Water Marks on Black Cars

Have a car? Is it broken? Want to make it faster? Got cool pictures?
AVICJR
Team Coach

Water Marks on Black Cars

Post by AVICJR »

Any tips on washing a black car without leaving any water marks? Sun was harsh today and as soon as I rinsed the car it would almost immediately dry leaving water marks. I re-wet it and dried with a chamois and the marks were still there.

Please add any car washing tips/tricks to this thread, and I'll rename it later.
Wakeup
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by Wakeup »

ooh...I'd be interested to hear as well! :)
Wakeup
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by Wakeup »

Heard that using distilled water for the final rinse helped....

Taken from here:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/archive/ ... -6928.html
bretti_kivi
Shutterbug

Post by bretti_kivi »

or deionised.

Try autopia.com for your side of the pond or detailingworld.co.uk....

have fun ;)

Bret
sudden_impulse

Post by sudden_impulse »

Mequiar's or Mother's Quick Detailer. I use it after washing because it cleans everything off the car.
http://www.autogeek.net/motcalgolind.html
http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-ultima ... ailer.html
You can also get a bottle when you buy a clay bar kit (very recommended by me, makes the car so smooth and shiny).
2001 Grand Am GT
*Kenwood KDC-X693*PG Xenon 600.1*AudioQue SDC2.5 12"*
bretti_kivi
Shutterbug

Post by bretti_kivi »

If you're in Europe and you want / need a clay bar, I'd highly recommend Bilt Hamber Autoclay - so easy my six-year-old can use it. Lubricant is only water, too :)

QD is a good way round the water spots, yep.

Bret
Kaptain

Post by Kaptain »

Depends on how bad the spots are. If they appeared just after washing I have heard that a little vinegar and water will do the trick.

When I was the black Honda it's a two person ordeal. One person keeps the car wet while the other washes.

My red Silverado had really bad hard water spots on it from driving up and down farm roads for 2 years. I had to use rubbing compound and a buffer to get the spots out and then totally wax the whole vehicle afterwards; it took 7 hours total. I will never let it get to that point again.
5.9Limited

Post by 5.9Limited »

whats up...I detail cars for a living...and i must say some of the tips listed above are good ones.. nice work guys...

black cars are tough all around we all know it. I agree with the mcquires quick detailer idea. I have a similar product that I use alllll the time thats the same stuff and it works very well. The de ionized water works pretty well but unless you want to go by 10 to 20 gallons of water every time you wash your car, its tough to do. some places in california actually have DI water fill stations now, so you know it works.

another tip...cars that are polished and waxed with a QUALITY wax on a regular basis won't let the stuff in the water adhere to the paint nearly as much, this results in fewer water spots, and makes what spots you do have easier to clean off. if the water spots are persistant or don't come off, it may be light oxidation taht has resulted from hard water, excessive sun exposure, industrial fallout (brake dust, exhaust, etc) and lack of a quality wax to protect the paint. as stated in a previous post, to fix this you'll need to polish the vehicle iether by hand, or by buffer...if you want tips on polishing, let me know..

you can aviod the hastle if you can wash the car in the shade...I have a 20x20 pop up canopy that i use alll the time to give me some quick shade. if you can't find shade, wash in the a.m when its cooler, or at dusk before sundown..if you all have any other questions feel free to ask. I've gota few tricks up my sleeve.
Is this where Im supposed to write something catchy??
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

do like we do in phoenix in the summer, wash it faster........ When it is over 110 it is hard to drop the hose and grab the towels fast enough.

Unfortunatly I am not joking...
Stryker

Post by Stryker »

x2 on the detailer, you may be in need of a good wax job. paint needs to be nourished and a protective coating ie. wax, is a good start. i'm a fanatical wax guy. if you have a dark color of paint it looks 5x times better when waxed as well. :D
AVICJR
Team Coach

Post by AVICJR »

Stryker wrote:x2 on the detailer, you may be in need of a good wax job. paint needs to be nourished and a protective coating ie. wax, is a good start. i'm a fanatical wax guy. if you have a dark color of paint it looks 5x times better when waxed as well. :D
It's an '08, I bought it in November and have waxed and buffed it once. It's just that the Texas sun is harsh and dries the water very very quickly. I bought some Maguire's Detailer and am waiting to get the opportunity to use it.
5.9Limited

Post by 5.9Limited »

you should have good success with it AVI... just out of curiousity, do have city water or a well?? don't know where you live so I thought I'd ask...well water is tough unless you ahve a filtration system... lots more mineral content etc...

let me know how it works out for you. if you need anything else feel free to ask, I can get some chem's to you that are higher grade than most store bought stuff, and that works extremely well too.
Is this where Im supposed to write something catchy??
dBincognito
Randy Bo-Bandy

Post by dBincognito »

8)
Last edited by dBincognito on Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dBincognito
Randy Bo-Bandy

Post by dBincognito »

8)
Last edited by dBincognito on Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stryker

Post by Stryker »

i use Zaino's it's the best stuff i've used. you can only buy it online. i forget the link but jusy google it.
TiEcs

Post by TiEcs »

Go and have a look on the Zymöl website.
The have super products, but expect to pay for too !!
http://www.zymol.com/index.aspx

Maybe take the "Solaris" wax, it's a bargain for $30k :lol: