The One - review

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
gridracer
RIP

Post by gridracer »

I got a friend with a huge PG alternator that he will likely never use again might have to see how much he will give it up for.
Mackenzie
Where all da white women at?

Post by Mackenzie »

I cant see the guts picture that was posted.. Someone download it and post it regularly please.
Shinju

Post by Shinju »

I got the gut shots right here.

El-Akeem

Post by El-Akeem »

Look at this:

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=454602

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=448858

It seems that "The One" will be the first limited edition am from PG, that you can buy from a couple of different brands... :(
MW3
Morgan @ PG

Post by MW3 »

Our electrical and mechanical team are still finalizing items. Our prototype version uses an open tool heatsink and some stock parts for initial testing. Wait for the final version before you jump to any conclusions.
Morgan West
Phoenix Gold Product Manager
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

............... :hmm:
Well not to call the kettle black.............but that's a black kettle...... :shock:

But atleast I've heard that American makes a decent amp aswell..... Never heard or played with 1 but...... I'll wait to see the finish product.......
Those tender little burgers with them little, itty-bitty grilled onions that just explode in ya mouth like flavor crystals every time you bite into one.. just makes me want to burn this muthafuka down.... Come on, Pookie, let's burn this muthafuka down!!!
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

wow..................

shoulda known......... :naughty:
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

This really doesn't concern me whatsoever. So PG shares some engineering with a few other companies... it's either that or you don't get a high wattage PG amp at all! They aren't a big enough company to do all the R&D to make something like this from scratch. I think it was a smart move to score some points in the SPL scene without blowing budget that would be better spent improving the bread and butter amp lines!

Besides, what's unique about getting a bajillion watts out of a class-D? Who here could even use this amp? Unless there are any SPL competitors with 16v battery banks lurking in the shadows on here, I don't think any one of us could effectively use this amp.
ChaosWarlord26

Post by ChaosWarlord26 »

I've got the battery bank to support it, but no alt yet..... or subs that could handle it.....
Extreme Goddamn Ouch!!
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Oh right, I forgot you were switching to 16v...

So we have ONE member who may one day be able to use this amp. :lol:
denim

Post by denim »

Kevin?
jbondox

Post by jbondox »

Now this is going to probably a long drawn out response, but I will try to keep it simple and to the point without going off in 100 directions.

First and foremost, the write up on the PASMAG describing the failure of the old PG losing focus is pretty much spot on. Something happened back then and hindsight, it would probably be more profitable to outfit new houses with equipment that come with none, than a vehicle that comes with an audio system already

however, they talked about reputation and quality. How many times did the last PG name holder try using that approach? Twice??? now Aamp?

This abomination is just that, a failed attempt to use the "once was name" to market BS

I tried to stay out of it and keep my mouth shut, but you guys forced me to comment, and this is the result.

Let's look at the new PG approach... "the one" or as I refer to it the abomination

Your gear is referenced to the American Bass company... The once and proud name, once the pinnacle is now reference to the off the shelf, throw some gear together, and whore it out... not to mention there looks to similiar amps from 2 other companies.

do we need to find the same supplier??? http://www.alibaba.com/

So now it comes to 4 amps, same claim or inflated, same manufacturer, what is left? oh the pricing... If the consumers which you think are obviously stupid figure out that amp A is same as amp D (besides the name) and amp C is $500 cheaper.... who is going to sell their amps?

obviously we can keep hearing about renditions of the amp and what not, and having days in-between, is that because it is all outsourced? yes! so you have to wait for china to make the changes and send some pictures back in chinglish to say hows this look? Freaking sad! and comical at the same time...

