Morgan - can you explain a couple things?

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
NewOldStock

Morgan - can you explain a couple things?

Post by NewOldStock »

looking on the PG site, drooling over the new gear, I cant help but notice the additions.

the Ti2, SL (slim), and the R3 subs.

I like the look of them, but can you tell us what the differences are?

Whats new/different about the Ti2? the cone looks different, the rubber gasket looks different, it almost looks like the basket is different... motor structure? Is this more of an AAMP subwoofer rather than an updated Rodin subwoofer? (not bashing at ALL, but we discussed the product refreshes when they first came out)

the R3's look good, but look like they "just" have a new cone, which IMO looks better than the R1/R2, but only because thats the look I prefer...

last/finally, are the Ti subs the refresh of the RSDC subs or are/were they a new design and they R1/R2 subs a refresh of the RSDC subs?

Thanks!
-Ryan
MX2 Crossover
Sapphire 1.5x - Sold
Roadster66 #11 - Sold
(2) RSdC 102 10" Subwoofers - Sold
MW3
Morgan @ PG

Re: Morgan - can you explain a couple things?

Post by MW3 »

Just finished up with CES! Our booth was PACKED!

Give me a few days and I will give a full rundown of all the new stuff.

Been slammed with lots of stuff, sorry I haven't posted much the last few weeks.
Morgan West
Phoenix Gold Product Manager
NewOldStock

Post by NewOldStock »

don't be sorry... We're all juiced that you guys are getting the action your getting. I am just hoping for some info... :D
MX2 Crossover
Sapphire 1.5x - Sold
Roadster66 #11 - Sold
MW3
Morgan @ PG

Post by MW3 »

Ryan,

Here is the rundown or the inside scoop of the changes for this year for woofers:

Ti2 -

Ti12 woofer was our top seller in terms of revenue last year, obviously R112 was top seller in terms of units. Some issues our dealers raised is that the Ti looks too similar to the R1 and R2. The more expensive woofer should have a decidedly different look that matches Ti amplifiers better hence the change in cosmetics.

In terms of performance, the Ti surround looks big and tough but we really aren't using it to its full potential. So we made the surround smaller which increases our cone area and readjusted the suspension a bit for better sealed box performance. If you like RSDc you will LOVE Ti2's as we also integrated the foam injected cone technology used on RSDc. Power handling and Xmax remains the same. We also wove the tinsel leads into the spider.

R3 -

Again our dealers prefer a slightly different look for each woofer line, so we went with a more sleek dust cap look. We have also increased basket thickness and other production glue methods to increase reliability. There are some small tweaks to the durometer of the surround and spider rates to for better control during high excursion especially in sealed boxes. We also now offer dual 2 and 4 ohm models.

SL -

Thin woofers. 3.6" mounting depth for 10 and 4.0" for the 12. Even though they are thin they have some serious Xmax to them, just a bit less than an R3 woofer. Optimized for small sealed boxes. One nice thing we integrated into the woofer is a die cast heatsink/spider spacer that greatly increases power handling. If you are looking for a thin woofer that actually makes a lot of output without costing a lot you should seriously consider these woofers.
Morgan West
Irongoats

Post by Irongoats »

Nice breakdown will probably update my RSD'S (all around) when I get back home.
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life'. That is Honor!
NewOldStock

Post by NewOldStock »

MW3 wrote:Ryan,

Here is the rundown or the inside scoop of the changes for this year for woofers:

Ti2 -

Ti12 woofer was our top seller in terms of revenue last year, obviously R112 was top seller in terms of units. Some issues our dealers raised is that the Ti looks too similar to the R1 and R2. The more expensive woofer should have a decidedly different look that matches Ti amplifiers better hence the change in cosmetics.

In terms of performance, the Ti surround looks big and tough but we really aren't using it to its full potential. So we made the surround smaller which increases our cone area and readjusted the suspension a bit for better sealed box performance. If you like RSDc you will LOVE Ti2's as we also integrated the foam injected cone technology used on RSDc. Power handling and Xmax remains the same. We also wove the tinsel leads into the spider.

R3 -

Again our dealers prefer a slightly different look for each woofer line, so we went with a more sleek dust cap look. We have also increased basket thickness and other production glue methods to increase reliability. There are some small tweaks to the durometer of the surround and spider rates to for better control during high excursion especially in sealed boxes. We also now offer dual 2 and 4 ohm models.

SL -

Thin woofers. 3.6" mounting depth for 10 and 4.0" for the 12. Even though they are thin they have some serious Xmax to them, just a bit less than an R3 woofer. Optimized for small sealed boxes. One nice thing we integrated into the woofer is a die cast heatsink/spider spacer that greatly increases power handling. If you are looking for a thin woofer that actually makes a lot of output without costing a lot you should seriously consider these woofers.
Wow, thank you! Thats way more detail than I had hoped!
MX2 Crossover
Sapphire 1.5x - Sold
Roadster66 #11 - Sold
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Wonder if the Ti2's have the same mounting diameter as the RSDC... I have the perfect box made, and the RSDC's plain black cone never appealed to me all that much. Ti2 would match my Ti amps much better!
MW3
Morgan @ PG

Post by MW3 »

stipud wrote:Wonder if the Ti2's have the same mounting diameter as the RSDC... I have the perfect box made, and the RSDC's plain black cone never appealed to me all that much. Ti2 would match my Ti amps much better!
Mounting hole for Ti/Ti2/RSDc is the same diameter.
Morgan West
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

MW3 wrote:Mounting hole for Ti/Ti2/RSDc is the same diameter.
Nice. Might have to pick one up next time I go to the states. Can only find r-spec gear here in Canuckistan.
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

so the r3 is a evolution of the rsd? how has the sound changed?
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
MW3
Morgan @ PG

Post by MW3 »

R3 has a lot of small improvements in terms of build quality. Foam coated tinsel leads, doubled looped leads at the terminal and cone, six screw basket attachment (instead of four) and different gluing process of the motor that makes it a stronger and more reliable from a build standpoint.

Sound is always so subjective. Vented its a wash, but driven hard in a sealed box the R3 (especially the 12) holds its composure a little better and is more tolerant of smaller boxes.

Its kinda splitting hairs, both are great drivers.
Morgan West