Hey Morgan, whats a "normal" 12 inch sub?

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
Bigred41291

Hey Morgan, whats a "normal" 12 inch sub?

Post by Bigred41291 »

Just got done looking at the pg website and it says the elite can move as much air as"three normal 12 inch drivers" just curious what pg considers a normal 12 inch woofer
MW3
Morgan @ PG

Re: Hey Morgan, whats a "normal" 12 inch sub?

Post by MW3 »

A woofer with roughly 20mm of peak to peak Xmax would be a decent reference point.
Morgan West
Phoenix Gold Product Manager
rc10mike

Post by rc10mike »

By normal he means flea market crap subs that cost about $30 each. Its not what really what I would consider normal...but thats not the point.

If your so stuck on xmax as the main factor, get a RE XXX, it has 54mm ONE WAY.
Bigred41291

Post by Bigred41291 »

rc10mike wrote:By normal he means flea market crap subs that cost about $30 each. Its not what really what I would consider normal...but thats not the point.

Well seing as I have already used one I will mention that the w3v3 has 26mm of xmax(peak to peak) and funny story about RE everytime I bought one of their products I had bad luck like I bought 2 rex12s from this kid on cl and he had the wires switched on the inside(neg. To a pos. Terminal) didn't say anything to me about it hooked em up to tune em and poof they blew plus I was gonna buy this xxx15 but the old man sold it to someone else as I wa pulling in his driveway ever since then ive had a bad taste in my mouth from RE Audio
rc10mike

Post by rc10mike »

Another thing you have to consider is effective piston size or "SD". The more xmax a sub has; generally the surround is much bigger, this decreases SD.
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

Bigred41291 wrote:
rc10mike wrote:By normal he means flea market crap subs that cost about $30 each. Its not what really what I would consider normal...but thats not the point.

Well seing as I have already used one I will mention that the w3v3 has 26mm of xmax(peak to peak) and funny story about RE everytime I bought one of their products I had bad luck like I bought 2 rex12s from this kid on cl and he had the wires switched on the inside(neg. To a pos. Terminal) didn't say anything to me about it hooked em up to tune em and poof they blew plus I was gonna buy this xxx15 but the old man sold it to someone else as I wa pulling in his driveway ever since then ive had a bad taste in my mouth from RE Audio
Not to get too off topic, but getting a bad taste for a brand because of bad CL deals doesn't make sense. I'd be more put off by CL and idiots then I would RE Audio.
XS2300, XS2500, XS2300, X200.4, X100.2, Ti21000.4, Roadster 66

I'm gonna become a civil engineer. I'm gonna design septic tanks for playgrounds. Little kids can take shits! You idiot, what the hell do you do?
Bigred41291

Post by Bigred41291 »

Yes I know but just can't bring myself to buy anything of theirs yet
Mackenzie
Where all da white women at?

Post by Mackenzie »

Re audio went to crap as soon as scott left it, and started up fi. Definately not the same company, but yes I see the piont being made.