The One - review

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
Pillow

The One - review

Post by Pillow »

SPL monster!!! 3' of love surfboard.

16v @ 1 Ohm = 9419W

http://www.pasmag.com/index.php?option= ... ew&id=1470
2003 Saab 9-3 Vector: Faital, Dayton, JBL,+ DIY mixed up mess
1979 Porsche SC: Kenwood X-994, X100.2, RSd6.5cs
1971 Chevy C-10: wind noise
joerg
SOFA-KING

Post by joerg »

Sounds like a real nice review! And i really like the look of the amp. But it does so not fit the rest of the phoenix gold gear i have. But it sure will fit a nice set of 18inch Strokers
Music is silver, PHOENIX is GOLD
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

That amp is great. I hate SPL competition, but at least with a product like that it may put PG back on the map again. The is right up there with the Kicker Warhorse, RF T15k, and SoundStream offerings.
Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Oh yay another SPL amp :roll:. I'm still holding out for a preview of the SQ 4ch Ti's...
Last edited by stipud on Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

Damnit! My work has blocked this site!
XS2300, XS2500, XS2300, X200.4, X100.2, Ti21000.4, Roadster 66

I'm gonna become a civil engineer. I'm gonna design septic tanks for playgrounds. Little kids can take shits! You idiot, what the hell do you do?
bruther

Post by bruther »

Is it a limited edition amp or is it part of the Ti/ lower end new lines??
1-Phoenix Gold Outlaw
1-Phoenix Gold Bandit
El-Akeem

Post by El-Akeem »

It reminds me of this amp line:

http://spldynamics.fi/d-amps/index-e.htm

And the specs of the D-9s are pretty similar...

The equation "Phoenix Gold = unique engineering" doesn't seem to be vaild anymore. :(
Pillow

Post by Pillow »

Good catch! They do seem very similar... Hmmm.

Also I want to see a big flaming chicken on that amp! :)
Last edited by Pillow on Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2003 Saab 9-3 Vector: Faital, Dayton, JBL,+ DIY mixed up mess
1979 Porsche SC: Kenwood X-994, X100.2, RSd6.5cs
1971 Chevy C-10: wind noise
NewOldStock

Post by NewOldStock »

dwnrodeo wrote:Damnit! My work has blocked this site!
x2

Someone feel like lifting the photo and photo-bucket-ing it for us? Apparently whatever that link is has been designated "intimate apparel" by the internet police here at work.
NewOldStock

Post by NewOldStock »

woo found the hole in the proxy ...
One end of the amplifier... no less than six 1/0 terminals, three for positive and three for ground...
Same as the SPL
Measuring 36" long...
The SPL D9 is just under 35" long (34.6")

plus, just looking at the layout of the controls - they dont look the same to me - maybe someone can reply more intelligently but the PG amp has the RCA's and speaker outs on one end and the SPL appears to only have the RCA inputs on one end and all the power and speaker outputs on the other.
scottn29

Post by scottn29 »

I dont think they could get as many lines of amps they are coming out with designed that quickly. All the lines are prob some other companies designs
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

Post by oldskoolmseriesfan »

Holy Christ, that thing is a fkn BEAST, and I like the simple looks of it from the outside, this interprets into all the money was spent on the inner workings :twisted: I was a little dissapointed that its another SPL monster, but I think this will get the PG name back on the map in a really quick way. now as Tom said we need some seriouse power in the Ti series, Id love to see a massive 6 channel with steel balls for power and the system flexibility of the worlds greatest yoga chick, then Ill be satisfied 8) This is still a really big step in the right direction though, GREAT JOB PG, KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK :clap: :clap: :clap:
Phorum PI!
Square woofers are GAY!!
Irongoats

Post by Irongoats »

Great review and 50 pounds to boot.
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life'. That is Honor!
audiophyle_247

Post by audiophyle_247 »

Lol, 3' long & similar power levels makes them the same.

Nobody has even seen the internals yet, there is no way to make that claim.
& that is def a beast of an amp.
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

^they did talk about them in pretty good detail
ere are two main PCB’s basically divided into the power supply and output sections, and the boards use thick 3 ounce copper for the traces. Daughter boards use surface mounted parts, while the main PCB’s carry low tolerance through-hole components. The power supply uses a total of thirty-six IRF 1405 power MOSFETs, each capable of switching over 70 amps of current. Output devices are excellent Fairchild FDA24N40F’s, and there are no less than thirty-two of them! No wonder this amp is 3 feet long!

