I think I might have found my new auto shop

Have a car? Is it broken? Want to make it faster? Got cool pictures?
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

I think I might have found my new auto shop

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

I drove down to Canadian Tire today to get a new headlight for the truck along with some other minor items. I purchased the items and all was well.

So go back to my truck and I figure I'm gonna have a peak at my brake fluid level because it's been decreasing lately and my brake system warning light came on today. Low and behold, it's nearly empty. Good thing I have some brake fluid with me in the back. So while I'm topping it up, this guy carrying a jerry can comes up and asks me "what's up?" in a very friendly manner. So I give him the story. He tells about how some of these older, rusted 4Runners are known to have brake leaks especially in the back. He mentions he works for a shop just across the road and tells me to bring it in for a free brake inspection. Of course, they are closed right now but I should come back.

I get home and check them out online... turns out they are a auto shop AND a surf shop! They have great videos that include some comedy with a description of their facilities, services and people. This seems like a really cool shop and they look really on the ball, too for surfers.

Gonna try and bring the truck by tomorrow and report back. If these guys are as nice as the dude I met today, I think I'm going to like it. I just got an instantly good vibe that wasn't just a good salesman masking his salesman ways but you never know.

Auto and surf shop FTW? We're gonna find out.
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

God I love Vancouver.

Small, nice, independent mechanics kick ass.
rlockwood

Post by rlockwood »

that's a pretty crazy combo, but I dont think there are many businesses that wouldn't benefit by doubling as a surf shop.. sounds like a good place to work if nothing else..
I'm afraid of widths.
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Bringing it there tomorrow, I hope. Today was too busy.
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Brought it in today.

Turns out the guy I met on the street was the owner/president. All seems well so far. I had a good chat with the guy again and he showed me exactly where the leak is and what has to be done to fix it. We talked about yota's and broncos for a while :D

I had the leak in my brake line above my gas tank so to replace the line, the gas tank has to come down. Since it's all rusted up there, he's going to let the WD40 job soak over the long weekend. Got quoted 6 hours of work to pull down the gas tank, replace the line and put the tank back up. Parts are "included" because they aren't worth shit.

Bad spot to leak in terms of labor but I need brakes that work.

I also left a message asking them to check my diff and transfer case fluid as I haven't touched those since I bought the truck about 30,000Km ago.

If everything pans out when I pick it up on Tuesdays I'm gonna continue to use these guys!
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

It's official, I found my new shop!

Brake line all fixed :D

I'm getting the truck back tomorrow because they discovered that I'm missing one caliper pin for one of my front brakes and they ordered in the part today, so they'll get it tomorrow (they tried a few from around the shop but none fit!).

He had concerns about getting all those rusty bolts out to pull down the gas tank but everything went well. No busted or rusted in bolts, yay!

I asked them to check my diff and transfer case fluids too because I haven't changed them since I owned the thing and I don't know what kind of maintenance on those "hidden" things the last owner really did. He said the fluids looked fine, no need to replace them. Good to know! I do have maintenance records from the last guy, so I'll check to see if they mention anything about diff or transfer case fluid replacement.

They also gave my truck look over and said it's in pretty good shape for it's age and that there is nothing major I should be worried about! Of course, they didn't do a FULL diagnostics and inspection or anything, just a good look over, which is what I expect and appreciate when I bring it in for just one thing.

That's the kind of service I like: Honest enough to not tell you you need shit when you don't and thorough enough to make sure my truck leaves the shop in good working condition, even beyond just fixing the problem I brought it in for.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

If only they could all be the same way...

Saab dealership lost me at the $1200 alternator. :roll:

How were the labor rates? They are getting upwards of $160/h here... double what they were some 5 years ago.
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

seriously...wtf.

my bmw shop is $85
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

$80/h is what I was quoted at (~$475 for 6 hours).
rlockwood

Post by rlockwood »

Bfowler wrote:seriously...wtf.

my bmw shop is $85
but thats nearly $160/hr canadian these days, right?
I'm afraid of widths.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

rlockwood wrote:
Bfowler wrote:seriously...wtf.

my bmw shop is $85
but thats nearly $160/hr canadian these days, right?
$88.6 :lol:

Yeah, welcome to Calgary. We've got a huge labor shortage, so they jack up the price for everything. Sad thing is my mechanic friends don't see an extra penny :?