Product Suggestions

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
MW3
Morgan @ PG

Post by MW3 »

Why don't you guys give me some suggestions on product. Broken into two categories.

1. What will sell in today's market?

2. Who cares about sales, what is really cool? (aka Frankampstein, Reactor, etc).

Morgan
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

A product that will sell in today's market........... :hmm: A line of stylish amps....... Maybe MS-esk style sinks.......Simple yet elegant. I always loved showing the gold circuitry in PG amps.......

As for a "who cares about sales" line...... Well that's a whole other thread. :lol: We all dig the MS/M/ZPA/ZX lines from the "Made in American" days.

We got excited about the possability of an RSdC component set to compliment the woofer.
Those tender little burgers with them little, itty-bitty grilled onions that just explode in ya mouth like flavor crystals every time you bite into one.. just makes me want to burn this muthafuka down.... Come on, Pookie, let's burn this muthafuka down!!!
Stryker

Post by Stryker »

I've always liked the fact that some or all of the insides are viewable with windows or plexi, Gold boards. I love my RSd's and seeing the innards is so cool. Thats good to hear hopefully PG can make it all the way back. Competition is very stiff from all the other company's out there so I hope this will be a long term deal and not a give up if it does not turn around immediately.
screw car audio, I'd rather go fast....errr, wait a minute.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

I agree that windows are cool to look at on amps that are worthy and the old gold boards certainly fit that bill. I would love to see a couple of different lines as we all know that you need something that will satisfy the masses but when this happens the high-end market seems to dry up. I think there is room for both as long as the hign-end line is up to snuff.

I also miss the old personal pg where you could get custom paint jobs and mix stuff up.

Aamp/pg hiring?
Audiophiliac

Post by Audiophiliac »

1. Understated and classy in looks (MS, ZX for me)

2. Small form factor.

3. All connections on one end.

4. 5, 6, and/or 7 channel options.

5. Built-in DSP in the amps.

6. Keep the LPL. :)

7. OEM integration capabilities (CleanSweep, PXEH650, 3Sixty, etc)

What I want is a 7 channel amplifier with 6 x 50, and 1 x 500. Bridgeable for sure. Built in DSP I can connect my laptop to and tune the system easily. The size should be small....maybe 16x9-ish. I want to plug my headunit (whether it is OEM or aftermarket) into the amp and be done. No need for a bunch of external boxes. If it was modular, even better.....then you could have just a straight amplifier, or add a xover module, a PEQ module, a DSP module, and/or whatever else you want....add a mic for auto-calibration (audyssey)....etc....

and that is just for amps!

For speakers, just give us something that sounds good and is easy to install! I loved my XT65s.....coaxial mounting options for the comp. sets is a must. And adjustments in the passive is very useful. Make them efficient too.

Same for the subs.
lashlee

Post by lashlee »

Another version of the dd5 and dd10. And bring back all sizes of primary wire that match, for us that are anal about wiring in our installs!!!
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

lashlee wrote:Another version of the dd5 and dd10. And bring back all sizes of primary wire that match, for us that are anal about wiring in our installs!!!
I'll second the DD5/10....... Has tobe one of the best install goodies.
Those tender little burgers with them little, itty-bitty grilled onions that just explode in ya mouth like flavor crystals every time you bite into one.. just makes me want to burn this muthafuka down.... Come on, Pookie, let's burn this muthafuka down!!!
rscecil007

Post by rscecil007 »

Morgan,

I think you may have to split the difference, in terms of products.

I think you may have to make some well produced stuff overseas the market will go after (to compete with say Alpine's PDX, etc etc), in order to stay profitable, but maybe also offer a single high end line us PG junkies will go after. Maybe making the high end made in the USA (not sure how feasible that is.)

I mountain bike, and I know a few of the frame makers are doing this. Santa Cruz for one, most of the manufacturing of their frames are being made overseas, but a few of the higher end frames are still made and welded by SAPA there in Oregon.
"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."
joerg
SOFA-KING

Post by joerg »

As for the first point i would suggest u change the logo form the PG sign back to something that say´s "phoenix gold" again! Lot´s of people stopped buyin PG because the appearence changed so much!
I fully understand that you have to sell tons of gear these days and it´s not easy with everybody wanting everything for next to nothing. Why not going the way of two different lines from phoenix gold? One that´s for serving the masses and a line for people that´s for the inner circle with a lower prodction number that want to spend more on their systems.

