18yo builds "Ariel Atom"

Have a car? Is it broken? Want to make it faster? Got cool pictures?
stipud
Voltage Ohms

18yo builds "Ariel Atom"

Post by stipud »

Just read this build log today and it damn near brought a tear to my eye...
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtop ... =36&t=3030

This kid is brilliant. 18 years old. Taught himself CAD, suspension design, welding, etc. and worked his ass off for 10 months to build himself a pseudo Ariel Atom.

Bloody amazing.
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

thats fucking cool. i wonder what the final bill for all that was. (Im sure it says, just too much reading for me to do now)
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Bfowler wrote:thats fucking cool. i wonder what the final bill for all that was. (Im sure it says, just too much reading for me to do now)
$11000, including all tools, software, etc.

It's not an Atom clone either... the chassis cage has the same basic look, but the suspension is very different (and he even made some improvements).

It's worth running through the thread just to look at the pics. He made tons of progress in a short amount of time, since he basically did nothing but sleep, work and build the car. :lol:
andy600rr

Post by andy600rr »

AWESOME!!!!

I've always wanted to build a lotus 7 based car and have it on my 'list of things to do' when I lose interest in bikes.

Thats a very very motivated kid right there. Shame he was short on time and rushed the bodywork (by his own admission) as thats the only thing which really lets it down :cry:
M25 x 2, M50, M44, M100, Original MS 275, MS2125 & MS2250 (with shroud), XMax 15, White EQ215X, EQ232, PLD1,BLT, MX3, AX-406A, Basscubes, + Soundstream, Earthquake, RF, Boston, OZ Audio & KEF
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

andy600rr wrote:Thats a very very motivated kid right there. Shame he was short on time and rushed the bodywork (by his own admission) as thats the only thing which really lets it down :cry:
I found the canvas charming in a grassroots racing kinda way :lol:
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

Man, that's pretty dope. How much fun would that have been? And I thought rebuilding a Datsun 1.2L engine (paint and all, I might add) at 17 was the bee's knees. Now I feel like I missed out!

However... I can't be the only one thinking this... where the hell was my $11,000 when I was 18? I can't even afford an $11,000 car today :(
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
andy600rr

Post by andy600rr »

The other thing that blows me away is that he said that although his father is an engineer, he did all the work basically by himself....... including making his first welder with the guts of a few old microwave ovens :shock:
M25 x 2, M50, M44, M100, Original MS 275, MS2125 & MS2250 (with shroud), XMax 15, White EQ215X, EQ232, PLD1,BLT, MX3, AX-406A, Basscubes, + Soundstream, Earthquake, RF, Boston, OZ Audio & KEF
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

that IS just as baddass as the car! welder from a micro wave....thats amazing.

yeah...i sure didnt have 11k hanging out....at 18...or actually any point in my life
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
scorpio86

Post by scorpio86 »

double that statement.. n if i did have 11k.. as much as i LOVE cars.. i cant say it would be that.. but props to him for sure!
Have no fear, only uncertainty!