the speaker on the new RMD's

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

the speaker on the new RMD's

Post by ttocs »

What is the speaker on the new RMD's do? Is that a low voltage alarm of some type? I ask because while I will have RMD's/SDT's all over it would be nice to have an audible alarm when it got too low as well... By new RMD I mean the one that looks just like the older ones but with the block letters rather then the cursive writting, not as in this one:

http://phoenixgold.com/products/accesso ... oductID=54
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
MW3
Morgan @ PG

Re: the speaker on the new RMD's

Post by MW3 »

Speaker on the RMD? There isn't one.

The new RMD is much better than the old version in terms of installation. The old version is HUGE, the new version is tiny. You can mount it about anywhere. Its also about half the price.
Morgan West
Phoenix Gold Product Manager
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

by new rmd I do not mean the one that is currently on the phoenix site that has been completely redesigned. The one I am talking about is still the older style mount, but rather then the block cursive letters on the rough black finish it has the block letters on a satin finish. Putting it next to a standard/older rmd the boards are completely different and there is a small round cylinder next to the led that is clearly marked "speaker" on the circuit board next to it. I can post some pics if I need to but I figured you would know what I meant. Could this be a counterfit piece then?
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

after reading the pin-out on the schematic incorrectly I melted one of the cables that came with the rmd. Today I went out and found a replacement and took it home and wire it up. Got the first one wired up and the wire colors made sence, red/yellow was hot and black/grn(dark colors) were ground. Tested it out with my power source and it worked fine with the newer style rmd that I talking about. I wired the 2nd jack(I am using 2, 1 for each battery) and went to test it, rather then light up, the speaker sounded in a solid fairly high-pitch sound. Didn't understand why until I inspected the pin-out on the 2nd one I did and notice that the pins were backwards on this one, the cable flipped it so it was now wired backwards.

So - the speaker is there to tell you if you have it wired backwards and prevent you from melting your cable.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

still curious about this morgan is this a counter fit piece or just a small design change forgotton about?

You can see pics of them on the top of this page. Click on the pic and you will get a larger image that shows the speaker.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2395420/1 ... 2d/page-12

I would post the pics here directly but I am in the hospital again and for some reason not able to do it here.