As for the cool factor i think u should do a similar thing, phoenix gold did with the octane LE, to show customers u are interested in their opinion again, and start some kind of name giving competition. And i´m pretty sure everybody welcomes a new LE amp these day´s!

And another thing. There are lots of people in here, or showing up in here, that are looking for certain spare parts (me want 2 franked MS2125 front enplates) and all kinds of stuff to refurbish their amps. I would rather pay phoenix gold 25USD for one of those power connector housings from the MS-series instead of buying a trashed amp for 200USD all the time.
Music is silver, PHOENIX is GOLD
MW3
Morgan @ PG

Post by MW3 »

Good input. Keep it coming...
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

I too think there is a market for ol' school referb parts...... As well as full on repair and custom support.

IMO..... One of the best things for a company to do is offer tech support. While I realize it gets annoying to be on the phone all day, it was the level of service I was most happy about when I got my M100/M44 in 96'. If I had a problem or question I could call and get an answer. I figured that if I was willing to spend the money I should be able to get help but I was always impressed with all the "other" info given at will. These days email is the best but sometimes ya just can relay certain things in text so a human ear(knowledgeable ear :wink: ) is a must.

I'll also second the "Phoenix Gold" badging suggestion. Shortening the name of anything gives me a "cheap/sub-par" feeling. Make a statement and leave no question who made it.
andy600rr

Post by andy600rr »

One more vote here for some form of visable innards and understated cosmetics. Brands like Brax / Sinifoni / TRU prove that an amp does'nt have to have a fancy ass shaped heatsink or be marketed to the 'tuner' market in order for these makers to be sucessful in the higer end of the market.

On the flipside of that, I agree that 2 lines are needed. One a premium product to compare to those already mentioned, and also a cheaper line which offers great value per $$.

Personally, (and I know this could start a war) I don't care if the amp is made in the USA, China, Korea etc. Whats more important is that it is built to last and not like so many of the 'disposable' electronic products we see these days. Further to this, I'm with Harold in that tech support and support for older products is also VERY important. This could be a great 'point of difference' for PG as a marketing tool. How many other companies are out there leading the way in support and backup??

:hurr:
M25 x 2, M50, M44, M100, Original MS 275, MS2125 & MS2250 (with shroud), XMax 15, White EQ215X, EQ232, PLD1,BLT, MX3, AX-406A, Basscubes, + Soundstream, Earthquake, RF, Boston, OZ Audio & KEF
smgreen20

Post by smgreen20 »

I don't know what else to add to what's been said other then to make it known by the count of "one more" that I too love the visible innards. The look, size, and power of the ZX series was my fav of all the PG lines.

A high line that utilizes a DSP for setting up. A digital gain setting that's visible in digital form in .1v increments from say .6v- 8v, bass boost on/off, LPL, digital xover, bandpass optional. All true quality parts.

A cheap line in the robust form that the XS series amps were would be greatly welcomed.

I'd also like to see a TRUE effort in some serious SQ speakers. The Elites were their best effort to date, but still had their short comings. Maybe something in line w/the RE xxx comps or in relation to Morel, maybe this time go w/Dynaudio.

I also feel in todays world of saving space that a single chassis 6-7 channel amp would be a welcome site. 50 x 4 (A/B) + 250 x 2 (class D) all chs bridgeable.

I also have to agree, come back out w/a a DD5/DD10 and a new -/+ fused distro in one chassis.
"ZPA's will have the same sound essentially as you get from the MS, they just feature a bigger shinier set of balls."

Install:
http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16998
Misfire

Post by Misfire »

Again, I am only adding my 2 cents worth. I have been a Phoenix gold fan since I was first introduced to the MPS2220 my friend bought in 1992. I agree with everyone here that visible boards are awesome, through windows or plexi bottoms. Though I must add that my favorite lines are the MS/MPS and the M series. Though I also run the zx and ti lines as well.