Then comes the other issues that "the one" brings up

you market it to who? the spl guys???

when was the last time that you looked or talked to any company that was doing spl and found that it was profitable? or even worth it? let me guess, you do things on impulse, maybe it was a Chinese fortune cookie that told you guys to do it... wow that is a good idea, toss one of those in with every amp and have it say "you good fortune 14,000 watts" need to talk to kicker...

anyways the spl guys are all cry babies, something breaks it is the gears fault, then the company, the trash talking begins, then the black eyes are forever stuck with the company

Not to mention everyone of them think they need it for free or heavily discounted because for some reason they are more special then the other guy and are going to rep your product.... paleeze, you all heard the same ol crap before, though you go ahead and play the game anyways. You think you are going to win? ask RF the answer

so lets just say this is all fine, you can live with marketing chinese amplifiers like everyone else... let's look at who is going to buy these? forget that, let's see what is needed to run it

3 runs of 0 gauge and how many alternators on top of the price of the amp? oh yeah this is going to be a huge seller :roll: :liar:

I see this as another epic failure just like the past 2 attempts.

I can't believe that PG graduated to importing boxes to warehouse...

Some serious poor decisions in my eyes, and now you are just another maxxonics, purveyors of crap trying to live off of "once was names"

I am sure I burnt a lot of bridges in the past, by me commenting I am sure this is going to be another.
James Shields
[email][email protected][/email]
[url]http://www.northolmstedperformance.com[/url]

[img]http://www.northolmstedperformance.com/images/Business_card_front.sized.jpg[/img]
MW3
Morgan @ PG

Post by MW3 »

Jim,

Your input is always appreciated. Good, bad or ugly. We are all big boys here.

Sorry you don't like the amp.
Morgan West
Phoenix Gold Product Manager
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

so when do we get to see a pricesheet..............? :hmm:
Those tender little burgers with them little, itty-bitty grilled onions that just explode in ya mouth like flavor crystals every time you bite into one.. just makes me want to burn this muthafuka down.... Come on, Pookie, let's burn this muthafuka down!!!
gridracer
RIP

Post by gridracer »

Well isn't this interesting.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

so is the american bass the one, or is it #2? Will there be a #3 or #4 under different names? Maybe we should call it Quasi-limited since we can get it from at least 2 different sources? :snooty:
scottn29

Post by scottn29 »

I dont think this will sell well at all. And to call it a limited edition is a joke. It is the exact same board as 3 other amps that I can confirm as of right now, I am sure another couple companies are using them also.

So are the TI amps just re badged designs also? This is sad, as I dont want to purchase something that is already sold under different names.

I hope PG does well but I would bet they will be selling the name again in acouple years.
benny

Post by benny »

*disappointed*
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

What would you guys prefer? I see three options...

1) PG makes SPL marketing amp with shared engineering
2) PG makes unique SPL amp from scratch, blows their engineering budget, and has no money to make the normal amps any good
3) No SPL amp

I can sympathize with your passion, I feel the same way! But since PG is a business you need to look at things from a business perspective as well. As Kevin and Morgan stated, this amp is a "shout out" to the SPL scene. This will not sell well, ergo it is a "limited edition". I don't think there's much point in spending their entire R&D budget on this amp when they should focus on the regular gear that you and I would buy! An amp like that is basically a sledgehammer; all that matters is it produces a ton of power. Clearly this is not where PG should be spending their R&D budget.

We have yet to see the internals for the new Ti series, and in a few years we might even see a Ti limited edition amp :)
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

Post by oldskoolmseriesfan »

stipud wrote:What would you guys prefer? I see three options...

1) PG makes SPL marketing amp with shared engineering
2) PG makes unique SPL amp from scratch, blows their engineering budget, and has no money to make the normal amps any good
3) No SPL amp

I can sympathize with your passion, I feel the same way! But since PG is a business you need to look at things from a business perspective as well. As Kevin and Morgan stated, this amp is a "shout out" to the SPL scene. This will not sell well, ergo it is a "limited edition". I don't think there's much point in spending their entire R&D budget on this amp when they should focus on the regular gear that you and I would buy! An amp like that is basically a sledgehammer; all that matters is it produces a ton of power. Clearly this is not where PG should be spending their R&D budget.

We have yet to see the internals for the new Ti series, and in a few years we might even see a Ti limited edition amp :)
\

Allways the voice of reason, eh Tom :roll:

I agree with what your saying but I am a little put off still because the "uniqeness" factor is non existant, even the the top of the amp is the same except for the badging and color :(
Phorum PI!
Square woofers are GAY!!
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

i guess all i think about it is...dont label it a "LM" and certainly think of another name besides "the one" its just a normal big ass amp that is still cool, and im still glad pg is making it.
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
Pillow

Post by Pillow »

This thread has been much more educational than I thought it would be!

