Photograhy Thread

Like snapping pictures? Amateurs, hobbyists and professionals all enthusastically supported!
bretti_kivi
Shutterbug

Post by bretti_kivi »

Thanks.
Yes, I would, especially if you have any old Pentax SLR lenses lying around. The old glass fits and works well, apparently.
This is a bit longer than I wanted, but....
I use mainly a 50mm Macro lens now, the kit lens isn't too hot. Swap it for a 16-45 at purchase if you can.
Shake reduction has it's bad sides, but that's an attribute of the way it works. I'm doing a shoot tomorrow (provided I can walk - I stubbed a toe at the weekend and now my foot's swelling nicely...) of an Impreza that's for sale. I will turn SR off as I'll be using flash and therefore simply don't need it.
I always shoot RAW right now; it helps enormously to deal with minor exposure problems and white balance is a click away.

Definitely get the grip if you can. It increases size, weight, and stops your little and ring finger going round the side of the cam.
Don't buy Pentax original batteries, use EBay Minolta NP400s, they fit and work. I tend to be able to get around 1500 shots from a pair of charged batteries.
High speed SD cards make a difference; I can shoot 5-6 RAWs in a burst and there's no issue with lag. I use Extreme IIIs - 1 4GB and 2 2s. The Grip also has a space for one (which is magic!) and the seperate battery. Put the battery with more capacity in the body; if that's dead, the cam won't turn on, even if the one in the grip still has juice.
The batts don't like cold (32F and below) and will respond with "losing" charge very quickly indeed. The shoot I did on the ice in March - I went out with two full batteries and came back after 30 mins with around 100 shots and 2 "depleted" batteries.

And "Green mode" rocks, as does TAv. Set "1/200, F2.8", ISO can be set to any of the values you allow - from 100-125-160-200, depending on the light. Pressing the Green button then re-sets automatically to what the camera thinks would be good.
Must haves: real flash (EF-530 or 540FGX), 50mm prime, 16-45 F4. D-BG2 Grip. Bag such as Lowepro Fastpack 200. 2 or 3 rapid SD cards. A second battery.
Service uncomplicated, at least in Germany. Had hotpixel issues, called them, went, no paperwork necessary and a ten minute wait. sorted. The way it should be :)

If there's something else you want to know, ask :)

Bret
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

Cool. Glad to see what I've been reading about the camera is more or less true.

I have one K-mount lens that I used to take the photos I posted. It's certainly not a very good lens but the ability to use the older lenses is pretty sweet, especially since there were some really good K-mount lenses from back in the day that are floating around.

I dunno when I'll have budget to drop $1000 on a DSLR but based on your response and my previous research, it still looks like it'll be a K10D.
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
tsonka

Post by tsonka »

You might check out the Nikon D90 that was announced today and will be released Sep 5th.
Have switched to Home Audio:

Anthem Statement A5
Integra DHC-9.9
Klipsch Refrence II 5.1 set up
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

tsonka wrote:You might check out the Nikon D90 that was announced today and will be released Sep 5th.
Retail on it ($1299 with kit lens $1000 without) sounds a tad bit high for me considering that you basically need about $500 worth of accessories after the camera has been purchased. Although, like most things, spending that extra few hundred now to get something "better" may very well be worth it.

But, I like the underdog :D
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Man, I am so jealous of the pentaprism viewfinder in the Nikon D80. The one in my XTi SUCKS. Other than that and lack of auto-ISO, it's the perfect camera for me... so I put up with it :lol:
joyride

Post by joyride »

The D90 is really causing a stir. They have put some things (video) that really arent for photographers, and people dont like it. I guess we will have to wai and see how ti turns out. The one good thing is that the D90 release should drop the price of the D80, which is an excellent camera. The Canon xsi is also another one you may want to look at.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

You know what, I would love to have video. Then I could get rid of my piece of crap point and shoot once and for all!
tsonka

Post by tsonka »

After I get caught up on bills Im serriously looking at upgrading my D50. yes with photgraphy stuff you have to buy all sorts of crap but thing to remember is:

Camera bodies come and go, good glass lasts forever.

If your looking at buying into a camera set up, look past the camera body and pay more attention to if the lenses you desire are avaiable.

Wouldnt be a good thing to buy a DSLR a few lenses then start looking at Nikon or Canon with envy wishing your brand had thier lens line up.

Anthem Statement A5
Integra DHC-9.9
tsonka

Post by tsonka »

Im not too impressed with the built in video either, Id rather just have a good solid camera.

