The One - review

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

jbondox wrote:look if you need to play the PR card, fine... just don't comment
Are you implying Tom is being paid to play the PR card for AAMP?
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
El-Akeem

Post by El-Akeem »

Phoenix Gold in Portland, Oregon, seemed to have an own r&d department until the company was sold. Even while they took the manufacturing to China (which became necessary in the last years), they obviously kept their development in house and so they were able to create truly unique products. I haven't seen any RSd or Ryval clones for other brand so far. And the products, that I have checked (RSd 500.4, RSd 12, RSdC 122, RSd 65cs, Ryval V752), are all well engineered and show a lot of attention to detail.

But so far, AAMP has only presented Asian OEM engineered products without any highlights and the so promoted highlight turns out to be only the latest version of one of the Asian SPL boards, that has nothing to do with audio and that no one will talk about in 2 years, when the next generation of these amps will be out, featuring 4 1/0 gauge powerterminals 20.000 watts at 16 volts....

The only good thing so far is that tey will bring back the great Phoenix Gold logo. But is that enough to call it a rebirth?
NewOldStock

Post by NewOldStock »

stipud wrote:So to recap, I have no problem with THIS INDIVIDUAL amp using an off the shelf design, as long as the mainstream amps aren't. If the Ti's and Xi's are copies of other amps, then we can start worrying about the future of PG.
gotta agree with stipud on this one. Chances are REAL good that "The One" is a marketing move ... not "the direction" of PG. CES is all about show, glitz, etc... having a 10gagillion watt amp thats 40feet long and is actually attainable to the average user is a decent marketing tool for a relaunch.

It doesnt mean that PG as a whole has taken a turn toward anything... Time and the new products will tell us that, not this single amp.

Before I sold my performance parts business, I saw the value in having a Ferrari parked in my ads... even though only 1 little $10.00 piece would even come close to fitting it. The masses couldnt afford the car, but they could afford the parts... and a 1200.00 per session marketing tool made lots of money. I didnt make parts for Ferrari's, I made parts for Motorcycles and 4x4's. I made parts for Saturn Vue's and Subaru WRX's...

I wouldnt believe that PG is turning into a cookie cutter just yet. I am not losing all hope of a valiant return of PG just based off of one amp... hopefully it will be an anomaly some day - "The One" - If PG of old build some monster LE amp with RF or SS back in the day and called it "The Sasquatch" or something as silly as Frank-amp'n'stein using the RF board and the MS heatsink, think it would be regarded highly today? I think it would... hell, it might have even given RF a boost for being good enough to be in cahoots with PG.
andy600rr

Post by andy600rr »

I, for one am not going to 'Count my chickens before they hatch'

Jumping to immediate conclusions about the future direction of PG is crazy on the basis of seeing 1 SPL amp.

Will this amp be a big seller.......no.

Will this amp be something that I would want to own........no.

Will this amp maybe make people stop and have a look at the other product that PG will make/wholesale (whatever)........maybe. And I'm sure that it's just that 'maybe' that they are hoping for. :pray:
M25 x 2, M50, M44, M100, Original MS 275, MS2125 & MS2250 (with shroud), XMax 15, White EQ215X, EQ232, PLD1,BLT, MX3, AX-406A, Basscubes, + Soundstream, Earthquake, RF, Boston, OZ Audio & KEF
bruther

Post by bruther »

For those of you "in the know", quick question...
Even though i myself like the performance, cosmetics and nostalgia of the old amps ( preferably the M series Limited Edition)...Are the newer PG amps better than the old amps...in reference to build quality, craftsmanship, parts that they use? I get that everyone loves the old amps...what they mean to their childhood and everything but based on actual facts, not opinions, are the new amps better than the old amps? I don't know the answer...I know what my ears like and only my ears.

And this question is also for amps of other brands...like Audison, RF or Zapco...I understand that they may not have had their amps built in the same factory but where do the parts come from? Whether it be a transistor, capacitor, power supply... reason I bring this up is that if you use a car as a comparison then most people would be shocked to know that a lot of parts that are in BMW's, Audi, Benz, volkswagon have the same parts that are used in vehicles like Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Ford. I'm not saying every part but a lot of parts are used in vehicles that are good and vehicles that are bad.