And yes, I must agree, please bring back the dd5 and dd10. I really need one!

I know competing for sales with in the industry will be tough, and I know you must always know that the bottom line counts, cause you must be profitable to stay in business. So again, two lines would be better, an entry line and high end line as well. And the addition of working on/supplying parts for the older amps that we all love here would be the greatest way to keep the Phoenix Gold core base adding to the bottom line, as well as a great marketing tool. This one idea alone would add a HUGE value to a great product. I would highly recommend the Phoenix Gold brand, because once you spend the money on the product, you know it will be around for years. Unlike so many amps bought today. Hell, in my mind their is only one brand to buy, at least for this old man's ear anyway.

Thanks for your time.

Leeds
vin78
Vin Diesel

Post by vin78 »

Whatever it is, please no full range class Ds :pray:

As for cosmetics, Im more then satisfied with nothing but heat sink (ie MS series).

I would also like nothing but aluminum, no steel please.

I really like the precision Xenon xovers as well. But if a flagship line is considered, I would love an amp w/o processing....this includes bass boost :)
waynehead
No, you're a towel.

Post by waynehead »

Yeah we dont need no stinkin bass boost
We don't need no stinkin' bass boost!
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

could you guys consider doing some aniversary lines like RF did with the old puch power lines?
waynehead
No, you're a towel.

Post by waynehead »

yeah soundstream came out with the reference line again as well. Im not sure how the market is taking it but I myself like it.
We don't need no stinkin' bass boost!
itchnertamatoa
Itchy Tomato

Post by itchnertamatoa »

wohooooo
nice to hear we got someone we know in the works with "new PG" :clap: :clap: :clap: well done Morgan

As everyone's said it, M/MS/ZP/ZX line and DD5/10
keep it simple, yet powerful and affordable
that should do the job

Ii also liked these
http://phoenixphorum.com/post112255.html#112255
[url=http://www.phoenixphorum.com][img]http://phoenixphorum.com/templates/Titanium/images/logo.jpg[/img][/url]
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

I've been thinking about this all day and came up with this idea.......Another "Name this amp" contest just might be worth the effort..... Advertise the new line/lines by forcing people to view a couple web pages of product pic's and info before they can place an entry for the LE. Lock the page until a 30-45 second video has finished and then they can continue. The money spent on regular marketing alone would cover the build of a LE amp and pull in tons of people to the AAMP website for the chance at a "free" amp from Phoenix Gold.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

its funny but you would not need to re-invent the wheel to make the die-hards happy...... You could make a run of the same old stuff and us and anyone that knew would snap them up like pizza at a frat party.
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

hey morgan...honestly...i think the rsd / rsdc direction PG has been going is great. needs some marketing dollars, but great product!

same with the exile lineups. you have the cosmetics and performance dialed in! the only constructive criticize i have is keep the LPL type bass remote...ax that large unit that has a small circuit board that you used for the shift amps! those type of remotes are a PAIN to mount!
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
Irongoats

Post by Irongoats »

What they all said too new to add input.
MW3
Morgan @ PG

Post by MW3 »

Couple comments:

- Cosmetic and specific parts for older amps are becoming more and more scare. Its pretty slim pickings at this point keep in mind some of these amps are 10 to 15 years old now.

- LPL will not change.

- I agree RSD stuff is very nice. Speakers sound great.

Great input keep it coming.
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

What we're getting at is that there is a market to keep these 10-20 year old amps in working order. Endplates, connections and plexi's seem to be almost impossible to find so the door is open. I know it would be worth spending the money to have a "lot" of power/ground/remote blocks and spearker blocks made if even only in black. They'd cost maybe a dollar each and sell them for $10 Endplates aren't that hard or expensive to reproduce either really. A paint booth/powder coat oven and a silkscreen table. Have them laser cut by the 4'x8' sheet at a local shop when needed.
An initial investment in this area could prove profitable aswell as show a comitment to the PG loyals and potential customers.