new amps

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
todd217

new amps

Post by todd217 »

Damo95

Re: new amps

Post by Damo95 »

wow..

pretty little amps to run alongside the small footprint amps.. i like..
Damo - Australian member..
Speakers: 3 way front - morel elate9 (in custom doors), Peerless HDS Exlusive 4" midrange (in kicks), Scanspeak 1" illuminator (in custom a-pillars)
Subwoofers: 3x Phoenix Gold Ti2 10d2 (in wheel well enclosure)
PG Ti amps: 2x Ti600.4 (front stage) + Ti2500.1 (sub duties)
joerg
SOFA-KING

Post by joerg »

Those are sexy looking pieces for sure!

@Kevin or Zak: Your homepage guy mixed up the description lines for the 500.4 and 600.1
Music is silver, PHOENIX is GOLD
Dirtyred

Post by Dirtyred »

they've got the part #'s switched on the 500.4 and 600.1
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Awesome! Plexi is back baby!
dvnt88

Post by dvnt88 »

Damn :shock: ... the new plexi amps sure look perty :clap: , would like to grab a set just to put in the stash. :twisted:
Audison Bit Ten
Hertz HSK163's (x2)
Hertz HX250 subs (x2)
Hertz HDP1
Hertz HDP4
PG Tantrum BassCUBE
XS Power D4900
Misc. PG Install Goodies

"Old-Skool TI-Whore"
Thumper88

Post by Thumper88 »

Hmm...about the same size as the PDX amps, but not much power....sd600.1, 600w @ 1 ohm :shock:
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

those are some neat little amps, happy to see the plexi back, can't wait to see them in person. One day.....
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
El-Akeem

Post by El-Akeem »

What a marketing bullshit is this: SD Amplifiers are the newest creation from the engineering gurus at Phoenix Gold.

Is engineering guru a new synonym for someone who travels to HK Electronics Fair and orders a slightly redesign of an already developed product? Oh, Mr. ..., please put the crossover potentiometers here and use this type of rca sockets there.

They are clones of the ARC XXD and Cerwin Vega Stealth amps...
It seems that PG likes tU BUY...

The unique engineering of PG has finally gone! Or can you use a LPL 44 with the SD amps?
Last edited by El-Akeem on Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thumper88

Post by Thumper88 »

good call on the xxd...the specs are very similar.. :?

While I was looking at the specs on Arc's web site, I also noticed they offer direct sales through their web site...
NewOldStock

Post by NewOldStock »

Thumper88 wrote:While I was looking at the specs on Arc's web site, I also noticed they offer direct sales through their web site...

Ssssshhhhhh - letting that out of the bag will ruin their dealer network and flood the market with cheap amps that will ultimately ruin the brand.

however, I do like the look of the new amps. at first glance, they dont appear to be exact replicas of the XXD or CV amps, though they do look an awful lot like them. Possibly the same chassis/heat sink? I definitely dont see a problem with reusing an existing/available chassis to hold an amp. the real question is internals... since the end plates are different, I am betting that while similar in power, the internals are PG.
MX2 Crossover
Sapphire 1.5x - Sold
Roadster66 #11 - Sold
(2) RSdC 102 10" Subwoofers - Sold
El-Akeem

Post by El-Akeem »

ARC does the direct online sales with Shopatron, the same as JL Audio does.
In don't see any problem in it and I am pretty sure, that all ARC dealers know about that.
scottn29

Post by scottn29 »

El-Akeem wrote:What a marketing bullshit is this: SD Amplifiers are the newest creation from the engineering gurus at Phoenix Gold.

Is engineering guru a new synonym for someone who travels to HK Electronics Fair and orders a slightly redesign of an already developed product? Oh, Mr. ..., please put the crossover potentiometers here and use this type of rca sockets there.

They are clones of the ARC XXD and Cerwin Vega Stealth amps...
It seems that PG likes tU BUY...

The unique engineering of PG has finally gone! Or can you use a LPL 44 with the SD amps?

Looks like it the exact same.

http://www.ubuy.com.tw/showroom/amplifi ... amplifiers

Atleast they went with a Zeff design and not some cheap ass shit. Zeff has some really cool amps in the works with full DSP built in.

I would like to try some of the new PG amps, but I wont pay retail for them.
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

the internals through the window look quite a bit different to me then the ubuy. i cant find guts pics of the cerwin or arc ones.
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
scottn29

Post by scottn29 »

Bfowler wrote:the internals through the window look quite a bit different to me then the ubuy. i cant find guts pics of the cerwin or arc ones.

I would be willing to bet money that the internal layout is the exact same thing. Now brand of caps and such might be different, but layout is the exact same. I would like to believe different, but I know better than to with Ubuy.
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

shit...the 4 channel does look damn smiler (the PG has less caps?)
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
scottn29

Post by scottn29 »

Bfowler wrote:shit...the 4 channel does look damn smiler (the PG has less caps?)

It does look like it, maybe they bypassed 2 spots and used bigger uf values. I will say that every Zeff designed amp I have used has been nothing but great. Will do what its rated for and reliable as hell. Depending on price point, these might do well for PG

Its kinda like the Arc mini's and the Vibe lightboxes, they are the same amp in circuit, the only differences are the color of the boards and some different part brands, the heatsink of course is alittle different.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Are you guys really surprised it is not in house engineered? Does that even make sense in today's car audio scene? Certainly not for a company like PG that is just getting back into the market! The R&D costs of a totally new, unique full range class D amplifier would probably bankrupt PG right now. In fact the only build house I can think of that has done anything remotely unique is JL, and clearly they have a lot more budget to work with than comparably small players like PG. Personally I am happy to see this line NOT being engineered in house, because it means the profit margins will be higher, and it will offer a competitive product in the small amp segment. What this means is more money going to PG, which they can spend on engineering the real amps we crave - top of the line A/B! The more time they spend engineering the little amps, the less time they spend engineering the amps we care about the most!

Who buys these amps anyways? Hardcore enthusiasts like us are for the most part not scared of sacrificing a bit of trunk space to install top of the line triple darlington A/B amplifiers. These micro amps are more aimed towards minivan installs, not hardcore audiophiles. You think the majority of the people who will buy this amp will know that Arc offers a similar one? Nope. They will go to their local brick and mortar, see the tiny little PG amp and say "Wow it puts out X watts, and I can fit it under my seat! And it costs less than the Alpine and JL!".

I will start getting worried when their meat and potatoes amps become cookie cutters. Otherwise this just looks like a good way to get more money flowing into PG, so that we will get better gear in the long term.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

with "the one" being almost unattainable or unusable to most people and then these being overly common I am not so sure like it. Take into account that I still have no ability to hear any of them and it doesn't matter....

I could consider the 6 channel to keep the roadster in its case, but I am almost afraid to know what they want for it.
todd217

Post by todd217 »

Morgan said the ti1600.5 has a retail of 1099.
dvnt88

Post by dvnt88 »

todd217 wrote:Morgan said the ti1600.5 has a retail of 1099.
^^^ this is the 1 I want and tax time is comin' up :mrgreen: , soooooo may need to get one in the stash. :twisted:
Audison Bit Ten
Hertz HSK163's (x2)
Hertz HX250 subs (x2)
Hertz HDP1
Hertz HDP4
PG Tantrum BassCUBE
XS Power D4900
Misc. PG Install Goodies

"Old-Skool TI-Whore"
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

funny I paid $400 for the roadster :roll: , wonder which one will be in the stang? :?
todd217

Post by todd217 »

dvnt88 wrote:
^^^ this is the 1 I want and tax time is comin' up :mrgreen: , soooooo may need to get one in the stash. :twisted:
im thinking the same thing. hopefully it we be available soon.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

remember the roadster was listed at that price originally but they could be had for less. I think I will at the very least wait a bit to see if the price comes down the way their stuff does.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

ttocs wrote:remember the roadster was listed at that price originally but they could be had for less. I think I will at the very least wait a bit to see if the price comes down the way their stuff does.
The underinflated pricing was only due to Rodin's massive distributor leaks to eBay. The new stuff cannot be found at cost anymore. You actually have to pay near MSRP now.