I hear the argument about being built in Europe or made in the USA or hand built, cookie cutter or not cookie cutter...FYI if it's repeatable then its called cookie cutter. It's also viewed as a product of the modern assembly line... technically, every amp manufacturer makes a cookie cutter amp whether they produce 5k or 500k amps. Now I don't know if these new amps are any good. I heard a lot of negative reviews of the "looks" of the RSD amps but every techincal review of them thought they were very well built. Sometimes it makes a difference what you wrap around all those parts... Volkswagon=Audi / Nissan=Infiniti. You pay more for an Audi and Infiniti than you would for a Volkswagon or Nissan. Not because they have some special parts or were hand made or were built by little elfs. My infiniti is a Nissan wrapped in a more "attractive" covering.

My argument is NOT that these new amps are great or terrible ( to me the new TI amps look nice externally, from what I've seen to date, which is as far as I can say) but I don't know if just saying they are "cookie cutter" makes them junk either...Though they could very well be...
1-Phoenix Gold Outlaw
1-Phoenix Gold Bandit
jbondox

Post by jbondox »

stipud wrote:
jbondox wrote:Stipud, what R&D budget? the Chinese built it.... they will tailor it to your needs ... R&D... what's that

maybe you don't see the big global picture, off the shelf parts, just add name. you think bob at American Bass (who has one of "the one") has an engineering degree in acoustics and electronics...???? LMAO

look if you need to play the PR card, fine... just don't comment, but what you wrote kind of contradicts your other posts

Peace
Huh? But that's exactly my point. It's not contradictory whatsoever...

I don't think this amp would sell in high enough numbers to warrant PG spending any significant R&D budget on it. I would rather they put their money into developing unique mid and lower level amps (which we could actually buy and use in our regular cars) instead of an SPL marketing amp made for a handful of show cars.

So to recap, I have no problem with THIS INDIVIDUAL amp using an off the shelf design, as long as the mainstream amps aren't. If the Ti's and Xi's are copies of other amps, then we can start worrying about the future of PG.

I am sure the schematics and parts list for the Ti, MS, M, MPH, ZPA, XS, Sapphire all came with the purchase... just add heat sink... R&D done
James Shields
[email][email protected][/email]
[url]http://www.northolmstedperformance.com[/url]

[img]http://www.northolmstedperformance.com/images/Business_card_front.sized.jpg[/img]
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

I had gotten over the idea that it was going to be built off shore, it is an unfortunate no-brainer for a company as large as aamp. I cann't get over that the "one er two three" amp will have twins made under different names making it as unique as a ford tempo, or is it a mercury topaz? That will only spawn the inevitable post of "which is better" and of course nobody really cared about the topaz or tempo.

I had kept my expectations low to keep from being let down hard like alot of you are knowing that aamp wasn't going to make it right. After hearing them tell me how great the ryval line was and that this should be just as good I had bad feelings and the only way it could have been worse was to hear that you are making stuff as good as your last line :roll: was to hear that it could be found under at least 2 different badges..........

I will stick to the good old stuff and continue to laugh at the posts complaining their year old amp blew, and that aamp will not answer the email, phone call or respond on how to fix it. O:)
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

jbondox wrote:
stipud wrote:
jbondox wrote:Stipud, what R&D budget? the Chinese built it.... they will tailor it to your needs ... R&D... what's that

maybe you don't see the big global picture, off the shelf parts, just add name. you think bob at American Bass (who has one of "the one") has an engineering degree in acoustics and electronics...???? LMAO

look if you need to play the PR card, fine... just don't comment, but what you wrote kind of contradicts your other posts

Peace
Huh? But that's exactly my point. It's not contradictory whatsoever...

I don't think this amp would sell in high enough numbers to warrant PG spending any significant R&D budget on it. I would rather they put their money into developing unique mid and lower level amps (which we could actually buy and use in our regular cars) instead of an SPL marketing amp made for a handful of show cars.

