Starter rebuild on a '89 chevy celebrity V6

Have a car? Is it broken? Want to make it faster? Got cool pictures?
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

Starter rebuild on a '89 chevy celebrity V6

Post by oldskoolmseriesfan »

Hey guys hows it goin. Ive got a friend in need and she is strapped for cash, so I think Im going to see if I can tackle this on my own. Her starter is done and Im looking at rebuilding it myself. Ive taken many a starter out but have never tried a rebuild. It doesnt seem to hard but if you mechanics out there could give me a heads up or what Im in for , that would be great.
Im also pretty sure I could take it out and take it to the local shop and get it done for roughly $75CAD. I think this would be a fun project, but would like some input from you mechanics.
So feel free to give me your $0.02 worth, thanks guys, Dean. :D
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

I guess the difficulty depends on what is broken. The solenoids can fail, or the brushes, or sometimes the gears...
Pedi
Flærdy flærdy børk børk

Post by Pedi »

Mostly it is the brushes..

But normally, if you just tear it apart, clean it - and sand the brushes - the starter is alive again...

I have done that several times, and most of the times it works..
Selling your Ti9 mids? PM me, please..

I also need a DD10...
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Yep, but when you're in there you might as well change the brushes anyways, considering how cheap they are. Saved myself a good deal of money replacing the brushes on my AC blower motor as well.
Pedi
Flærdy flærdy børk børk

Post by Pedi »

Yeah, but sometimes late at night - you cannot get brushes - and the engine wants its starter at once, hehe...

THEN I am "only" cleaning it...
Selling your Ti9 mids? PM me, please..

I also need a DD10...
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

Post by oldskoolmseriesfan »

yeah thats the thing parts are cheap,im running around back and forth grabbed more tools. ill keep you guys posted, and thanks for the input guys :D :thumbs: