elite.1

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
thebroke1

elite.1

Post by thebroke1 »

So I know I'm gonna get crap for this, but who cares that's how you learn

So I was looking through the PG website at the elite series and I started wondering if the 3200 watt is rms or peak? Even though I'm sure they probably do closer to 4000
justrob

Re: elite.1

Post by justrob »

3200 is an RMS rating. These amps are highly underated.
Rob Derry
Research & Development
AAMP of America/Stinger/Phoenix Gold
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

all the elite amps are under rated up to 30% and that is the RMS ratings. They are NOT the entry line.....
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Bigred41291

Post by Bigred41291 »

My elite.1 puts out 4110w@ 1ohm. And 2501@ 2ohm
Bigred41291

Post by Bigred41291 »

So im kinda curious because i dont know the calculations myself but my system consist of an elite1 powrring a 13W7AE @ 3ohm. In a perfect situation with no voltage drop about how many watts do you think the amp.is putting out. The rms specs for my amp are listed above. I am assuming output is about 1600-1800w. Any input? Thanks.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I think ya should be fine. Worst case scenario get a 2nd sub make that amp get warm.....
Bigred41291

Post by Bigred41291 »

Thats the plan eventually but do you think my estimate is accurate? Damn you JL for making it a dual 1.5ohm vc lol
Bigred41291

Post by Bigred41291 »

And the sub handles the power fine as is the dustcap doesn't heat up. Even after an hour or two at full volume.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

yes that is the part of the sub that will generate heat, if it generates enough it will cause some problems. The elite amps are no joke and with the high RMS ratings on them can smoke a speaker if your not carefull. Keep an eye on the clip light to be sure its not in that range but also be carefull that after long term banging sessions that it needs some time too cool.
Bigred41291

Post by Bigred41291 »

I mounted my bass knob about 3" below my h.u so i can keep a close eye on the clipping indicator. I know these amps are f*@#ing rediculous i could easily power 2 more W7 without the amp breaking a sweat. I LOVE MY ELITE
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

ttocs wrote:The elite amps are no joke and with the high RMS ratings on them can smoke a speaker if your not carefull.
Reading this made me think of a comment the guy at pasmag made when he was reviewing a prototype of "The One", and it's certainly true for the Elite.1 also.
Be careful kids, this thing can hurt you if you’re not careful! And, if you haven’t figured it out yet, wiring your woofers with 16 gauge cable isn’t gonna cut it this time!
http://www.pasmag.com/car-audio/344-pho ... ld-the-one
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
thebroke1

Post by thebroke1 »

Thanks guys, I was just wondering because I switch out 2 alpine pdx m12 for my elite.1 to run my 2 elite 12ds and it just doesnt seem as punchy even though it's 4109 on the birth sheet, I had it installed by a authorized dealer and all, I guess my question is Wth is goin on
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

I'd look at the gain settings first, because that amp was seemingly built for those subs.
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

What box were the alpines in, and what box are the elites in(size wise).
thebroke1

Post by thebroke1 »

Idk what the box specs r at the moment I had to use a prefab, but the alpines were 1200 watts rmd each and the elite is 4200, I think the box is about 1.80 ft3 for each elite12 both vented and in their own chamber, I'm just confused because the only thing I changed was the amps in the whole setup, the gain of about alittle over half and the clip light pops on for maybe a second way after the rest of the stereo is beyond distortion, which I only did 2 test
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I thought you swapped subs as well as amps? The box is every bit as important to the speaker, maybe even more important then the amp is. A great speaker will never sound good in a box it isn't designed to work in no matter how much power you put to it. Let us know the internal volume and the port length/tuning freq and we can help you better.
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

The ports could be all wrong on the prefab too, but that sub likes about 2.25cu ported. I'd build yourself a new box about 4.5 cu. For the pair.

http://www.phoenixgold.com/images/manua ... Manual.pdf
thebroke1

Post by thebroke1 »

I'll check on the box specs, my last box got stolen which is y is used the prefab, no I only switched amps the alpine pdx m12 is there high line clas d stackable amp that I'd said 2 do 1200 rms @ 2 or 4 ohm, I just ment with the alpines it made me smile ear to ear and say yup that pg subs, the elite.1 doesnt seem 2 do the same and I know alpine power isn't near pg power, I was thinkin maybe it could b since I have 2 buy a new ho alternator since my old shop didn't use 1/0 2 wire it that maybe the amp was just chocking, it didn't even pop the old rockford 200 amp breaker I had on there before, so maybe it's just not happy with what it's gettin
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

if you have not upgraded the factory grounds/power wires(The big 3 upgrade) they you are choking the pg amp where the alpines might not have been effected.
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

The PG amp is choking from not enough power. I have an Elite.5, one third the power as yours, and I did the big 3 upgrade and added a 2nd battery. I just about think you need to take that amp out of your car now before you damage your car, or the amp, or both.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

You could run the risk of smoking the alt if it can't keep up, not sure if your really risking the amp by limiting its current though. That amp is just in a complete different arena then the pdx's. I mean those are big amps, for alpine but nexto the the .1 they are just cute by comparison.....

What kind of car is it in? I am about to replace my HO alt with a different one but this one is still good for 200 amps....
thebroke1

Post by thebroke1 »

Well thx for confiriming my thoughts on that , I plan on doing the big and an a new ho alternator in the next few days , as far as taking out the amp, I don't really have time 2 pull it out but imma turn everything down so nothing gets damaged or maybe just turn of the remote signal till I fix it.

Speaking of batteries what's the opinion on the stinger spp2250 battery in the back with an isolator
thebroke1

Post by thebroke1 »

Well this system is actually in a 98 grand am since the gf doesn't wanna ride around feeling like her head might pop in the main car, it's a car my brother gave me and I figured y not.
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

thebroke1 wrote:Well this system is actually in a 98 grand am since the gf doesn't wanna ride around feeling like her head might pop in the main car, it's a car my brother gave me and I figured y not.
You gonna have enough room for 4.5 cu in that trunk, along with a battery and the amp? I had a '94 Cavalier, and my Orion XTR 12's in about 2.5 sealed barely fit. There was plenty of physical space for the box, but you had to hold your mouth right to get it in and out of the trunk. The Grand Am trunk is very similar.

If you do get everything right, and make it fit, you'll want to dynamat the hell out of that trunk too. They'll hear your car vibrating from blocks away with that system lol.
thebroke1

Post by thebroke1 »

We had 2 take out the back seat and cur in2 the metal + bend it up 2 get the box in, like I said I'll check the box SPEC but the manual says 1.75 vented spl, I have the box faceing in2 the car @ the moment cause of how car the truck would lift when they faced back, the cops came by and asked me 2 stop when I had the 2 alpine amps in there from all the noise, I'm kinda excited 2 c what a real amp can do, hopeing this set up can beat my record from last year of 148.8 w/ 2 type r 12 and the 2 m12s, so..... Any1 think this can beat 2 solo x 18" on 2 planet audio 5000 in a suburban?