So to recap, I have no problem with THIS INDIVIDUAL amp using an off the shelf design, as long as the mainstream amps aren't. If the Ti's and Xi's are copies of other amps, then we can start worrying about the future of PG.

I am sure the schematics and parts list for the Ti, MS, M, MPH, ZPA, XS, Sapphire all came with the purchase... just add heat sink... R&D done
x2

I am amazed that pg can continue to ignore how desired their own old stuff is, and how little attention anyone pays to the new overproduced stuff. As far as I am concerned they are just digging a hole that they will cover up with the 3 different "ones", all the left over ryvals and all the returns they will not fix.

I think we should just start calling that amp the "ones" no matter if we are talking about one amp or 100. I like the way that it doesn't make any sence when you say "I installed my ones this weekend", since no one will know what amp you really installed unless you put the brand name infront of it.

Imagine a competition and someone says that a new competitor just entered and is runnin "the one", or,"one of the one's". How funny will the next question sound,"which one?"? Just doesn't make any sence.....

with everything going back retro in the car world I would think that a retro audio line if done right would work as well. I know the rf stuff didn't go over as well as hoped but there was something missing from that line.
NewOldStock

Post by NewOldStock »

Didnt PG already do a remake of the MS series amps that didnt sell well?
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

NewOldStock wrote:Didnt PG already do a remake of the MS series amps that didnt sell well?
They sure did, the TAs.
kg1961
Got wood?

item

Post by kg1961 »

but did they do it right? I have been in car audio for years and until seeing them on ebay and here i didn't know when they came out.
you need to spend a little money to get the hype up.
just like Soundstream and RF .
I think jbondox said it best jl had orders before the product was released and before CES
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

fuzzysnuggleduck wrote:
NewOldStock wrote:Didnt PG already do a remake of the MS series amps that didnt sell well?
They sure did, the TAs.
Yep, and we all know how that went. IMO, some of the older lines that everyone loves leave some room to improve on. Eric even makes mention of nothing great about the MS design that everyone loves. To me there's nothing wrong with the functionality of the newer lines, i.e. Ryval didn't remind me of PG aesthetically, in fact when they first came out I thought someone had tried to make a knockoff PG because it didn't look PG. It just had an "iron cross" logo that said Ryval on top and a small "PhoenixGold". There's nothing wrong functionally with the Ryval line, I just don't like the cosmetics. Rsd's are great amplifiers, they just lacked a few things like 24 db/oct crossovers, x10 multipliers, etc... They also had an odd shaped design which looked unique but was hard for installations. I myself was a fan of PG's old school stuff, but now I run all Rsd gear in my install (and look, still running strong). I had Ti and Xenon in my old setup and switched to the Roadster and didn't hardly notice any difference sonically. The only thing I could hear was a small difference in the tweeter by going with a passive setup as opposed to active.

I think the three biggest issues with the new stuff is 1. It doesn't have the nostalgia of the old amps. People remember first hearing an M series or an MS series or hearing the Cyclone for the first time, and being wowed by the sound quality or the sound output with such small ratings. I myself have a liking for XS amps because that was the first amp I owned. No other reason. You're not going to get that same nostalgia with the new stuff no matter how much it looks like the old glory days amps(see MS TA). Oh and to ttocs, would you really go out and buy a new PG amp or replace your Octane LE with something else? I'm guessing you're not. It's the same thing with guys with muscle cars. There's better technology out there, there's more fuel efficient engines that will make the same power, but try and convince them to buy a new car. Granted there are a few exceptions such as the new Mustang's, Camaro's, and Challenger's.
2. It's not made in U.S.A. Neither is JL but some installers here seem to like it. I'm sure your "American Made" car or truck isn't made entirely of parts from America. It's just not profitable. Not all of us can afford Audison, or Hertz, or Genesis and do enjoy good sound quality so overseas production is an option that fits the bill.
3. Borrowing technology from other companies. IMO don't waste new R&D on a huge SPL amp. I am not interested in SPL. I am not interested in owning a SPL amp and I'm sure I'm not alone. When I first read about "The One" I got excited to see that PG was doing something to create some interest in the brand. They weren't just relying on the run of the mill four channel and monoblock amps that everyone has out. So they borrowed technology from somebody else. So what? Out of how many car audio amplifier companies out there can claim to produce an amp with those ratings? Three? Four? Spend the money where it really matters. Sound quality amps. Come out with a 5 or 6 channel American made LE amp that way the naysayer's can quit complaining.
XS2300, XS2500, XS2300, X200.4, X100.2, Ti21000.4, Roadster 66

