Elite Amps on PG website

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
AVICJR
Team Coach

Elite Amps on PG website

Post by AVICJR »

The Elite line of amps are up on the PG website.

http://www.phoenixgold.com/products/amplifiers/Elite/
kg1961
Got wood?

Re: Elite Amps on PG website

Post by kg1961 »

let down
Last edited by kg1961 on Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

wow mike are you ok?
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
rc10mike

Post by rc10mike »

I REALLY like these new amps, but I still dont understand why the 2ch isnt more like the Soundstream HRU.2 power wise. They seem to compete directly with each other.
MW3
Morgan @ PG

Post by MW3 »

rc10mike wrote:I REALLY like these new amps, but I still dont understand why the 2ch isnt more like the Soundstream HRU.2 power wise. They seem to compete directly with each other.
It appears HRU.2 is discontinued, its no secret its targeted for use with bullet speakers where sound quality is not a major priority. It appears to lack Monolithic signal caps, burr brown op-amps, Sanken dual package devices, etc.

All Elite amps include birth certificates and deliver up to 30% more RMS power than they are rated for.

The HRU.2 supposedly makes twice the power of the Elite.2. Yet, its heat sink size is nearly the same and mass is less.

If it truly makes twice the amount of power its going to have significant thermal issues, or it will need to begin rolling back power rather quickly to continue operation.

Not saying HRU.2 is a bad amp. But they are targeted for a little different audiences.
Morgan West
Phoenix Gold Product Manager
rc10mike

Post by rc10mike »

MW3 wrote:
rc10mike wrote:I REALLY like these new amps, but I still dont understand why the 2ch isnt more like the Soundstream HRU.2 power wise. They seem to compete directly with each other.
It appears HRU.2 is discontinued, its no secret its targeted for use with bullet speakers where sound quality is not a major priority. It appears to lack Monolithic signal caps, burr brown op-amps, Sanken dual package devices, etc.

All Elite amps include birth certificates and deliver up to 30% more RMS power than they are rated for.

The HRU.2 supposedly makes twice the power of the Elite.2. Yet, its heat sink size is nearly the same and mass is less.

If it truly makes twice the amount of power its going to have significant thermal issues, or it will need to begin rolling back power rather quickly to continue operation.

Not saying HRU.2 is a bad amp. But they are targeted for a little different audiences.
I highly doubt an $1800, .005% THD, 105db SNR HRU.2 amp is targeted toward kids running bullet tweeters. IMO, the HRU.2 and Elite2 are in the same league, except for power., but whatever, you have a product to promote.
southfloridaPGlover

Post by southfloridaPGlover »

:clap:
PG FOR LIFE
southfloridaPGlover

Post by southfloridaPGlover »

i think morgan is right about the hru.2 imo http://www.caraudio.com/forums/general- ... s-ppi.html
PG FOR LIFE
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

so is it the price that makes them in the same league and comparable? I am not sure why its hard to understand why the elite amp with SQ rated componants is different from it, even if you do not look at the power output. Compairing one amp to another that is rated at twice the power seems like comparing a camaro to an amg. Camaro is good and its fast but whats inside of the amg is what makes it different. Besides that compairing the rated specs of one amp next to the other is about as usefull as arm-chair-drag racing compairing hp and tq numbers to argue about who will win the race.
rc10mike

Post by rc10mike »

southfloridaPGlover wrote:i think morgan is right about the hru.2 imo http://www.caraudio.com/forums/general- ... s-ppi.html
I know SS is under new ownership, but they werent when the HR series came out. The HRU contains the same quality parts as the HR series, but with a simple black heatsink instead of the expensive zombie face heatsink.
rc10mike

Post by rc10mike »

ttocs wrote:so is it the price that makes them in the same league and comparable? I am not sure why its hard to understand why the elite amp with SQ rated componants is different from it, even if you do not look at the power output. Compairing one amp to another that is rated at twice the power seems like comparing a camaro to an amg. Camaro is good and its fast but whats inside of the amg is what makes it different. Besides that compairing the rated specs of one amp next to the other is about as usefull as arm-chair-drag racing compairing hp and tq numbers to argue about who will win the race.
Well, all companies have their high end and low end lines. The Elite amps for PG is the HRU amps for SS. Both amps have amazing features. Both are expensive. But let me add to this, the HRU amps retailed for $1800.00 when they were released. Both have great SnR and THD numbers as provided by the manufacturer, although PG doesnt list a THD other than <1%.

Bottom line: Both are awesome SQ type amps, to say they arent is ignorant.

I may end up owning the Elite.4 and possibly the Elite.1, but I wish the Elite.2 had the power of the HRU.2 as I love class A/B on subs. Morgan claims its nearly impossible for the HRU.2 to make the power it does, but I also own other similar physical sized 2kw A/B sub amps from another brand.

