help needed on orion concept 98.1

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
dree_19

help needed on orion concept 98.1

Post by dree_19 »

hi guys,
does anybody can help me with this speaker crossover? i lost the installation manual book and now i'm stuck with all the switches on the xover. anybody can explain me what the use of those switches? or if someone got the installation manual, would you be so kindly to scan it for me..
thanks so much b4.. :)
Attachments
IMG_1249.jpg
IMG_1249.jpg (47.02 KiB) Viewed 10093 times
itchnertamatoa
Itchy Tomato

Post by itchnertamatoa »

these are crappy speakers, you need to sell them to me :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
[url=http://www.phoenixphorum.com][img]http://phoenixphorum.com/templates/Titanium/images/logo.jpg[/img][/url]
Thunderdome

Post by Thunderdome »

I actually called down to dei and they told me they no longer have the manuals as it is to old and really were a concept?? so much for looking after customers :shock: good luck though
-
-
-
Remember: The chart serves only as a starting point. Ultimately you must use your ears as a guide.
dree_19

Post by dree_19 »

itchnertamatoa wrote:these are crappy speakers, you need to sell them to me :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
hehe.. actually i got 2 sets of this speaker, but the other one got no xover, coz someone broke into my garage and took it T_T so i've got to make a custom xover for the speaker.
dree_19

Post by dree_19 »

Thunderdome wrote:I actually called down to dei and they told me they no longer have the manuals as it is to old and really were a concept?? so much for looking after customers :shock: good luck though
yeah, i've asked them for the instalation manual but got no luck..
so my only hope is to get the copy from someone who probably owns it..
itchnertamatoa
Itchy Tomato

Post by itchnertamatoa »

if you decide to sell them ....
I'm interested ...

good luck in finding the manual
[url=http://www.phoenixphorum.com][img]http://phoenixphorum.com/templates/Titanium/images/logo.jpg[/img][/url]
Thunderdome

Post by Thunderdome »

dree_19 wrote:
Thunderdome wrote:I actually called down to dei and they told me they no longer have the manuals as it is to old and really were a concept?? so much for looking after customers :shock: good luck though
yeah, i've asked them for the instalation manual but got no luck..
so my only hope is to get the copy from someone who probably owns it..
To bad there forum doesn,t work must be a real let down for the hard core Orion guy,s took the time to sign up a while back but the forum is a bust what a shame :(
-
-
-
Remember: The chart serves only as a starting point. Ultimately you must use your ears as a guide.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

I posted a link on another forum to see if there were any experts that would know anything. I wouldn't be suprised if they came through, or if they could not find anything about them.......

good luck, looks killer and makes me wish I kept the EQ I had a few years back.....
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

That xover looks beautiful. Too bad Orion doesn't have the manual for this set online. They have manuals for the Concept amps...
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

the responce I was given was that they kept ZERO documentation on the concept stuff other then some small brochures that might have made it to DEI. They said they are fairly crazy x-overs but if you could get a high rez pic of the switches on top that they could probably get your through it.

There is a chance that one of the guys that was really into the developement of them could be on that forum but I will not know till later.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

What are they labeled as on the board? I would assume they are high/low/mod adjustments for each speaker, or something like that.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I think they adjust everything from the freq to the slope of the x-over.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I might have a nibble on this, hold tight for a little bit. I might not be online much today after an endoscopy at 7 am.........
dree_19

Post by dree_19 »

thanks guys.. i'll take a high res picture of the xover and soon will be posted
dree_19

orion concept xover high-res

Post by dree_19 »

here you go..
each switch got 3 step selection (left-middle-right)

thank you very much for the help guys.. really really appreciate it :)
Attachments
IMG_1249hi.jpg
IMG_1249hi.jpg (354.48 KiB) Viewed 9917 times
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

oh that doesn't look too bad.

my guy said he would try and check this weekend, but my best guestimate is that S101 and 102 will control a tweeter attenuation which will allow you to boost the tweet or take a little away, normally +-3db

if you look closely at s103 it says something about axis above it? That is if you are going to mount the tweeter on a different plane then the woofer.

Now 104, 105 and 106 are a little confusing. 105 and 106 look like a woofer attenuation switch possibly(what is written behind the cap)but I am not sure about 104
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

my guy got back to me and has some pamplet but they are just product flyers that tell about the concept stuff, not instructions for. I will post it but for some reason I am having issues with that at this moment, I will try again later.
dree_19

Post by dree_19 »

ttocs wrote:oh that doesn't look too bad.

my guy said he would try and check this weekend, but my best guestimate is that S101 and 102 will control a tweeter attenuation which will allow you to boost the tweet or take a little away, normally +-3db

if you look closely at s103 it says something about axis above it? That is if you are going to mount the tweeter on a different plane then the woofer.

Now 104, 105 and 106 are a little confusing. 105 and 106 look like a woofer attenuation switch possibly(what is written behind the cap)but I am not sure about 104
well you right it doesn't look to bad, but if it possible i would like to know everything about this xover settings, so i can push this speaker to the limit :)
thanks
Jacampb2
Mad Scientist

Post by Jacampb2 »

Worse comes to worse, I would suggest that you pick up a few books and study passive crossover design. Armed with that knowledge, and the component ratings you should be able to trace and figure out what each switch does. My guess would be several different crossover points as well. The big hitch in RE'ing it, will be the inductors, as they typically aren't labeled with their value. They can be measured, or unwound and mathematically calculated, or you might be able to get in the ball park by measuring the size, wire gauge, determine core type, and search through various suppliers catalog till you find something similar...

Good luck on your search though!

Later,
Jason
M: M100, M44 for a custom amp project
Zx: Zx500, Zx450, Black Zx350
ZxTi: 4 Zx600Ti's, 1 Zx400Ti
Ti: 5 800.1's & 900.7 for a custom amp project. 1 1200.1, 1 1000.2
Tantrum: 2 1200.1's, 1 600.4, 1 500.2
XS: XS6600
bogart

Post by bogart »

dude...hook em all up and see....should be easy enough to tell what is going on....just shut everything down when you make changes and I can't see you having issues at low amplitude till you get it all sorted out.

crossovers are pretty simple....follow the trace from each switch to see where the leads go and what they lead to....non polarized caps are filters and resistors limit frequency cut off and the slope there of....so if you have separate resistors that the toggle jumps between it is a switch that will alter the cut off for mids and tweet and or attenuation...one on each side is obviously phase for the tweet....

looks like there are polerized caps on there too....don't know why but it is a filter for some part....or all....should be easy to figure it out by following the boards tracings though....shouldn't really need the manual
bogart

Post by bogart »

That is, by the way, a stunning crossover....me likes.....
GX3

Post by GX3 »

I just put a couple of emails out to try and find you the manual......... keep your fingers crossed any one seen Greg K on lately ???
ZX950 X2 1 blk 1 wht
MS1KTA black NIC
MS1KTA white NIB
MS2250TA (x3) 1 in Blue 1 in Red
MS2125TA
MAC200 NIB
MS275 (x2) 1 NIB
MPS2240 NIB
Tantrum 500.2 (x2)
SA1.0 (x2)
ZPA 0.5 X2
ZPA 0.3 X3
Ti DD10 ............
GX3

Post by GX3 »

Just got an email back and he has the manual :) He said he will get back to me at some point Thursday
ZX950 X2 1 blk 1 wht
MS1KTA black NIC
MS1KTA white NIB
MS2250TA (x3) 1 in Blue 1 in Red
MS2125TA
MAC200 NIB
MS275 (x2) 1 NIB
MPS2240 NIB
Tantrum 500.2 (x2)
SA1.0 (x2)
ZPA 0.5 X2
ZPA 0.3 X3
Ti DD10 ............
dree_19

Post by dree_19 »

GX3 wrote:Just got an email back and he has the manual :) He said he will get back to me at some point Thursday
GREAT!! Thanks a bunch man.. i'll keep my fingers crossed :)
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

SCORE! I would make some copies of that thing, it might be the only survivor.....