I'm gonna become a civil engineer. I'm gonna design septic tanks for playgrounds. Little kids can take shits! You idiot, what the hell do you do?
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

the entire install in the truck was based around the design of the octane le from the amp rack to the custom painted DD5 and RMD.

Now I could be easily convinced the diamond D9 amps in the mustang need updating if there was something here to compete with them.
jbondox

Post by jbondox »

audison lrx

:)
James Shields

[img]http://www.northolmstedperformance.com/images/Business_card_front.sized.jpg[/img]
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

Post by oldskoolmseriesfan »

jbondox wrote:audison lrx

Hey James Im just curious of the price tags on the LRX line, they are really pricey up here in The Land of the Hoser. Ive got a buddy who runs the shop in town here and I can get one for just over cost possibly, and you said earlier he as a shop owner doesnt carry the VRX anymore because of the price tag, and the LRX is almost just as good according to him.Could you pm me a few of the USD prices??? :pray:
Phorum PI!
Square woofers are GAY!!
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

that was his entry level line for the people that really do not want to pay top dollar :whistle:
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

ttocs wrote:that was his entry level line for the people that really do not want to pay top dollar :whistle:
entry level of the............. GODS :D
Phorum PI!
Square woofers are GAY!!
jbondox

Post by jbondox »

oldskoolmseriesfan wrote:

Hey James Im just curious of the price tags on the LRX line, they are really pricey up here in The Land of the Hoser. Ive got a buddy who runs the shop in town here and I can get one for just over cost possibly, and you said earlier he as a shop owner doesnt carry the VRX anymore because of the price tag, and the LRX is almost just as good according to him.Could you pm me a few of the USD prices??? :pray:
I can't do that on this forum or topic. reasons being both personal and professional. hope you understand
James Shields

oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

jbondox wrote:
oldskoolmseriesfan wrote:

I can't do that on this forum or topic. reasons being both personal and professional. hope you understand
could you email them?
if so its [email protected]
thank you
Dean
Phorum PI!
Square woofers are GAY!!
brenzbmr@sb
Booty Connoisseur

Post by brenzbmr@sb »

here is a pick
You may have subs in your car........but my doors sound better!
jbondox

Post by jbondox »

fuzzysnuggleduck wrote:
did I say pay? I don't think so... read the full sentence before jumping to conclusions and posting BS.

I clearly stated that on the same page he made comments that contradict each other... do i need to go back and pick it apart?
James Shields

NewOldStock

Post by NewOldStock »

brenzbmr@sb wrote:Image

here is a pick

Love the gold board and the plexi... not an amp I would ever use, but "its a huge-bitch" that I am certain drew some attention

might be worth buying and sticking under my bed just to say I have an 11k-watt amp. lol
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

jbondox wrote:
fuzzysnuggleduck wrote:
did I say pay? I don't think so... read the full sentence before jumping to conclusions and posting BS.

I clearly stated that on the same page he made comments that contradict each other... do i need to go back and pick it apart?
I was asking, not jumping to conclusions. My statement was clearly a question. Note the question mark.
gridracer
RIP

Post by gridracer »

Whats the point of everyone getting their panties in a bunch just wait and see what happens and be happy AAMP is trying to bring PG back.I can't wait for the new products to start showing up and being an SPL guy in my youth I would probably look into buying the one if I can afford it for my summer truck.
jbondox

Post by jbondox »

hmmmm.... maybe we just all fell off the back of the truck... but this was tried 3 other times... :roll: I wish them luck, on all of the me too amps...
James Shields