They gotta have a 1 up on canon though and built in video does it. Kinda like amps, nobody makes just a raw high quality amp with zero accessories any more, they all gotta have some xtra nobody else has

Anthem Statement A5
Integra DHC-9.9
bretti_kivi
Shutterbug

Post by bretti_kivi »

thing to remember is:

Camera bodies come and go, good glass lasts forever.

If your looking at buying into a camera set up, look past the camera body and pay more attention to if the lenses you desire are avaiable.

Wouldnt be a good thing to buy a DSLR a few lenses then start looking at Nikon or Canon with envy wishing your brand had thier lens line up.
^^ he speaks the truth.

some stuff from yesterday you might like (WRX STI)
http://www.23hq.com/bretti_kivi/album/3405734
tsonka

Post by tsonka »

Possible feeler here.

Would anyone be interested in buying my Nikon D50 with both 18-55 and 55-200 Kit lenses. $375+shipping. Current ebay value is $400ish
http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-D50-Digital-S ... dZViewItem

All items are in excellent condition, I never call anything perfect but I take very good care of my stuff, Twisted can vouch for that.

I have all boxes and paperwork except warranty cards that I mail in. Well I say in good faith that I have all that stuff. This gear is roughly 1 1/2 years old and if anything is no longer present its a minor enough item that I have forgotten its existance
Last edited by tsonka on Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anthem Statement A5
Integra DHC-9.9
tsonka

Post by tsonka »

Ok, Im really wanting to collect the cash to get that D90.

Put my D50 up on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-D50-6-1-Megap ... dZViewItem

Anthem Statement A5
Integra DHC-9.9
gkitching
Hair Metal
Hair Metal

Post by gkitching »

I would be interested in your sale. I've not gotten into the high end of cameras yet and this looks like an affordable way to start. No? Opinions?
Greg Kitching
bretti_kivi
Shutterbug

Post by bretti_kivi »

high end? not really. Quality DSLR that can produce pictures significantly better than a PoS PnS? (point n Shoot) - definitely.
It would seem to be a nice price, and it's a good start in DSLR. It will also still focus will the older lenses, which the D40 won't.
Check out kenrockwell.com for more.

Bret
tsonka

Post by tsonka »

I didnt put a buy it now option up but if you want it Ill sell it for the $375+shipping. Just be sure to win auction and what ever cost is, Ill sell it to ya for $375+shipping

Anthem Statement A5
Integra DHC-9.9
tsonka

Post by tsonka »

Correct, the D50 has an in body auto focus motor .... the D60 doesnt have it either

Anthem Statement A5
Integra DHC-9.9
joyride

Post by joyride »

I honestly wouldnt call the D50 a bad camera at all. Granted it is only 6 MP, but I have printed twice the size of the native size and it looked perfect. There are a few things that I have encountered that would have been nice to have (faster fps), but I love my camera. Now that I know the style I want to shoot, I may save up for a D700, but I dont need it.

And the $375 is a steal.
gkitching
Hair Metal
Hair Metal

Post by gkitching »

tsonka wrote:I didnt put a buy it now option up but if you want it Ill sell it for the $375+shipping. Just be sure to win auction and what ever cost is, Ill sell it to ya for $375+shipping
That's cool! I'll keep a watch on the sale. However, if it goes up a good deal, will you not owe more to e-bay based on the final sale price? I could send you paypal and you could just end the auction. That may not cost you any extra. Not sure. I don't want to put you out of any extra money.
Greg Kitching
gkitching
Hair Metal
Hair Metal

Post by gkitching »

POOP! I missed this. I didn't realize it wasn't up a full week :x
Greg Kitching
tsonka

Post by tsonka »

Ok, got the D90 today and I gotta say I am completely %100 impressed. Gloomy and rainy out today so no pics but lotta nice controls and options.

Dont ask about the camcorder mode. I shot about 30 sec of video with it and its grainy. But my feeling if fuck the camcorder option. I wanted a camera and it is a very good camera, I think it is a nice step up from the D80 and several steps up from my old D50.

The people on the Nikon forums who are crying about the camcorder function can just go buy a camcorder and a point and shoot to go along with it if the camcorder is more important to them then top quality still photos.

Anthem Statement A5
Integra DHC-9.9
bretti_kivi
Shutterbug

Post by bretti_kivi »

I was out this afternoon.... got these:

bretti_kivi
Shutterbug

Post by bretti_kivi »

ttt:

stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Even Finland still has leaves on the trees!

Calgary. :roll:
bretti_kivi
Shutterbug

Post by bretti_kivi »

:lol: :lol: