ZPA 0.3 bridged on 1 TI10d 4ohm

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
Jeroen

ZPA 0.3 bridged on 1 TI10d 4ohm

Post by Jeroen »

Hi there,

I have two ZPA's 0.3 and two TI10d 4 ohm subs. I would like to run each ZPA on one TI10d.

To get the most power do I have to connect the speaker terminals in parallel on the subs and then wire to the amps
in bridged mode? Then they are in 2 ohm load right?

regards,

Jeroen
capea4

Re: ZPA 0.3 bridged on 1 TI10d 4ohm

Post by capea4 »

That would be perfect,
Make sure the amps are in good working order though. Have a phoenix pro check them out for caps leaking and resister issues.
After that you'll need a ton of power for these, so make sure your power flow is laid out appropriately
Jeroen

Post by Jeroen »

Thanks capea4

I had them checked about 2 years ago. After that I havent't used them much.

In the specs of the ZPA's on the PG site I have read that if you snap some diodes on the amp that they deliver more power.
Is that wise to do?
Mr. Wild

Post by Mr. Wild »

If you snip some diodes off the amp then it will remain in high voltage mode even with a lower load than 4ohm bridged. If you do this then you run the risk of frying the amps power supply fets.
You might get away with 2ohms bridged however, if the sub is in a sealed box.
--
M50, MS275, MPS2500, ZX450, ZPA0.3
Jeroen

Post by Jeroen »

Ok ok thanks for the info...

I have build a vented box as PG recommendations.. So I will not do that.
zeropoint0.5

Post by zeropoint0.5 »

alot of things in the zpa are important.....

next to replacing the ps caps, upgrading the amp to a V2 version, and even replacing the irfz44 to a irfz48 or something else

in the powersupply, having the bias set back to good values......

the zpa will only switch into the high current mode if the amp is driven very hard and if there is a voltage drop....it really is

the voltage drop that will make the amp switch....cause of the current peak at that moment.......

put a 50A fuse just for the zpa0.3 to protect the ps supply from frying.......

you can do the "mod", but if something fails don't be surprized.....
vwdude

Post by vwdude »

You also need to have about 8v of signal going to the amps, so a line driver is a must, especially if you plan to split the sub signal to two amps.
A few of these and a few of those.
Creator of www.phoenixgoldregistry.com
hit me up to add your limited edition amps.
Jeroen

Post by Jeroen »

I have a PLD and a BassCube.

On the pcb of the zpa is printed rev B. Does that mean that it is a V2?
trickyricky

Post by trickyricky »

Jeroen wrote:I have a PLD and a BassCube.

On the pcb of the zpa is printed rev B. Does that mean that it is a V2?

Easy way to determine is one the amount of blades the fans have as well as the fan board's resistors.
Jeroen

Post by Jeroen »

They have 11 blades...

I have issues with 1 of the zpa's. Its working but, noisy over the speakers that I have connected
on the ZXti 400.2 when its powered on.
And there is a loud noise when turned on and off.

I am reading alot here on the zpa's about new caps. I have taken it apart
and I am cleaning it.

Need some advice on what to do next. I found the big caps (panasonic 4700uf 35v) with same dimensions.

I would like to restore it myself. A bit of electronic knowledge and experience I do have.
The other 1 that I have is inspected a few years ago by a Phoenix Gold dealer in my country.
zpa 0.3 pcb.jpg
zpa 0.3 pcb.jpg (185.08 KiB) Viewed 6585 times
I found a strange spot on the pcb also.
20140930_184840.jpg
Mr. Wild

Post by Mr. Wild »

You dont have to replace the 4700uF caps, but you HAVE TO replace the 2200uF caps! They are the leaky ones eating away the board. And eventually the amp will short out under the caps and make lots of smoke and fire.

Looks like the soldering is incomplete in the second picture. Theres probably some solder in the joints on underside of the board, otherwise the amps power supply would not work properly
--
M50, MS275, MPS2500, ZX450, ZPA0.3
trickyricky

Post by trickyricky »

The B+ filter caps are the 6 caps located right by the power terminals, they are 16v 2200uf. Replace those with 25v not 35v with a capacitance of 4700uf, I believe the ZPA's have a max height of 40mm at least the 0.5 does.

That solder ball on the fet is not going anywhere, while the soldering may look incomplete it actually isn't...its complete. Wave soldering machines are used, so only the bottom gets covered in solder and some of it gets to the top.

Your amp is clearly a V1 and needs to be upgraded to V2. As you can see there is heat damage on the fan board (vertical daughter board where fans connect). Don't forget to clean up all that old thermal paste and apply new paste. Clean up the heat sinks as well, that stuff is a PITA.

Is the noise your getting coming from the ZPA's outputs? Or the ZX400, kinda confused there. Is the ZPA causing the turn on/off pop/thump, you can determine by removing the RCA's then powering it up.
vwdude

Post by vwdude »

Just another note, the v2 amps will say ZPA03v2 or ZPA05v2, otherwise that v2 is missing. No big deal to convert to v2 if you have a list of what to do. If you don't have the list (not many people have it) then I don't suggest making the change. Replace the burned resistors with new ones but space them 1/2" from the board and replace the 11 blade fan with the same one (but new of course). Those fans are quieter than the v2 fans anyways.

To replace those resistors you will need to remove that daughter from the main board. It's a PItA but be careful not to lift any of the traces or you will have a fun time fixing that.

I would also check all gate resistors to verify that none are damaged. If they are you might need to replace some power supply FETs.

Trickyricky has some great pointers. He is one of the best at repairing these. We all use different techniques tho, and the replacement caps that I use are 8200 uf, 16 volt, Panasonic, FC series. They look very much like the originals but have a much higher capacitance.

Jeroen

Post by Jeroen »

Is the noise your getting coming from the ZPA's outputs? Or the ZX400, kinda confused there. Is the ZPA causing the turn on/off pop/thump, you can determine by removing the RCA's then powering it up.
Its coming from the ZPA outputs.
vwdude

Post by vwdude »

Left and right channels? Is it just the turn on/off pop or noise also during play? The pops are not abnormal. Are you running off an aftermarket head unit or factory? Most aftermarket head units turn amps on a few seconds after everything else to prevent this. I was getting a pop so I got a DD5 which gives you he ability to turn the amps on last, and you can control how much time passes before the amps turn on, same goes for turning off.
trickyricky

Post by trickyricky »

The remote can also be delayed by adding a diode and cap between the remote and ground terminal. PG has a tech sheet available showing exactly how to do so and give you a list of capacitance/time delay.
zeropoint0.5

Post by zeropoint0.5 »

Jeroen, you got a pm................check it out.
Jeroen

Post by Jeroen »

Thanks all for the replies. I am in contact with Zeropoint0.5 and I will let him take
a look at my amps. It will take a while before my new install will happen but, I will post
my install here on this forum.

Thanks again,

Jeroen