opinions- orion xtr3 10" subs

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
CK1991

opinions- orion xtr3 10" subs

Post by CK1991 »

I came across a pair of orion xtr3 10" subs locally. I talked the guy down to $80 for 2 with a nice box (that I would end up selling). they are from the mid/ late 90s and have blue in the logo (I've seen ones online that had red in the logo but don't know the difference....I'm guessing single vs double voice coil? )

any opinions on these subs? I know there are better subs than these, but I'm not looking to compete, just have a good system with decent SQ in my daily driver, and I know orion gear from the 90s was usually decent.

here is a pic of what the woofer looks like taken from the internet. I dont have a pic of the particular ones i'm buying but they are in pretty nice shape.
Pioneer keh9595 + deh80prs, Phoenix Gold xs6600 PG M10p, and some randon speakers in a van
freshkryp69

Re: opinions- orion xtr3 10" subs

Post by freshkryp69 »

Great subs and get pretty loud to!
Square 1
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

I had a pair of red letter XTR 12's, and they pounded.
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
CK1991

Post by CK1991 »

glad to hear that guys. I'm guessing 80 for the pair is a good price too?
These are at a local pawn shop btw (which I usually avoid due to higher prices and the condition of their gear, and the attitude of the owners, but the owner was pretty cool, and the stuff wasnt super overpriced so i figured I could talk him down on the price.)
The guy had alot more subs, but these were some of the nicest looking ones. He also had an image dynamics 10" (might pull it and check the model number when I go back), an old kicker 10" form the early 90s with a bad surround (patched with black silicone), a bunch of newer halfway decent really common subs-JL, (rf) punch, alpine type r and s, memphis, xplode, etc but they cost more and some of them had cosmetic damage.
Pioneer keh9595 + deh80prs, Phoenix Gold xs6600 PG M10p, and some randon speakers in a van
LowandLoud

Post by LowandLoud »

Sounds good to me. I would still try and talk him down a bit but $80 for a pair in good shape seems reasonable. I would definitely look at that ID as well. But thats just me, I have recently admitted i have turned into a stereo hoarder.

LL
Always looking for:

Install accessories
LE amps
Processing
Unique pieces
CK1991

Post by CK1991 »

I don't think I'm getting him down any more. He seemed pretty firm at 100 a few days ago, but coming back and offering him 75 then talking to him for 20 minutes, and offering again, he decided to pull out the books, and he paid 80 for them, so he said he would sell them for that and no lower. I'll sell the enclosure and probably get 10 or 20 bucks for it....its a nice rugged enclosure.
I'll pull the ID from its enclosure and run the model number on monday. He'll probably want 50 or 60 for it. He said that alot of the subs he has are ones that people pawned and never picked up, and that he doesn't sell too many of them. If I buy them, I'll have to figure out what to do with my 3 hifonics 8 ohm olympian warriors (and moreso the giant enclosure that came with them that for either.a hatchback or and ext cab truck).
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

As I said, I had a pair of red letter 12's in the trunk of the first "nice" car I ever had, a POS Cavalier lol, back around 1997 or 1998 (Hey, it was a 94, and a 3 year old car is high cotton for a 19-20 year old). They were running sealed off of an MTX RT2400x, seeing about 600 rms. As I recall the subs were rated at 350 rms, and they had a sensitivity of like 94 or 95 db, so it didn't take a ton of power to get good SPL from them. I had them in the car a good five years, and I absolutely beat the piss out of them. They were very durable subs. I took them out when I sold the car, and they sat in my garage for 3 or 4 years until I sold them for about $100 enclosure and all.
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
CK1991

Post by CK1991 »

On the image dynamics sub, when I pull it, are there any models that would be good and any I should avoid? I'm guessing it's an older model. The image dynamics logo is black and it appeared to have a shallower cone and a wider dust cap(hard to tell as it had a metal grate/cover over it).

edit: I think its an ID v1 or an IDQ v1 (after looking around online it appears only v.1s got the black image dynamics logo on the cone.
CK1991

Post by CK1991 »

picked up the subs today. paid $80 out the door for the orions, and 35 out the door for the image dynamics IDQ10 (one of the old aqua basket V1s). the orions look new, and the image dynamics is in nice shape except for the few drops of white paint on it (not sure what to get it off with)
essque

Post by essque »

looks like a nice find for sure, what type of amp are you going to use and did you install them yet? I'd love to hear your thoughts. I found these on old school xtr pro 12d4's Ebay, they are supposed to get stupid loud and were designed by TC Sounds. pretty cool if u ask me!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151052445791?ss ... 1438.l2649

This Listing is for One Sub Woofer each bid. The ORION XTR PRO12d4 ( Double Voice coils 4ohm X 4ohm )( Woofer is Brand New come with while Styrofoam box ) 90 days warranty. This woofer were built before DEI own ORION by TC Sound in 1999.
The woofer has NO Logo sticker on the magnet and dust cap as seen in photo. I have only 1 Orion Logo dust cap left as you can see on the right corner. This woofer will come with plane black dust cap. Because of missing sticker logos that why I sell for this cheap. If the woofer with completed logo that will be $299 each as you all know how much they cost.

The Original ORION XTR Pro woofers were designed to play loud with distortion control.

The Structure, Bigger tinsel leads handle more power. The suspension Nomax system allows woofer move far with great control. The Thicker cone with Santoprene Surround lets the cone move in and out without going from side to side. The 2.5" Voice Coil with 4 layer oxygen free copper wire. The Power Motor Structure creates more bass with the same input power.
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

What's up with that basket? The cone and magnet look right to be an old XTR, but I have never seen an Orion sub ever that had a basket like that.