Window tinting

Have a car? Is it broken? Want to make it faster? Got cool pictures?
KHPower
Location: In the Phoenix Phorum's boiler room , east of the janitors closet

Window tinting

Post by KHPower »

I have been thinking about adding another layer to the factory tint on my van so its not so easy to look inside my ride while I am parked. My van has all rear sets removed and has nothing but i would say 20 % factory in glass tint all over except the the front driver/passengers windows.

Anyhow , I have seen tinting done a few times by a expierienced guy I used to know but I was quite young when I observed him tinting. i know the basics and everybody has their different methods of tinting windows and I was thinking I might take a stab at it.

I would like to add the right percentagwe of tint to have around 5 % on all the sides of the van /rear side and the drivers and passengers windows to be 15 %.

I went to the local tint shop and they quoted me 250 bucks(20 fee to make it illegal) and that comes with a lifetime warranty.

i love to do projects and self taught myself to paint and do misc stuff and was wondering if I should attept this?

Also , I see at autozone the window tint they have is brand name Gilla and was wondering if that was a good brand? or what brand of film do some of you guys use?

any tips , tricks or recommentdations?
[color=#8040BF]Kenwood 993
Team Sundown:4500D
(2) Digital Designs 9500's
6 Cubes tuning 3 HZ
Team Kinetik: HC3800 ,(2),1200s (2) 600's
Factory Authorized Kinetik ,Sundown,MB Quart Dealer[/color]
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

You gotta buy good tint... the stuff at autozone will always bubble and peel.

I haven't had any luck doing it myself. On the other hand, they did a great job tinting my car for $200, and I would do it again!
rlockwood

Post by rlockwood »

well, the guy I paid $200 let me watch him, and though it didnt take him that long, i'd definately go back rather than give it a shot on my own....

he used 3m film.. dont go with the cheap stuff. not only will it bubble and peel, it will turn purple in 6 months.
I'm afraid of widths.
KHPower

Post by KHPower »

You guys are both correct about just having someone do it for ya. The only reason I considered the stuff at autozone is because I did a basic search of the Gilla brand and I believe it has a lifetime warranty and I guess it was used on all the cars in the newer Fast and the Furious.

It almst seems if you took your time and had the right tools then you might be able to do a good job.

I did get a number from a guy that used to work at this place in town called Pro tint and he said he would beat their price but if I am going to be paying for it I kinda want a gurantee

What are good brands of tint?
6 Cubes tuning 3 HZ
Francious70
Half Baked

Post by Francious70 »

Throw my hat in the ring for getting done professionally.
Boomshackalacka
rlockwood

Post by rlockwood »

my 3m has been on a few years and hasnt changed colors at all. I dont think a guarantee is that big of a deal. My 4 year old scrapes all sorts of sharp toys across his window in the back and its yet to get damaged. I paid an extra $40 for a lifetime guarantee, and the shop closed a few months later.

As long as they'll take care of any bubbles initially...
I'm afraid of widths.
KHPower

Post by KHPower »

I think I will call this shop I mentioned called Pro Tint and ask what window film they use just for research purposes and to make sure I am getting some good window film.

I think the thing that gets me is I seen a neighborkid tint his Monte Carlo in a afternoon and it looks pretty good.

I agree that paying the money would save alot of headaches. I mean Just a rough calculation , for my van ok window film would cost over 100.00 for the tint fu=ilm inself. Then add the tools and time.
6 Cubes tuning 3 HZ
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

KHPower wrote:I think the thing that gets me is I seen a neighborkid tint his Monte Carlo in a afternoon and it looks pretty good.
Well, while it probably is hard to tint yourself, it's how long it lasts looking nice that's really going to matter.
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
KHPower

Post by KHPower »

6 Cubes tuning 3 HZ