I feel dumber for reading the caraudio thread :shock: That place is crazy, I do not know why the seasoned guys stay there and take the abuse.

Jim brings up some great points and very legitimate concerns about the future of the PG brand. We will just have to see how it plays out.

The One, of course has a limited market. I think the goal isn't a profit here but creating a buzz to sell the mainline products. No secret on that.

I for one would like to see PG establish itself as an all USA brand again. Even if that means higher prices. The SQ guys will appreciate it and buy the products. There are still subs/speakers/amps made in the USA from small companies. Just focus on quality products that built PG in the first place.

I am not throwing out BS, look at my build list and most of it is USA made... I just have a moral issue with buying red China when alternatives are available.

Thanks for the bandwidth on this one!
2003 Saab 9-3 Vector: Faital, Dayton, JBL,+ DIY mixed up mess
1979 Porsche SC: Kenwood X-994, X100.2, RSd6.5cs
1971 Chevy C-10: wind noise
jbondox

Post by jbondox »

Stipud, what R&D budget? the Chinese built it.... they will tailor it to your needs ... R&D... what's that

maybe you don't see the big global picture, off the shelf parts, just add name. you think bob at American Bass (who has one of "the one") has an engineering degree in acoustics and electronics...???? LMAO

look if you need to play the PR card, fine... just don't comment, but what you wrote kind of contradicts your other posts

Peace
James Shields
[email][email protected][/email]
[url]http://www.northolmstedperformance.com[/url]

[img]http://www.northolmstedperformance.com/images/Business_card_front.sized.jpg[/img]
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

jbondox wrote:Stipud, what R&D budget? the Chinese built it.... they will tailor it to your needs ... R&D... what's that

maybe you don't see the big global picture, off the shelf parts, just add name. you think bob at American Bass (who has one of "the one") has an engineering degree in acoustics and electronics...???? LMAO

look if you need to play the PR card, fine... just don't comment, but what you wrote kind of contradicts your other posts

Peace
Huh? But that's exactly my point. It's not contradictory whatsoever...

I don't think this amp would sell in high enough numbers to warrant PG spending any significant R&D budget on it. I would rather they put their money into developing unique mid and lower level amps (which we could actually buy and use in our regular cars) instead of an SPL marketing amp made for a handful of show cars.

So to recap, I have no problem with THIS INDIVIDUAL amp using an off the shelf design, as long as the mainstream amps aren't. If the Ti's and Xi's are copies of other amps, then we can start worrying about the future of PG.
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

Post by oldskoolmseriesfan »

Heres something to chew on, how is it that a company like Audison who has been around since the dawn of time, why are they still in the "niche" market for so long and they havent deviated from theyer build quality, and still have the "in home build house" and are revered as probably one of the top five SQ amp designers, oh I forgot Larry F is there, Larry probably jumped the PG ship when they started talking about the "masses" :roll:

This thread is really pissing me off because PG is supposed to make this big spash and all they are doing with this amp is cookie cutting it with 5 other brands, the reason why I got into car audio at the age of 15.5 was the shear awesomeness of the M series, all I had to do was grab an M50 and 2 really efficient subs and I had killer clean power and shit loads of SPL from one amp, why couldnt they have splashed the water with a 1000 watt class A/B amp instead of tickling the generic cookie cutter rap kiddies little testes? Oh wait they wont even buy the PG badged amp because the can get it for WAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY less from a different company??

I cant bite my tongue anymore because.....no offense Morgan, but I feel that all the hype has led to a HUGE KICK IN MY PG BALLS :evil:

Im done for now, PLEASE MORGAN TELL ME OTHERWISE, all hope is lost at the moment!!

Im not jumping ship but Im with James on this one, it seems like a long road that just comes to another dissapointing end :evil:

If the Ti's and Xi's are copies of other amps, then we can start worrying about the future of PG. And this looks all too true!
Last edited by oldskoolmseriesfan on Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phorum PI!
Square woofers are GAY!!