New TI speakers:

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

New TI speakers:

Post by Bfowler »

direct question morgan. new ti vs rsd.

what different/better?
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
smgreen20

Post by smgreen20 »

Other then the phase plug in the mid, they look exactly like the RSD's

If that be the case Morgan, are the tweets at least better made this time around then those of the RSD's?

Both of mine worked when I took them out and when I went to reinstall them one was dead. I've read A LOT of people having issues with their tweets.

Will the 3-way set be comprised of the same components or a new set/speaker all around?
"ZPA's will have the same sound essentially as you get from the MS, they just feature a bigger shinier set of balls."

Install:
http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16998
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

Post by oldskoolmseriesfan »

I thought the Ti line was supposed to be there flagship, as stated above it looks like a retagged RSD with minimal differences, if this is the case, why was the Ti line dragged down to the RSD level (mid level line) and if this is the case, and Im going too say it bluntly...........THATS A FUCKEN SHAME :evil: I know you guys have just taken over but wow, I have seen NOTHING that excites me, Im almost ashamed to say PG out loud, and that is a fucking shame, now I know what it feels like to be shot.

Im sorry I feel this way, but thats the way I feel,
Dean.
Phorum PI!
Square woofers are GAY!!
kg1961
Got wood?

fas

Post by kg1961 »

oldschool i feal the same way :( :( :idiot: :hmm:
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

I'm willing to wait for actual products to hit the shelves and people to start using and reporting on them before I make serious judgements.

The RSd components were pretty dang good. Not excellent, but good.
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
Misfire

Post by Misfire »

did I miss something? Maybe like pictures?
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

Misfire wrote:did I miss something? Maybe like pictures?
here tou go misfire
Attachments
pg_brochure_181.pdf
(2.63 MiB) Downloaded 342 times
Phorum PI!
Square woofers are GAY!!
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

fuzzysnuggleduck wrote:I'm willing to wait for actual products to hit the shelves and people to start using and reporting on them before I make serious judgements.

thats the thing though, the RSD's are a great mid level upgrade, they are definately not top tier, especially with that little generic crossover Ryan. I still have a problem with the old Ti's, I myself would have just grabbed the equivacol Morel set or better. Correct me if Im wrong, the Ti's were just a rebadged Morel driver with the PG built crossover. Am I right? I really dont want to shit on anything PG, but when I left the automotive audio scene, the ZX, and Zero points ....pause.....canucks penalty shot.......SOB....nice save.............anyways as I was saying, the ZX and Zero Point series had just come out, and I had just bought one of the first versions of the Morel Hybrid line, and when I stumbled upon this site many, many, many years later, I heard about the Morel PG merge for the Ti line drivers, it never and still dosent make sense too me. Could someone please elaborate?
Phorum PI!
Square woofers are GAY!!
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

oldskoolmseriesfan wrote:
fuzzysnuggleduck wrote:I'm willing to wait for actual products to hit the shelves and people to start using and reporting on them before I make serious judgements.

thats the thing though, the RSD's are a great mid level upgrade, they are definately not top tier, especially with that little generic crossover Ryan. I still have a problem with the old Ti's, I myself would have just grabbed the equivacol Morel set or better. Correct me if Im wrong, the Ti's were just a rebadged Morel driver with the PG built crossover. Am I right? I really dont want to shit on anything PG, but when I left the automotive audio scene, the ZX, and Zero points ....pause.....canucks penalty shot.......SOB....nice save.............anyways as I was saying, the ZX and Zero Point series had just come out, and I had just bought one of the first versions of the Morel Hybrid line, and when I stumbled upon this site many, many, many years later, I heard about the Morel PG merge for the Ti line drivers, it never and still dosent make sense too me. Could someone please elaborate?
Sure, the RSd comps aren't top of the line relative to the entire component set market. I don't think they were ever meant to be as the price certainly wasn't that of a top end comp set.

I suppose the issue here is that you see the RSd stuff as mid range and PG was really selling that at their high end with their previous line. The components may not meet the requirements of high level in many minds, but they did represent PG's own "top of the line".

The Ti do appear to be very similar to the RSd comps so if we can assume there are at least some improvements, it won't be a bad set. Will it compete with $600+ comp sets, though? I doubt it, but I'm still willing to wait and see.
Last edited by fuzzysnuggleduck on Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
Misfire

Post by Misfire »

Thank you Mr. Phorum PI. :clap:
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

What did you guys expect them to produce in 3 months exactly...? :hmm:

They gave us a new tiny amp line, a mega SPL amp, and improved cosmetics and features across the existing lines *many of which we suggested*! Rome wasn't built overnight. This is a huge amount of progress for just 3 months of AAMP owning the brand, and I am sure there is more to come. Let's not forget PG was essentially on life support for the last several years, and the plug damn near got pulled on our favorite car audio company! And PG hasn't paid this much interest in us in years! We're making a huge difference, even if it's not a full 180* in the companies direction.

