help brian find a new to him car....

Have a car? Is it broken? Want to make it faster? Got cool pictures?
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Bfowler wrote:figured you would say that! you almost have me convinced....why not a 9-3aero?

how many miles are on yours now? what have you had to do in the way of bushings, cv joints etc?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/986903836.html ?
The older 9-3's like the Viggen you posted are stout cars. Only downside with them compared to a 9-5 is torque steer and body flex. Fortunately genuinesaab.com makes a bunch of subframe and strut braces that solve that issue. The Viggens definitely look better, and those seats are fucking incredible.

The new generation 9-3's are the best handling Saabs yet, though you definitely don't want the 03 since they had a bunch of first year electrical glitches. After that they were quite decent, though the new Ecotec engines are less robust stock than the older Ecopower. A new gen 9-3 Aero might be tricky to afford, and it's tougher to tune than a Viggen beyond the 300HP mark. However, unlike the older 9-3's they can be found with 4th gen Haldex AWD, which KICKS ASS and mechanically distributes 95% of the power to your wheels. If you want Darth Vader's personal Saab, check out the Turbo-X version (probably well beyond your budget but a cool car nonetheless).

On my car (110k miles) I have replaced the stock wallowy base model springs with those off an Aero model, which are 10mm lower and comfortably stiff. The stock Aero springs are way underdamped however, but coupled with Bilstein HDs they handle incredibly well without being annoyingly low or bone jarring. To me, a practical Swedish sedan shouldn't be lowered, but there are many kits available if that's what you prefer. It won't beat anyone at the autocross, especially considering FWD forces the wheels back further than they are placed in your BMW, but it's just right on public roads.

As for bushings, the only ones that suck are the front rear control arm bushings, which are FLUID FILLED. Fortunately you can replace them with Poly and never have to worry about them again... they don't hurt the ride at all either, though I wouldn't recommend poly ARB bushings unless you are making a track car.

I recommend the 9-5 Aero model because it comes stock with better springs, bigger brakes, and a bigger more reliable turbo. It's also specced for fully synthetic fluid, whereas the base models initially got semi-synth. They found out the hard way that with a turbo and 15k mile OCI's, the engine can sludge with the semi-synth. Personally I swap my oil with full synth every 5000km, and it has cleaned my previous owner's neglectful sludge right out. Finally, for the price difference between an Aero and a base model, you will actually end up SAVING MONEY if you consider tuning it. I learned that the hard way, now that my car is at 04 Aero spec (yet still has the crappy seats and no bodykit).

I have been pretty happy with the Saab. I picked a piece of shit because I was too eager to get back in a car after 6 months without one, and it was initially unreliable due to heavy abuse and neglect. I found that most issues are caused by simple, easy to replace parts. It's got a timing chain, so there are no regular big jobs on the engine. Even with the Sedan, if you fold the seats down you can carry an enormous amount of stuff. I ended up moving using just my car to carry everything. The Wagon is even more versatile, and look mean with tint. Most of all, it's just a comfortable car. Heated seats front and back, optional vented front seats, (did I mention how comfortable the seats are), and they just CRUISE on the highway. Passing cars is effortless.

I don't think a Saab would be the "BEST" car you can buy. There are probably faster or better handling cars for the money. Still, depreciation makes them cheap, they are exceedingly comfortable and VERY unique. You would learn to love embarassing cocky BMW drivers as well :)

BTW how much do you want for your BMW? The E36 has always been my favorite car but they are way too expensive up here. Though I need another car now like I need an asshole in the middle of my forehead...
rlockwood

Post by rlockwood »

I <3 my wrx, but it definately has a shit ton of interior rattles, and I wish I had gotten a wagon instead of the sedan.

back when I was trying to pick out a car, I test drove most everything at the vancouver Dick Hannah (Automall)

In the end, I liked the wrx, speed3, the mini-s.. I know you ruled out american cars, but I actually liked the pontiac GTO more than everything else I drove.. unfortunately they wanted way too much for theirs (and fuck buying from a dealership anyhow) and they werent very popular on craigslist.
I'm afraid of widths.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Oh yeah, Volvo V70R's are badass as well. 300hp stock AWD wagon with brakes the size of jupiter.
andy600rr

Post by andy600rr »

rlockwood wrote:I know you ruled out american cars, but I actually liked the pontiac GTO more than everything else I drove
Well its in the running then since its Australian built :wink:
M25 x 2, M50, M44, M100, Original MS 275, MS2125 & MS2250 (with shroud), XMax 15, White EQ215X, EQ232, PLD1,BLT, MX3, AX-406A, Basscubes, + Soundstream, Earthquake, RF, Boston, OZ Audio & KEF
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

so far this is in the lead.... :)

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/990186759.html

i drove my roommates legacy around. (non gt) i know the gt will have stiffer suspension which will help. but the car is really numb feeling. i can't feel the road at all. i wont pass to much judgement until i drive an actual gt

the gto is the most likly american car for me to! they look super mean.
Last edited by Bfowler on Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

a very rare techno-violet exterior
So... Brian... are you switching teams?

:D
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
Bfowler

Post by Bfowler »

sigh...yeah i know. and i figure you guys would call me on that too. its very dark when you see it, it even looks black in low light!

but yeah...owning up to having a purple car would be a bit to get over...however...that is the lowest millage m3 i have seen in a LONG time...and the dove interior is my absolute favorite.

fwiw....techno vilot is very respected in the bmw circle...its just everyone else!
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Wow. That is a stunning M3. Fuck it, I even really like the color. But with a car that clean, you absolutely cannot mess with it, or I will personally shove my foot up your ass :lol:

I am sure performance will be fine stock, just try to make sure any interior/stereo mods are fully reversible :)

Only thing I would prefer would be the Alcantara interior, but you did specify leather as a must, so it looks like this fits your bill better.
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

I'm just kidding, that car looks dope. Figured I had to say something though!
Bfowler

Post by Bfowler »

stipud wrote:Wow. That is a stunning M3. Fuck it, I even really like the color. But with a car that clean, you absolutely cannot mess with it, or I will personally shove my foot up your ass :lol:

I am sure performance will be fine stock, just try to make sure any interior/stereo mods are fully reversible :)

Only thing I would prefer would be the Alcantara interior, but you did specify leather as a must, so it looks like this fits your bill better.
what do you take me for :)

the sterio in my car now is even reversible except for the air cut 6.5 holes behind the kick pannels

other mods would be...xbrace to protect the oil pan...and a thermostat/radiator upgrade....other then that...nada
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

DooooooooooooooEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEttttttttttttttttt........
Those tender little burgers with them little, itty-bitty grilled onions that just explode in ya mouth like flavor crystals every time you bite into one.. just makes me want to burn this muthafuka down.... Come on, Pookie, let's burn this muthafuka down!!!
rlockwood

Post by rlockwood »

my boss has a techno violet m3.. very nice in person..
I'm afraid of widths.
Bfowler

Post by Bfowler »

drove it last night....and fuck...its as perfect as he said. it is like a unicorn. its almost a shame to drive it at all. it should be in the bmw musium or show car only or something.

im really torn on it. it would be so stressful owning it! every little thing that happens to it would make me cry. i woulnt be able to park it anywhere without stressing whats happening to it while im not looking...
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Brian... I've found just the thing!!!

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/ctd/1018353965.html
mr tibbs
Forum Goatee

Post by mr tibbs »

stipud wrote:Brian... I've found just the thing!!!

I need the headlights off of that. :oops:
[url=http://www.usbr.gov//][img]http://www.usbr.gov/images/banner-3.jpg[/img][/url]
Francious70
Half Baked

Post by Francious70 »

Oh. My. God.

That is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8) 8) 8)
Boomshackalacka
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

Post by oldskoolmseriesfan »

stipud wrote:Brian... I've found just the thing!!!

WTF Im 8hrs to late to see pics of the pink bute? 8)
Phorum PI!
Square woofers are GAY!!
Bfowler

Post by Bfowler »

awes shucks....looks like someone snagged it from me!

so now i am back to trying to fix leina.... :shock:
Bfowler

Post by Bfowler »

well after much back and forth about keeping the bimmer, and getting 95% of the stereo done...

there is a strong chance i am going to be a mazda owner in the next couple days.

it is just incredible. not as tossable as my current car, but its quite a bit bigger too. the road grip is amazing and the turbo spooling up is the most infectious sound ever

looks EXACTLY like this one:

stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Great choice 8)
Francious70
Half Baked

Post by Francious70 »

FAIL
Boomshackalacka
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Man... I was so sure you were going to buy a Peugeot! :(
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

I CAN"T SEE THE PIC AT WORK!!!!!!!!!!

Is it a mazdaspeed6.............................
Those tender little burgers with them little, itty-bitty grilled onions that just explode in ya mouth like flavor crystals every time you bite into one.. just makes me want to burn this muthafuka down.... Come on, Pookie, let's burn this muthafuka down!!!
Bfowler

Post by Bfowler »

Francious70 wrote:FAIL
internet does a bad job of conveying tone...

is it really a fail? like something odd i should know about the car?
Bfowler

Post by Bfowler »

FuzzyHoNutz wrote:I CAN"T SEE THE PIC AT WORK!!!!!!!!!!

Is it a mazdaspeed6.............................
it sure is!