DD5 - DD10 Suggestions Needed!!!

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
MW3
Morgan @ PG

DD5 - DD10 Suggestions Needed!!!

Post by MW3 »

I have consistently seen you guys raving for us to bring back the DD5/DD10.

Here is your chance to be the product designer. Perhaps you will be handsomely rewarded if we use your ideas!!! ;)

Your task! Design the next generation of the DD10 or DD5. What would you do?

No bad ideas here, let us hear them all, take into account:

- Number of outputs
- New features from the original models
- Electrical systems of new cars and aftermarket components
- Size/Cosmetics
- Pricing

Fire away!
Morgan West
Phoenix Gold Product Manager
tonym

Post by tonym »

did you get all the plans to the old PG stuff when you took them over?
twisted
Fordtough's Boyfriend

Post by twisted »

continously updated chassis to look like the new amp lines.

maybe add a voltage display to it as well.
Marcotah

Post by Marcotah »

Im Taking a Look at DD's O/M right now!
Under Construction:
Alpine INA-W910
Arc Audio PS8 (Optical Linked)
Amplifiers (Elites? PDX? HD's? Zapco?)
Focal KRX3 Running Active
2 Image Dynamics IDQ10v3
Marcotah

Post by Marcotah »

Morgan, Whiches Issues Should make difficult making a new generations Of DD's that can support 0 to 4 Awg wires, but with a kind of "Power Distribution"?
Like this, You can input a 0Awg wire to distribute 4 outputs of 4Awg with fuses, and another 18awg input to make the Old DD's functions with delayed remote and diagnosis?
Make a nice new Ti amps look with black anodized aluminium and Diagnosis leds to each output like on Ti amps?
Have I been clear? English it very different from Portuguese, so too many times I make gramatical mistakes...
Under Construction:
Alpine INA-W910
2 Image Dynamics IDQ10v3
MW3
Morgan @ PG

Post by MW3 »

Marcotah: I understand! Build a distribution block into the DD10/5 design.

Tonym: Yes we have the top secret info.
Morgan West
Phoenix Gold Product Manager
Marcotah

Post by Marcotah »

Yes Morgan! You got it to the point, a kind of 4 position distribution + 2 extras Delayed remote outputs, to power Up processors or miscellaneous...
Thanks man...I'm goin to watch "Brazil x Costa do Marfim" on TV now...
It will start within a hour!
Marco Túlio.
Under Construction:
Alpine INA-W910
2 Image Dynamics IDQ10v3
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

morgan, make it into a combination dist block and dd5. How much easier would it be to run your large gague wire to it and then seperate it out from there. Inclue a couple of larger fuses for the amps and it would maek a killer combination.

for design I think it wold be cool to cut the pg logo out of teh top and the backlight it so it lights up the logo nice and bright so it can be seen day or night time. No crinkle paint this time like on the DD5, I think it would be cool if you could paint it a glosl black with the dimples in it to match the TI line. I think the combination of gloss black and lit up logo would be simple and sexy.

also unclude a spot for voltage monitoring for an upfront display.

Thanks for listening, i think you will make a killing on these as I stil see them used all the time.

any chance we can make this some kind of contest, winner gets #1?
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
str3atwarrior

Post by str3atwarrior »

I also like the idea of the distribution block integration! I think it would be just great!

Like stated, something with 1 0ga in and 4 4ga out, plus 3-4 remote output would be nice! And an Amperage/Voltage monitor could be nice, so we could know how much amperage the total system is drawing.
He appreciates your support but he aint beggin for it
jbob0124

Post by jbob0124 »

Give me some time, I will have a go at this :lol:
dBincognito
Randy Bo-Bandy

Post by dBincognito »

I don't like the idea of it becoming a fused distro block.....make it bigger :doh:

I'd rather have a distro block that matched it, with 2-4 (0) gauge inputs, 4 - 8 (4) gauge outputs.....with nothing but compression fittings.

For the DD5/10 I would like to use it for it's intended use. I would like nothing more than one 0 gauge input for it. From there I would like 10 outputs, I would like to just flip a switch that would give me a 1,2,3,4,5 second delay for each output. Perhaps a POT on each output that would allow for a 0 - 10 second delay would work best. +,-, and remote outputs for each output. I would like to be able to use at least 12 gauge wire from the outputs. I would like to stay with the removable terminal blocks on the outputs...would be nice to see them on the inputs as well. So I could just take it out of the car when I wanted/needed to.

also unclude a spot for voltage monitoring for an upfront display.

I like this idea as well, if it came with the voltage monitor that would be even better.
Last edited by dBincognito on Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

Along the integrated distribution block idea... can it be modular? I would think it would be hard to have dealers stocking various DD modular distro block pieces but since each install will be different, allowing for a varying combination of ins and outs in varying sizes would be nice.
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
tonym

Post by tonym »

I would be up to keeping it the same size...Im shoe horned in now
dvnt88

Post by dvnt88 »

str3atwarrior wrote:I also like the idea of the distribution block integration! I think it would be just great!

Like stated, something with 1 0ga in and 4 4ga out, plus 3-4 remote output would be nice! And an Amperage/Voltage monitor could be nice, so we could know how much amperage the total system is drawing.
X10, this would be a great idea and make it "AFFORDABLE" to the masses. Would be cool if it was in line with the cosmetics of the new TI line and special colors on limited models, just my .02c. :D
Audison Bit Ten
Hertz HSK163's (x2)
Hertz HX250 subs (x2)
Hertz HDP1
Hertz HDP4
PG Tantrum BassCUBE
XS Power D4900
Misc. PG Install Goodies

"Old-Skool TI-Whore"
gbody805

Post by gbody805 »

I would say don't change it. Why change something that works well.
It did what it was designed to do very well.
Maybe a little cosmetic update to bring it in line with the new offerings.

Just my .02
Kenwood H/U
Elite 961
Elite 61
2X Xmax 15"
2X Ti elite 12D
2X Ti 600.2
Ti 1000.2
Ti 800.1
2X Ti1200.1
longboard

Post by longboard »

audio wave in the uk have made a unit that sort of copied the dd10 with timed ouputs etc etc and large gauge wire but the problem is the size of the unit
i say keep it the same as before but just use the space better so that the unit could be smaller with the same amount of out puts etc why change something that works so well
1,al dd10,2 al 15 farad powercores,2nakamichi cd400s,1 xenon 200.4,2 xenon 1200.1,3 sets ti elite9s,2 sets ti elite 5s 1 set ti elite 6s 4 sets ti elite tweets 2 13w7 subs,9 ti rmds,3 pg show pieces 1 ms2250,2 zx350s,2 zx 200s,2 zx250s,1 zx450v2,1 475 ti
jbob0124

Post by jbob0124 »

Here's a rough draft for you. The front is typically the same as the original dd-10 just changed to match the new Ti series. I added the distro and an RDDP on the back side of it as it seems to be a popular idea. I used the same size as the front inputs as the back outputs, although I would think no larger then 4 gauge on the back and 1/0 gauge for the input up front. Obviously you could omit the back and simply just use the front.
Attachments
dd10-2.png
dd10-2.png (995.52 KiB) Viewed 12891 times
dd10-1.png
dd10-1.png (986.26 KiB) Viewed 12891 times
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

I have to ask, why to you tie up all the xtra space with all the rem outputs? I would make more sence to me that you would make one larger spot that we could just tie them all into and save an inch or two with out the hrns.

I undestand the idea of making it bigger being a problem as in both of my uses they barely fit but I think that it could be shrunk down alot as there was alot of empty space on the DD5 board.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Marcotah

Post by Marcotah »

NICE jbo0124!
I Thought in a DD with distro once I think it should make our installs killer clear and easier to do and to manage.
I'm not that sure that it will be much bigger than just by adding a distro.
Morgan, can make a size based on golden number (Its be best propotrtion when we look) ? Like 12' x 7.1/2' x 2' or so?
Just in case of its being produced....
I'm a potentially buyer... :twisted:
Under Construction:
Alpine INA-W910
2 Image Dynamics IDQ10v3
str3atwarrior

Post by str3atwarrior »

Me too, i'd definitly buy one to replace my current dist. block!
dBincognito
Randy Bo-Bandy

Post by dBincognito »

My biggest problem with the distro idea is I don't want my DD and my distro in the same place. My distro I want right next to my amps, within 8 inches where I can. My DD I would want to install up front or under a seat or something to that effect, I don't want to worry about cramming it where I got amps, RCA's, wires....etc..and if it doesn't have compression fittings I wouldn't use it for disro at all.
str3atwarrior

Post by str3atwarrior »

Yeah i see your point... So maybe 2 version, one with DB and one without would be nice, since it seems like we have different uses for it... Would that be an option, or is it simply unthinkable?
jbob0124

Post by jbob0124 »

Another option, instead of the distro, you could maybe put a line driver in its place. Better yet, make both :mrgreen:
Attachments
dd10-3.png
dd10-3.png (995.52 KiB) Viewed 12841 times
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

3 ideas...........Made to accentuate any of the lines at 2.5" thick...... :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: And use the power connections like the Ti and keep the original plug for outputs.....

FIRST-
I like the footprint of the DD10 but add combo distro...... :hmm: Making it 2.5" thick (Like the Ti amps) wouldn't hurt and it would make it eazy to double stack the 5 or 10 plugs AND give room for 1-0/1g input / 2-4g out for power/ground... Use KF style fuse and add RMD plug somewhere.... BIG plexi window!!!! BUT MOST OF ALL....JUST K.I.S.S. IT :pray: :pray: ....You already have a good plan so keep it affordable and sell more of them 8) 8) 8)
MSRP $175-$200

SECOND-
DD5 alone only the size of the Ti ZBB34..... :hmm: 8) small footprint....All of the original features :hmm:
MSRP $100-$125

THIRD-
Footprint of DD5....Power/ground distro combo 2-0/1g in / 4-4g output WITH built-in RMD in the top half center. Since it supports 4 outputs, add a remote signal 1-12g input to 4(un-fused)-12g output.... With a switch for either 5 or 10 second delay.
MSRP $125-$150

These ideas stem from my thoughts of a "basic" 2 amp and 2-3 accessory install. I didn't really take into account for the charging system's of todays vehicles as anytime you put 2 amps in a car like we do :twisted: , it's a given that electrical system upgrades are part of it..... :thumleft:
Those tender little burgers with them little, itty-bitty grilled onions that just explode in ya mouth like flavor crystals every time you bite into one.. just makes me want to burn this muthafuka down.... Come on, Pookie, let's burn this muthafuka down!!!
str3atwarrior

Post by str3atwarrior »

Your 1st one would be the best, but i still think an amperage and voltage meter integrated would kick it!