photos - "lights"

Like snapping pictures? Amateurs, hobbyists and professionals all enthusastically supported!
bretti_kivi
Shutterbug

photos - "lights"

Post by bretti_kivi »

a little experiment from this evening... and a competition entry, which is why it's not public.

I set up the camera, with its 24/2.8, peering over my right shoulder. On a tripod, aimed, manual focus set to infinite, 2s delay, between 8 and 25 seconds, f22 (too light outside).

hurtling down the freeway:

past some trucks

at the service station (with a traffic island, that's why the curves)

earlier:

in town:

these are the traffic lights on the way back from the Mottoritie, and it's what I'll be using for the competition "lights" unless something better comes up...

nearly home, I take a detour... sharp left / right, that's why the curves...

Comments welcome :)
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Is this for an Audi forum or a photography forum? If the latter I might prefer it without the car in frame.

I do think that the long exposure car shots can be a little cliche though... pretty much every 14 year old girl with a camera has done them.

Instead, I would recommend doing something else... Park your car in the dark, set up the camera to do a long exposure shot of the car, and then run around it swinging various colored lights. If you move fast enough it shouldn't pick up your body much at all, and you will end up with some interesting color reflections and light lines floating around the car. I did this a long time ago with a junky old camera and the result was pretty cool... unfortunately I don't have that pic anymore.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

stipud wrote:I do think that the long exposure car shots can be a little cliche though... pretty much every 14 year old girl with a camera has done them.

Instead, I would recommend doing something else... Park your car in the dark, set up the camera to do a long exposure shot of the car, and then run around it swinging various colored lights. If you move fast enough it shouldn't pick up your body much at all, and you will end up with some interesting color reflections and light lines floating around the car. I did this a long time ago with a junky old camera and the result was pretty cool... unfortunately I don't have that pic anymore.
I would not recomend letting the neighbors see this. I can only imagine what it looked like to someone that didn't know what you were doing.

I thought they were kinda cool.
mr tibbs
Forum Goatee

Post by mr tibbs »

That does look pretty cool. Do you have a sunroof?
[url=http://www.usbr.gov//][img]http://www.usbr.gov/images/banner-3.jpg[/img][/url]
5.9Limited

Post by 5.9Limited »

call me simple, an non photo savy or whatever. but I thought they were all sick... like sick enough I'd frame 'em man. . props man...nice shots... mind if I use 'em??? I totally understand if not...just curious.

really like the shots . well done. :D :D
Is this where Im supposed to write something catchy??
bretti_kivi
Shutterbug

Post by bretti_kivi »

thanks for the feedback. No time to comment more right now, but 5.9; hold fire, I'll try something else tonight and see what happens.

Bret
5.9Limited

Post by 5.9Limited »

no sweat man...I've always loved pics like this...so again.. nice work. :D
bretti_kivi
Shutterbug

Post by bretti_kivi »

so. I will go out now and try this, it's almost dark... at 23:15.....

Bret
bretti_kivi
Shutterbug

Post by bretti_kivi »

new ones:

I'll upload fullsize if you want... or give me your mail address, I'll send them over.

Bret
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

That's better. Now do it without your headlights :)
teamradrz1

Post by teamradrz1 »

I think they look sweet!
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
99 Grand Am GT, Xenon & Ti
71 K5 Blazer, Ti Elite & Xenon
07 Avalanche (still stock, I think wife won)
mr tibbs
Forum Goatee

Post by mr tibbs »

teamradrz1 wrote:I think they look sweet!
x2!!!
[url=http://www.usbr.gov//][img]http://www.usbr.gov/images/banner-3.jpg[/img][/url]
gkitching
Hair Metal
Hair Metal

Post by gkitching »

I did a similar type of shot way back with my 35mm. It was at night at the beach with my mother-in-law sitting and my daughter, who was like 3yrs old then, running around her in circles. The image of my mother-in-law was still, with a look of anguish on her face, and my daughter was a whirlwind around her with her clearer image stopped behind her blowing bubbles. It was totally by accident but was truely an awesome pic.
Greg Kitching
5.9Limited

Post by 5.9Limited »

nice :)
bretti_kivi
Shutterbug

Post by bretti_kivi »

stipud wrote:That's better. Now do it without your headlights :)
okay, if I'm not completely shattered after tonight's work (my car is in pieces at a friend's house, so I have to go get some wood and set up my amp rack tonight...) I think I will try that. The location for that is pretty simple and I'm surprised, but the traffic lights were still on past 11. Most shut down at 10 or so.

Thanks for the comments, guys; tibbs, it should be obvious how these are done, no? the latest ones are without noise reduction and I think they were only 10s.

ohyeah; idea: if I do the August German trip, I might well mount the camera like this and leave it taking a pic every two minutes or so, to meld into a video.....

Bret
andy600rr

Post by andy600rr »

^^Traffic Lights turning off after 10-11pm??

WTF :lol:

The trip idea would be really cool.
M25 x 2, M50, M44, M100, Original MS 275, MS2125 & MS2250 (with shroud), XMax 15, White EQ215X, EQ232, PLD1,BLT, MX3, AX-406A, Basscubes, + Soundstream, Earthquake, RF, Boston, OZ Audio & KEF
bretti_kivi
Shutterbug

Post by bretti_kivi »

so, the final versions:

and

stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

That's better! 8)
mr tibbs
Forum Goatee

Post by mr tibbs »

VEDY NICE!! :clap: