Phoenix Gold Elite.5 5 Channel

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
J.Wright

Re: Phoenix Gold Elite.5 5 Channel

Post by J.Wright »

This might be posted somewhere but I haven't saw it....

What does the Elite.5's mono channel do at 4ohms ?

Thanks !
J
System in progress...
Drock

Phoenix Gold Elite.5 5 Channel

Post by Drock »

J.Wright wrote:This might be posted somewhere but I haven't saw it....

What does the Elite.5's mono channel do at 4ohms ?

Thanks !
J
Well it's 700 at 2 ohm so I'd guess its 300-400 rms at 4 ohm.
I personally would use a dual 4ohm sub and run at 2 ohm or a pair at 1 ohm.
Go to pg website, click on the elite amps and open the tech sheet. Is has all the info there.
J.Wright

Post by J.Wright »

I was hoping for more than that.... I'll be using a single 4ohm sub....
System in progress...
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

gonna run mine at 1 ohm, plenty-o-power.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Starunit10

Post by Starunit10 »

Seems like the new ti2 .5 has more power. Any one do a compare?
Collection Growing..........
evo9

Post by evo9 »

J.Wright wrote:I was hoping for more than that.... I'll be using a single 4ohm sub....

I can tell you right now its on the weak side with a 4ohms sub! I currently have a JL12w3v3-4 connected. I will update later today if I can get a 12w3v3-2 locally.
J.Wright

Post by J.Wright »

Not what I wanted to hear... :?
System in progress...
Drock

Post by Drock »

Just keep in mind, its a 5 channel amp. And a very good sq amp at that. Take advantage of the power available. A good dv4 or dv2 sub is not that expensive. As far as running a single 4 ohm sub, i don't think many people would run a setup like that anyway. It was built to run optimally at 2 or 1 ohm. That's why 4 ohm is not even listed on the spec sheet.
evo9

Post by evo9 »

J.Wright wrote:Not what I wanted to hear... :?
Cheer up. It is better with a 2ohms sub connected!

The amp is without a doubt an ES CUE /SQ amplifier. It is as good, if not better than my Audison Voce AV5.1K. Unlike the Audison, the PG elites goes about is business with a whole lot less heat ! Morgan or Eric D can explain that. But, I drove from Palm beach to Hollywood about 60 miles. When I got to the store in Hollywood to pick up the sub. I checked both amps and they hardly had any heat. Seems like they were about 10 degree or less above ambient temperature. I was listening to the stereo from 1/2 to 3/4, on the volume all the time during the trip. On shorter trips than that my Audisons voce would be much warmer. Anyway, I swapped out the sub before I headed back to Palm Beach. Though I got more bass output with the 2ohms sub. The amp still did not make anymore heat.

Sonicwise it would be splitting hair between the Audison voce & the PG elites. They are both very detailed amplifiers in sound reproduction. The Audison voce are more laid back, while the PG elites are in your face. As mention before, these PG elites sounds similar to my Tru Technology custom billets amps with the stage III kit & PS upgrade. The only problem I have the the PG elites, is the same as my Tru Technology custom amps. I keep listening to them at very hi volume . Something about that in your face sound that makes me want to crank on the volume all the time.

Morgan, I have one small complaint. On the remote knob, the blue LED should be recessed. The way it protrudes above the metal case is blinding/distracting. I have mine mounted low, below my steering wheel. And I had to tint it with a black magic marker.
Last edited by evo9 on Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
evo9

Post by evo9 »

Drock wrote:Just keep in mind, its a 5 channel amp. And a very good sq amp at that. Take advantage of the power available. A good dv4 or dv2 sub is not that expensive. As far as running a single 4 ohm sub, i don't think many people would run a setup like that anyway. It was built to run optimally at 2 or 1 ohm. That's why 4 ohm is not even listed on the spec sheet.

If the amp prior is rated at 4ohms, then thats with it is. Such was my case.
Last edited by evo9 on Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

you can always swap out for a DVC sub to get more power out of it later if its not giving enough power, or try a bass cube.

On the remote, does that have a disconnect on the back of it or is it hard-wired out of it?
evo9

Post by evo9 »

ttocs wrote:you can always swap out for a DVC sub to get more power out of it later if its not giving enough power, or try a bass cube.

On the remote, does that have a disconnect on the back of it or is it hard-wired out of it?

YES! RJ22 connector amp & remote.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

oh thank dear god... I always hated that about the old ones made removing dash panels harder then it needed too be.
evo9

Post by evo9 »

As for that 5 channels of FUNK........................... Last 6 seconds

Or

Is it live Or is it PG Elites :D

ttocs

Post by ttocs »

how does the cooling work on these? I see they have vents on the side/bottom to draw air in with and it looks like the bottom/sides is the heat sink but I don't see a vent anywhere else on the side to allow air to pass through. Is it in one side out the other somehow? Can't figure it out with where the fan is...

Also probably better suited for morgan - How easy is it to take these apart to paint them? I can't help but think it would look killer with a gloss black instead of the machined aluminum....
MW3
Morgan @ PG

Post by MW3 »

There isn't a fan on the Elite.5, simply wasn't enough room to include a fan.

Our priority was to keep the the same size as the others models. However, since the sub section is Class D this provides a large reduction in heat.

The heatsink itself is massive, even without the fan. Very little thermal concerns based on our bench and in car testing.
Morgan West
Phoenix Gold Product Manager
evo9

Post by evo9 »

I don't think this elite.5 amp will ever need a fan. I dont know if I will ever get my elite.4 fan to come on. Only one side of both amps has the little heat I mention above. The other side of the amps were at ambient temperature. The heatsink fins are below the circuit board. Take a look >>> http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/v ... xftDLBMSQh
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I saw that and was planning on leaving the back open just to be sure. Living in phoenix for 10 yrs is hard to get out of you, extra cooling is never a bad thing.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

went into my local shop across town to see if they had any elite amps in but was not suprised that they didn't. This just isn't the kind or area that would go for something that nice, they will be lucky to sell a few really. But after talking for a second about the .5 he asked what kind of wire I was using to hook it up, I replied back phoenix gold. He paused for a second and said they do not make that wire anymore, but if I used stinger wire and had them, an authorized dealer install the amp, that I would have a 3 yr warrenty. I chuckled a little as I responded back that the pg warranty is not good when I use pg wire? And what if it is installed by a formerly authorized installer whos mecp cert exp 8 yrs ago? He wasn't sure how to respond as this of course was not his usual questions to answer. :)

Gotta get my taxes done and paid first but after that the .5 will be on its way to me.

Just curious why you didn't include the amp app in these? Was it just a matter of timing and development or is more about keeping the SQ portion of these amps?
MW3
Morgan @ PG

Post by MW3 »

Timing played a small role, but more importantly we wanted to maintain the SQ foundation of the amplifiers, if that makes sense.

Not that adding the APP features would degrade sound quality, but it doesn't follow the line of MS, ZPA, etc, heritage.

Elite.5 is a great amp, I think you will love it.
Morgan West
Phoenix Gold Product Manager
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

I was hoping and praying for the app system to be on it. I am getting a. 5 put in next week, and it has to go behind the back seat of my crew cab, because thats the only place it can go. Of course the back seat doesn't fold down, so the only way to access the amp will be to unbolt the seat and take it out. When I drop the truck off I'm going to take a picture of the amp with my phone because that's the only time I'll ever see it.

Having a wireless control system would have made life so much easier.
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

could always add a rockford 360.X
AVICJR
Team Coach

Post by AVICJR »

The more and more I think about it, this could possibly be PG's best amp ever. Man, I want one badly now!! Haven't felt this way about a PG amp in years..........great job Phoenix Gold!!
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

not sure what argument could be made that the elite line is not the best they have done yet. That is why I decided to upgrade to them recently. I knew if I didn't eventually I would want to rip that stuff out and put something better in.
AVICJR
Team Coach

Post by AVICJR »

Will the sub output on this amp be sufficient enough to run the new Elite sub?