The power supply toroids (plural, because there are 6 of them!) draw energy from seventeen 3300µF 20V capacitors, and supply the output sections’ twenty-four 18800µF 200V caps to create a secondary energy reserve of 43,200uF. The layout seems fairly well sorted, although the heavy-duty 8 gauge cables that provide the output signal are routed directly over the output devices. Normally, this will degrade the signal to noise performance, but with this much power on tap, that’s not going to be a problem. The fan cooling could be a bit better sorted, and it probably will be in production models. My sample has to try to suck air in the underside of the amp, with only about 1/8” of clearance
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
freshkryp69

Post by freshkryp69 »

finally a PG amp that can push my xxx, ill definitely be buyin this badboy when it comes out! i do wish the heatsink looked a lil different though,but i wont complain if that one makes it to production..9000 watts of PG power hell yea... :clap:
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

:shock:
:shifty: :fap:
Those tender little burgers with them little, itty-bitty grilled onions that just explode in ya mouth like flavor crystals every time you bite into one.. just makes me want to burn this muthafuka down.... Come on, Pookie, let's burn this muthafuka down!!!
brenzbmr@sb
Booty Connoisseur

Post by brenzbmr@sb »

well i must say thats an animal of an amp.

i think this will propell pg into the lime light after all spl is the thing and big amps are what people are looking for, for us though i think pg has some thing for us. I think we need to just be patient.

good job guys

nice amp and sounds like its built with that over built PG signature.
You may have subs in your car........but my doors sound better!
MW3
Morgan @ PG

Post by MW3 »

Looks like the cat is out of the bag, nice detective work.

Keep in mind this is a PROTOTYPE we are working hard on. So try not to needle us too much especially cosmetics.

We are finalizing the electrical now. Since the review we have been able to bump the power up even further.

The One will make 11,000 watts rms at 16v @ 1ohm.
Morgan West
Phoenix Gold Product Manager
dBincognito
Randy Bo-Bandy

Post by dBincognito »

So, the LE amp is going to be a monoblock called " The One ".............that's pretty gay :pukel:

Was Jet Li one of the designers :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
MW3
Morgan @ PG

Post by MW3 »

dBincognito wrote:So, the LE amp is going to be a monoblock called " The One ".............that's pretty gay :pukel:

Hate to hear what you called the Frank Amp N Stein when it came out. Too bad nobody likes that amp. ;)
Morgan West
Phoenix Gold Product Manager
dBincognito
Randy Bo-Bandy

Post by dBincognito »

MW3 wrote:
dBincognito wrote:So, the LE amp is going to be a monoblock called " The One ".............that's pretty gay :pukel:

Hate to hear what you called the Frank Amp N Stein when it came out. Too bad nobody likes that amp. ;)

FRANK was a six channel amp that came with a matching 6 channel crossover and very nice packaging, not to mention the SQ.........I fail to see any connection between those amps and this SPL one....apples and oranges. :roll:

It just doesn't seem very special, other than it will be a LE amp.....it's like me calling my shit this morning LE.....what makes it different from anything else ? Plenty of monoblock amps out there that make this power and more.

And why a monoblock for a LE amp ?

Since it's only one channel I would expect it to cost far less than any previously made LE amp, I also would not expect it to come with anything b/c it's a one channel amp( i.e. matching crossover or EQ )........" The One " has only one use.....SPL competition......
Last edited by dBincognito on Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:42 am, edited 5 times in total.
bruther

Post by bruther »

MW3 wrote:

I remember hearing people complain about the Outlaw and Bandit amps when they came out.....no one liked the color..... :violin: :wink:
1-Phoenix Gold Outlaw
1-Phoenix Gold Bandit
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

MW3 wrote:Looks like the cat is out of the bag, nice detective work.

Keep in mind this is a PROTOTYPE we are working hard on. So try not to needle us too much especially cosmetics.

We are finalizing the electrical now. Since the review we have been able to bump the power up even further.

The One will make 11,000 watts rms at 16v @ 1ohm.
Figured out how to get by the work internet security. 8)
First of all, I'd like to state that big power class D SPL amps aren't my thing, but I appreciate the idea that PG is putting into it, not just cookie cutter amps, but something a bit different from most other companies out there. I LOVE the cosmetics!! You guys hit the nail on the head with that one. I'm glad to see that PG listened to us when designing the cosmetics. Sleek, understated, and classy. Reminds me of a mix of XS with Roadster 66.

Now... a 5 or 6 channel LE to accompany it... :twisted:
XS2300, XS2500, XS2300, X200.4, X100.2, Ti21000.4, Roadster 66

I'm gonna become a civil engineer. I'm gonna design septic tanks for playgrounds. Little kids can take shits! You idiot, what the hell do you do?
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

dBincognito wrote:what makes it different from anything else ? Plenty of monoblock amps out there that make this power and more.
The fact that they won't be making a ton of them, maybe?

Yeah, big monoblocks aren't my thing either and there is plenty of competition in that market already, but let's not pretend that there aren't a ton of 5 or 6 channel amps out there either. OMG 5 CHANNELS EVERYONE HAS THOSE THAT'S NOT LE!!!!!

What was special about the Bandit? Wasn't it just an M50? Most PG LEs have been two existing amps in one chassis. Not ground breaking, just cool!

People that listen to music aren't going to be impressed or interested in a huge monoblock, that's fine. The fact that PG is making any LE amps is very interesting, however. It means that they haven't ditched the idea of LE amps and are likely going to throw us another sweet 6-channel or similar down the line.
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner