funny pun" in sweden.. :twisted:
Mackenzie
Where all da white women at?

Post by Mackenzie »

Oh I could care less. Crownvics are one of the most reliable cars on the planet 8)
Fatii

Post by Fatii »

fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

It's not that I disagree with you, but by what metric and recorded data is the Crownvic one of the most reliable cars on the planet?

How is reliability measured? By anecdotal evidence? By stress testing in a lab? By trashing the cars all day in real world situations and measuring the wear?

Obviously we all know the police in lots of places in America use Crown Vics and yes they beat them to shit, as necessary to catch the baddies. That's a decent indicator but I'd be more interested to see maintenance logs and costs to keep those cars on the road than to simply accept that since the police use them they must be reliable.

Of course, I don't have the answers for this kind of thing and I'm not asking out of wit or arrogance or to lead you along, I just want to know how "reliability" can actually be measured and catalogued and stated in the fashion that you did.
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

so i know this is going to throw gas on the fire....

but a hammer is more reliable then a nail gun...i will still take the nail gun

oh brian...you just can't let sleeping dogs lie...
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
dgoodhue

Post by dgoodhue »

Their are defiantely lemon out their, but I find some people are such fans of their own cars they sometime have blinders on. I am little anal about how my stuff running.

I had a MKII Toyota Supra dialy driver in the 90's, I sunk a ton of money into it. On mailing list of the time, they had lot of common problems wihich no one would admit. They often would claim Toyota Relibaility when describing what best about their cars. I had Corvette (summer car) at the same time, I honestly think my Corvette was more reliable.

A couple years ago, I bought a Chevy Prizm (same as Corrolla) I quickly searched and every raved about how reliable and maintenance free the car was. I bought one with 50K miles in great shape. You know it what wasn't as maintenance free as everyone describe. I had to do quite a bit of work to get it running and driving perfectly. Was it going to blow up, no, it probably would run a long time in the condition it was in, probably, but it wasn't running 100% either, people have different tolerance levels of a good running car. I have recently read about people have problem with stuck piston rings at 100K miles with the engine I had. WTF!! If I had know it s was going to be all this work, I would have bought another car. I just wanted a car I could get in drive and not have ot work on.

I am not saying Toyota are bad, my father has had great luck both of his Toyota Truck and his 4 Runner. I have had good luck with my wife's Highlander.
Dave
91 GMC Syclone - PG Ti 500.4AL, Boston Acoustic Z6, Exile XT10
12 Legacy - Stock
fordtough1
Twisted's Boyfriend

Post by fordtough1 »

The bottom line is this.

If it has tits or tires you will eventually have problems with it.
Mackenzie
Where all da white women at?

Post by Mackenzie »

fuzzysnuggleduck wrote:It's not that I disagree with you, but by what metric and recorded data is the Crownvic one of the most reliable cars on the planet?

How is reliability measured? By anecdotal evidence? By stress testing in a lab? By trashing the cars all day in real world situations and measuring the wear?

Obviously we all know the police in lots of places in America use Crown Vics and yes they beat them to shit, as necessary to catch the baddies. That's a decent indicator but I'd be more interested to see maintenance logs and costs to keep those cars on the road than to simply accept that since the police use them they must be reliable.

Of course, I don't have the answers for this kind of thing and I'm not asking out of wit or arrogance or to lead you along, I just want to know how "reliability" can actually be measured and catalogued and stated in the fashion that you did.
Well the fact that police have used them for years on end is one kind of indictor, but also realize that the crownvic has been unchanged for the most part since 1998. Same body style in 08. It has only gotten better since produced in 98. Any problems they had in the privious 10 years of production, they went back and fixed the problem.As for maintenence, the parts for these cars are pretty cheap to get. Im not saying its the best car ever, but its dam reliable. The engines/ trans can take some serious abuse.