Clearly things aren't getting worse than they were before. We're not seeing a wholesale slashing of features from what we already had, like with PPI, Hifonics, and other "sold name" brands. So what's with all the beef? Give them a chance to get this product line out and actually have some time to work on the next iteration!
Bfowler

Post by Bfowler »

^true....but what i was expecting was a rsdc esque 3 way comp set. they could build it using fairly off the shelf parts. crap even the rsd 6.5 mid, tweet combined with their whizzer cone 3" all running off a 3way passive crossover would be TITS. the only thing that stopped the rsd set IMHO from being GREAT was the serious lull in the 150-300 region. (which that 3" could really fix!) presto...high end flagship line and all it took was some crossover work

the rsd set was great...but if the TI doesn't have some decent improvements on it it it will certainly fall short of a flagship line in my eyes.

i was hoping this thread wouldn't really pick up steam until after morgan or AAMP chimed in though. as there could be more different then we can see from basic pics
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

Misfire wrote:Thank you Mr. Phorum PI. :clap:
Your welcome!!!!
Phorum PI!
Square woofers are GAY!!
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

oldskoolmseriesfan wrote:I thought the Ti line was supposed to be there flagship, as stated above it looks like a retagged RSD with minimal differences, if this is the case, why was the Ti line dragged down to the RSD level (mid level line) and if this is the case, and Im going too say it bluntly...........THATS A FUCKEN SHAME :evil: I know you guys have just taken over but wow, I have seen NOTHING that excites me, Im almost ashamed to say PG out loud, and that is a fucking shame, now I know what it feels like to be shot.

Im sorry I feel this way, but thats the way I feel,
Dean.
I don't know if you've ever seen the Octane R or Octane ZR components, but the RSD's look just about the same as those. Now, I own both I can tell you that there is a WORLD of difference between the two. Octane's suck (no midbass and harsh tweeters) and the RSD's sound good. Looks can be deceiving.
XS2300, XS2500, XS2300, X200.4, X100.2, Ti21000.4, Roadster 66

I'm gonna become a civil engineer. I'm gonna design septic tanks for playgrounds. Little kids can take shits! You idiot, what the hell do you do?
MW3
Morgan @ PG

Re: New TI speakers:

Post by MW3 »

Bfowler wrote:direct question morgan. new ti vs rsd.

what different/better?
RSD full range speakers were excellent drivers, there simply wasn't a need to make major changes. For Ti we made some minor revisions, especially to the component midrange.
Morgan West
Phoenix Gold Product Manager
MW3
Morgan @ PG

Post by MW3 »

Guys. A couple comments here:

Ti Speakers are not the flagship. We are working on even higher end components, but they won't be ready til next year. Be realistic, we started working on new product 4 months ago. We introduced 30+ new products at CES.

We did a FULL EVALUATION of all previous product. The fact is the RSD and Ryval full range speakers were the best sounding affordable full range speakers PG has ever built. Ask anyone who has used them. We used them as a baseline for the Ti and R series.
Morgan West
NewOldStock

Post by NewOldStock »

MW3 wrote:Guys. A couple comments here:

Ti Speakers are not the flagship. We are working on even higher end components, but they won't be ready til next year. Be realistic, we started working on new product 4 months ago. We introduced 30+ new products at CES.

We did a FULL EVALUATION of all previous product. The fact is the RSD and Ryval full range speakers were the best sounding affordable full range speakers PG has ever built. Ask anyone who has used them. We used them as a baseline for the Ti and R series.
The RSD speakers have an amazing reputation for how they sound, throw in the price tag of $100 or less and they are supposed to be just about the best speaker you can buy for the money.

Thanks for the input, that reaffirms what a lot of us have been thinking and feeling about the new line... 3-4 months is almost no time at all to start from essentially scratch and produce gear ready for CES... but that you hit the ground running and made so many changes across the whole of the brand so fast shows me at least that you really are dedicated to moving PG forward.
Bfowler

Post by Bfowler »

thanks morgan. wasnt judging. i just wanted to know since i still have sets of rsd's hanging around my house. glad to hear there will be a flagship line too!
smgreen20

Post by smgreen20 »

A whole year still!!!!! :shock:

Oh well, take your time and do it right. I'll want a set of the "Flagship" speakers.

Guess I'll get a set of the Eclipse 3-ways till then.
"ZPA's will have the same sound essentially as you get from the MS, they just feature a bigger shinier set of balls."

Install:
http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16998
Glenntsc

Post by Glenntsc »

Thanks Morgan, for the candid comments. It's nice to be appreciated. I worked hard on those speaker products lines. (And the other lines as well.) :roll: Hope they are a good spring board for you guys.

Glad the crowd was responsive at CES.

Glenn Phillips
Speaker Dude

MW3 wrote:Guys. A couple comments here:

ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

not gonna hold my breath, can't believe anyone would......... :|
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

ttocs wrote:not gonna hold my breath, can't believe anyone would......... :|

"Not like it even matters..."
XS2300, XS2500, XS2300, X200.4, X100.2, Ti21000.4, Roadster 66

I'm gonna become a civil engineer. I'm gonna design septic tanks for playgrounds. Little kids can take shits! You idiot, what the hell do you do?
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

I am sure that the flagship models will be just as "good" as the this line, which is just as "good" as ryval, rsd and all the other overproduced stuff.

At least there will be plenty to be found, and we will certainly be able to find a great deal on them on ebay. Hell I bet you can get one of the "ones"(which one is up to you) on a ebay fire-sale the day after they release them, free shipping.......
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

ttocs wrote:I am sure that the flagship models will be just as "good" as the this line, which is just as "good" as ryval, rsd and all the other overproduced stuff.

At least there will be plenty to be found, and we will certainly be able to find a great deal on them on ebay. Hell I bet you can get one of the "ones"(which one is up to you) on a ebay fire-sale the day after they release them, free shipping.......
Well there's just no satisfying you, is there :violin:
MW3
Morgan @ PG

Post by MW3 »

ttocs wrote:I am sure that the flagship models will be just as "good" as the this line, which is just as "good" as ryval, rsd and all the other overproduced stuff.

Voicing your opinion or criticism is welcome. Good, bad or ugly.

Spewing up worthless negative posts with no point just drags the quality of this forum down.
Last edited by MW3 on Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Morgan West