I do like the detent freq. and remote clipping indicator on the Elite though.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

compairing two pieces just because they are those companies high-end line again really isn't apples/apples to me. Take the chevy/amg analogy again and pick their two best cars and its just not the same thing.
rc10mike

Post by rc10mike »

ttocs wrote:compairing two pieces just because they are those companies high-end line again really isn't apples/apples to me. Take the chevy/amg analogy again and pick their two best cars and its just not the same thing.
So you're saying that just because the HRU.2 is rated at twice that of the Elite.2, that its not a fair comparison? Even when the given specs/features/price point say otherwise? Both are aimed toward SQ, not the average kid running bullet tweets like Morgan says.

Im having trouble seeing you point here.

Im not an amp engineer, but just because PG tells you what brand name components are installed in their gear, doesnt mean that SS doesnt use some other equal or better.

Do you know what Mcintosh, Audison, Zapco, Mosconi, Sinfoni, Alpine F1 uses in their amps?

The SS HRU series has been in many SQ champion vehicles.

After all, I dont have any problems at all with the new Elite amps (other than the .2 power output). What I do have an issue with is people here failing to see that other amps are just as good if not better than the new Elite series. Again, I like what PG has done with the .4 and .1. They seem great.

This is the PG forum, so I expect a bias, but some of it is plain ignorance.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

not sure if you calling my debating you ignorant or not, but either way welcome to the forum newb :clap:

"So you're saying that just because the HRU.2 is rated at twice that of the Elite.2, that its not a fair comparison? Even when the given specs/features/price point say otherwise? Both are aimed toward SQ, not the average kid running bullet tweets like Morgan says." - ahh well yes exactly.... When have you read an amp comparison where one amp had 2x the rated power of the other?
Last edited by ttocs on Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rc10mike

Post by rc10mike »

Another thing I will also add this:

PG: I would like to see you succeed, these new amps are great, and will probably be the last high-end amps you will see in todays market. Car audio is dying. Its a sad thing. I hope you can sell enough to make a profit.

The issue is:
I found out about these amps by the forum.

Only a small % of people care enough about car audio to visit forums.

I think you really need to advertize more. Get the word about these amps out.

Many high end car audio companies have quit the high end market in the last few years, (at least in the US).

I sincerely wish you guys the best, and thank you for bringing high-end stuff back to our hobby.

IMO.
rc10mike

Post by rc10mike »

ttocs wrote:not sure if you calling my debating you ignorant or not, but either way welcome to the forum newb :clap:

"So you're saying that just because the HRU.2 is rated at twice that of the Elite.2, that its not a fair comparison? Even when the given specs/features/price point say otherwise? Both are aimed toward SQ, not the average kid running bullet tweets like Morgan says." - ahh well yes exactly.... When have you read an amp comparison where one amp had 2x the rated power of the other?
I am calling you ignorant, because you haven't proved otherwise. I dont want this thread to turn ugly, but you are by all definitions, being ignorant. Not to mention the "forum newb" comment..
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

rc10mike wrote:
ttocs wrote:not sure if you calling my debating you ignorant or not, but either way welcome to the forum newb :clap:

I am calling you ignorant, because you haven't proved otherwise. I dont want this thread to turn ugly, but you are by all definitions, being ignorant. Not to mention the "forum newb" comment..

Wow, not even sure how to take the first two sentences. How about I say thankyou and then follow the next sentence with fuck you? I mean I don't want it to turn ugly but when a phorum newb makes an entrance like that, well I don't care. You have 13 posts, should we call you phorum master? You seem like an intelligent person the way you talk, but the double talk you do in the following sentence after you compliment is the strangest passive-aggresive bs I have ever hear/seen.

amps are normally compaired to each other in similar power ratings right? Or by price?
rc10mike

Post by rc10mike »

ttocs wrote:
rc10mike wrote:

Wow, not even sure how to take the first two sentences. How about I say thankyou and then follow the next sentence with fuck you? I mean I don't want it to turn ugly but when a phorum newb makes an entrance like that, well I don't care. You have 13 posts, should we call you phorum master? You seem like an intelligent person the way you talk, but the double talk you do in the following sentence after you compliment is the strangest passive-aggresive bs I have ever hear/seen.

amps are normally compaired to each other in similar power ratings right? Or by price?
You seem to think that post count is somewhat important. Thats fine, I see it on many forums, but the reality is its not. You dont know the background of the person posting, and thats that.

I have real respect for PG to release something high-end in this economy. They are going against the grain if you will. I wish them luck, I hope they spark something that has been been dying they last few years. Orion and PPI are some that have tried to "come back" to what they once were, but sadly, their new products are just average. PG on the other hand is trying to be TRUE high end, and I like that. I applaud them.

My only gripe was the 2ch Elite wasnt what I thought it could be, hence my post about the HRU.2. Other than that the new Elites look amazing.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I had in no way considered your post count to be your IQ, still haven't. I was trying to point out that you do not know any of us on here so to start saying what I/we are saying is ignorant because you do not agree, well makes you one hell of an asshole to be blunt. I don't think in my years of forums that I have seen someone make an attack like that before even intoducing himself. Examples of my work and my experience are on here which is where the post count might be relivent where as you again made that wonderful first impression which is all we have to go by now.

but since you want to change the subj of why you want to compair these two....... I too agree that they were a great company, are again making great stuff that is aginst the grain and that they have been slow in the roll-out of the new lines. They are finally making there way to my shitty little town so unless you are in the boonies they should be near you too.
rc10mike

Post by rc10mike »

ttocs wrote:I had in no way considered your post count to be your IQ, still haven't. I was trying to point out that you do not know any of us on here so to start saying what I/we are saying is ignorant because you do not agree, well makes you one hell of an asshole to be blunt. I don't think in my years of forums that I have seen someone make an attack like that before even intoducing himself. Examples of my work and my experience are on here which is where the post count might be relivent where as you again made that wonderful first impression which is all we have to go by now.

but since you want to change the subj of why you want to compair these two....... I too agree that they were a great company, are again making great stuff that is aginst the grain and that they have been slow in the roll-out of the new lines. They are finally making there way to my shitty little town so unless you are in the boonies they should be near you too.
I dont need to know people on here to post valid points. I see a huge bias on here based on the fact that its a PG forum. Thats fine with me. I know I will see it at one time or another.

Like I said, its the extreme bias on here that keeps me posting.

The new PG Elite amps look awesome, but putting down other obvious high-end amps w/o any real reason is just plain ignorant. (like saying they're for kids with bullet tweeters)

In the position that PG is in right now, with their "Elite" amps, I would really expect a more "Elite" response rather than just saying other amps are for newbs with bullet tweeters.

To me, MW3's responses haven't really been too "Elite"

If I were him in this position, I would try to come across as professional and knowledgeable as possible. With real reasons and real facts. After all, this it the best amps PG has ever released.
Last edited by rc10mike on Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

rc10mike wrote:
ttocs wrote:I had in no way considered your post count to be your IQ, still haven't. I was trying to point out that you do not know any of us on here so to start saying what I/we are saying is ignorant because you do not agree, well makes you one hell of an asshole to be blunt. I don't think in my years of forums that I have seen someone make an attack like that before even intoducing himself. Examples of my work and my experience are on here which is where the post count might be relivent where as you again made that wonderful first impression which is all we have to go by now.

I dont need to know people on here to post valid points. I see a huge bias on here based on the fact that its a PG forum. Thats fine with me. I know I will see it at one time or another.

The new PG Elite amps look awesome, but putting down other obvious high-end amps w/o any real reason is just plain ignorant. (like saying they're for kids with bullet tweeters)
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand putting down other members to a forum that you are new in, makes you an asshole. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand comming on a forum to argue the bias that it might have makes you a troll..... But with your exp in forums that should not be a new idea for you, not the first time we got one of those guys on here and unfortunatly will not be the last. I am sure you are a really nice guy, somewhere, sometime, with some people :arrow:
rc10mike

Post by rc10mike »

ttocs wrote:
rc10mike wrote:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand putting down other members to a forum that you are new in, makes you an asshole. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand comming on a forum to argue the bias that it might have makes you a troll..... But with your exp in forums that should not be a new idea for you, not the first time we got one of those guys on here and unfortunatly will not be the last. I am sure you are a really nice guy, somewhere, sometime, with some people :arrow:
I never put anyone on this forum down, and I didnt come here to argue. I found out about the Elite amps by randomly visiting this forum after a few years. I came here to ask about the Elite.2, but was told my HRU.2 was a POS and was made for newbs with bullet tweeters. This made me question the overall knowledge of the members of this forum, since I know for a fact my HRU amp is better than most.

Its as simple as this:

If someone would've professionally explained WHY my HRU amp was inferior to said Elite amp, then I probably could've left it at that and left, but for many to come here and say that the HRU.2 amp is just a piece of low end crap intended for those with bullet tweeters and is just plain ignorant, coming from a thread started about high end amps.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

oh crap I guess I misunderstood when you said I was acting ignorant. Must have not been a put down when you consider all I was saying is these are two totally different amps in different power classes.

again, welcome to the phorum trolling-passive-aggresive-newby-asshole. Nice to have met you and its great that you came by to stick your opinion in here.
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

Post by oldskoolmseriesfan »

I agree rc long story short too much flameing and name calling to some of the "NEWBS" I welcome you rc...there is ALOT of knowledgable people on here ttoccs includeid ofcourse. one more thing I dont agree with Morgans stupid kid bullet tweet answer either...Speak up and explain Morgan... sell our product proudly and sell the product the way it should be advertised..please explain your half assed "my product is better" answer
rant over :beer:
Phorum PI!
Square woofers are GAY!!
rc10mike

Post by rc10mike »

The Elite products speak for themselves, Morgan was good at pointing this out. Its they way he comes across as making other high-end amps out there to be just pieces of junk that I dont agree with. That being said, I guess Im done here.