Any chance for a 5 channel amp?

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
gridracer
RIP

Post by gridracer »

I have always used more power on speakers than required and I have never blown a speaker yet from overpowering them. When I was 16 I had a pioneer GM50? i think and the shop owner friend of mine gave me a pro thump 12 he had laying around in the shop. I didn't have enough power for it and had the gains cranked and that is the only speaker I have ever fried. After that is when I bought my first M50.
Check my buyer/seller ratings http://phoenixphorum.com/gridracer-vt4548.html

I have more PG stuff than one guy ever needs.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Eric D wrote:Tom, 400W is typically plenty for a sub, but nothing beats running an amp with potentially far more power, but setting it for no clipping and listening to the cleanest bass you ever heard, which happens to still be loud.
The difference here is that we are talking class D vs class A/B as well. Comparing apples to apples I agree wholeheartedly that more headroom sounds better. But I personally think 400 watts of A/B power sounds better than 800 watts of class D power, even if turned down to 400 (and lets face it, do people who buy class D amps ever leave the gains turned down?).

I have compared numerous class D subwoofer amps against comparatively underpowered class A/B amps, and when playing the same volume level I can never get the class D to blend half as well. It always sounds like a dull subwoofer in the trunk to me. Perhaps it's the lack of harmonics, perhaps placebo effect. Who knows? Now these were not strict A/B tests... just subjective anecdotal experience. Regardless, I wouldn't personally buy a multi channel amp that has a class-D sub, but I wouldn't try to convince another person NOT to.

I am far from the typical consumer anyways. The Ti900.7 and Brax HXA500 I have sitting under my bed fully satisfy my multi channel A/B fetish anyways, so PG would be doing me a big favor by continuing to release class D sub channels :lol:
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

I am not too much of a Class D fanboy, but if you have say 25V of output on a Class D vs 25V of output on a Class A/B, you have the same thing.

I think the problem you are running into is very few Class D amps are "flat". Every one I have tested has a pretty whacked out frequency response plot. This leads to all kinds of sonic issues when you go to use the amp. Some of this problem is from the filter used to bring the output signal back to music. Another part of the problem is the crossover built in to limit where the amp works. Add in a subsonic filter and you have a lot going on in a very limited range of frequencies.

But, a flat Class D can be made, and some companies do pull it off. If you used one and compared it to a Class A/B, I doubt you would be able to tell the difference.

What I am interested in is "full range" Class D. If you had a full range Class D amp, chances are it would end up flatter in the bass region than your typical 25Hz to 250Hz Class D sub amp.
Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...
Audiophiliac

Post by Audiophiliac »

I had zero complaints when using the little Xtant 1.1i amps (full range class D). It sounded flat and blended well. I used 2 on the front stage and 1 for the subs. Even that little amp was enough to make it louder than I would ever listen at. I would have kept those 3 little guys over my Ti500.4AL I think. :)

I think that a tiny staggered 6 ch. would be the ticket for me. 50x4 + 150x2. Or bridge it for 150-200x2 + 400-600x1. :) Throw in a independently adjustable bandpass xover for the "mid" channels, and make it $500 or less and you have a winner. Installers' dream as well. :)
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

I run a Tripath for my home stereo and I absolutely love it, so I am sure it would work on bass as well. It's just the subwoofer-only class D models that bug me.

I guess that brings up an interesting idea... full range class D 5ch amp :lol:
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

Eric D wrote: What I am interested in is "full range" Class D. If you had a full range Class D amp, chances are it would end up flatter in the bass region than your typical 25Hz to 250Hz Class D sub amp.
now where talking something like the JL hd 900/5 just a lower price point. 1k is a pretty penny for a car amp.
Can one send others to war if hes not willing to go himself?