vs

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
thebroke1

vs

Post by thebroke1 »

So I'm curious on peoples actual opinions of the elite amps vs the other high end audio products like audison
Kirghiz

Re: vs

Post by Kirghiz »

You'll be hard pressed to find someone that actually has a lot of experience with both brands, and can actually make a valid opinion of both brands. That said, I tend to think it's really, really close between the two brands, and not so much between either of those two brands and everyone else in terms of amplifiers. Phoenix Gold and Audison are pretty much the big two as far as I'm concerned.
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
thebroke1

Post by thebroke1 »

I'm talking anything considered high quality car audio, audison was the only 1 I could remember off hand, but I mean for instance I remember reading in the elite sneek peek thread that some body said that he was looking in2 the elite.2 till he saw the specs and it didn't out do is old soundstream I believe, so anything like that where ppl could have formed an opinion. If that makes sense.
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

Yeah, but I wouldn't piss on even the mid 90's Soundstream, much less the current breed, so everything is a matter of opinion regardless.

People loved those old Soundstream Reference amps, but I heard too many stories about them blowing up in the area I was in at the time to ever consider them over Phoenix Gold and Precision Power, both of which I could also get locally.
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
thebroke1

Post by thebroke1 »

Imma lower the bar and go with how do the elites compare 2 the mainstream companies products or even the less mainstream like zed or Dd or dc audio or how bout sundown anything except shit like Pyle boss pyramid the stuff that would make u hang ur head in shame for having it in ur car now, like I know my elite.1 made my 2 alpine pdx m12 look like little fragile toys
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

thebroke1 wrote:Imma lower the bar and go with how do the elites compare 2 the mainstream companies products or even the less mainstream like zed or Dd or dc audio or how bout sundown anything except shit like Pyle boss pyramid the stuff that would make u hang ur head in shame for having it in ur car now, like I know my elite.1 made my 2 alpine pdx m12 look like little fragile toys
It's not even close imo.
thebroke1

Post by thebroke1 »

Also what's know about the dd z sub, the specs r funny but they got me curious and so does the sundown z v4 that the surround looks like an ass cushion got set on it that it's so freakin big
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

Phoenix Gold is known for awesome amps, not subs, though the old Ti Elite was pretty good. Generally I think the new Ti2 and Elite subs are better than what PG used to produce. That being said, DD, SSA, and Sundown cater to the SPL crowd mostly, so comparing Phoenix Gold's subs to those is kind of apples and oranges.

Comparing subwoofers is a very subjective business and is very much open to the listener's taste.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

x-max were a good sub as well, and then the cyclone was a great idea I still wish they could have worked to refine more. But really wiring and accesories is what I would have considered their bread/butter as well as great amps.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

One of the rides in the new builder's challenge uses a pair of cyclones along side the new gear. I would've thought they wouldn't allow it since the purpose of the challenge was to show off the new stuff. It'd be neat if they'd re-design the cyclone and make it out of some of the new materials that are available to make it a bit more durable and maintenance free.

http://www.phoenixgold.com/BuildersChal ... p?build=66
thebroke1

Post by thebroke1 »

While I agree that subs are a pure subjective field I still must admit that the way the elite12d doesn't even seem like it's moving while it outputs such pressure and it's ability 2 reproduce the music is something I've never seen before, I didnt know that you could actually feel the retraction of air during fast drum beats of songs like as I lay dyings nothing left, all of the other subs I have played with from alpine fosgate jl power bass pioneer premier pros all couldn't hold a candle 2 what that 1 woofer does o question if the 10w7 I heard was even this good because it sounded a bit floppy
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

thebroke1 wrote:While I agree that subs are a pure subjective field I still must admit that the way the elite12d doesn't even seem like it's moving while it outputs such pressure and it's ability 2 reproduce the music is something I've never seen before, I didnt know that you could actually feel the retraction of air during fast drum beats of songs like as I lay dyings nothing left, all of the other subs I have played with from alpine fosgate jl power bass pioneer premier pros all couldn't hold a candle 2 what that 1 woofer does o question if the 10w7 I heard was even this good because it sounded a bit floppy
Try this:
-Go on itunes and search for an artist named "Spag Heddy"
-Download two songs: "The Drop" and "Delirium"
-listen to those tracks in their entirety at your jamming level, while being mindful of voice coil smell.
-Then come back on here and tell us if those Elites are moving or not. 8),
thebroke1

Post by thebroke1 »

I become partial 2 yelawolf trunk muzik, imma look those up though, and trust me they move but still not to the level of the type r I had the elite seems 2 say is that all u got while the type r begged for its life
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

On "The Drop" the bass notes are long and constant, so you can literally stand a ruler up beside of the sub and measure the xmax. On my Ti2 10 a buddy of mine decided he was going to do just that, and admittedly I was probably pushing it too hard while showing off, but he swears it was a full inch of outward excursion. It should have only been about 3/4 on that sub. The Elite should have a full inch or more.

He also said that it was, and I quote, "damn impressive for just a 10".
thebroke1

Post by thebroke1 »

As soon as I get my iraggi in all have 2 do that, I figure I'm feeding them maybe 900 each, so I wanna make my beast happy b4 I start kickin it in the ass and saying perform, any other suggestions? Isn't always fun how ppl say thats way impressive for x size woofer, I 1 inch is pretty killer thought Im not really surprised those ti r beast 2
thebroke1

Post by thebroke1 »

I never got 2 see an Xmas but they seem 2 have peak sum interest so I may just look those up for a taste of some old school.
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

thebroke1 wrote:Isn't always fun how ppl say thats way impressive for x size woofer, I 1 inch is pretty killer thought Im not really surprised those ti r beast 2
It impressed me enough to go back to the audio shop that did the install and spend three hours there yesterday while they took measurements to see if 4 tens and an Elite.1 and Elite.4 would fit under my back seat. Turns out they will with an inch and half raise, and the subs will have about 2.25cu sealed, which is plenty with some polyfill, and the amps will be recessed into the sub enclosure running from one end of the truck to the other. When they called their PG rep to get pricing, the rep actually said they were "f'ng crazy" for wanting to do that in the cab of a truck. I just need to work out whether to go with one huge alternator, or run a dual alt set up, and I figure it'll take a month to find the days off to have it done.

I've always wanted to be called crazy by a representative of Phoenix Gold though. One of those things I can cross off my bucket list. LOL
thebroke1

Post by thebroke1 »

That is a pretty big accomplishment 2 have the pg rep call u crazy, I would like to see pictures of all that when u get it done if thats ok with u. The only 1 that sounds crazier then that for pg is the team Australia with sumthin like 24 subs , I think those r ti also I can't ever find what they r
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

thebroke1 wrote:That is a pretty big accomplishment 2 have the pg rep call u crazy, I would like to see pictures of all that when u get it done if thats ok with u. The only 1 that sounds crazier then that for pg is the team Australia with sumthin like 24 subs , I think those r ti also I can't ever find what they r
There are crazier builds than that, but I am fairly confident that you won't find a pickup truck of any kind, anywhere, that has 4 10" subs and 2400 watts driving them from some of the best amplifiers in the world, and still has a backseat that can carry passengers without hitting their heads on the roof. Most of the time people raise the seat so much it isn't usable or remove it entirely for big installs like that.

It's actually easy to do with the new Ti amps since they're so small, but not with the big Elite amps. I was using 3d modelling software to design the install, and came up just short, but they rearranged the furniture a little yesterday and figured out how to do it. If they can pull it off I'll be making a thread with pictures, making videos, and giving credit to the company that did it. It'll be a feather in their cap for sure, and I'll make sure everyone knows who did it.

They want to do it as much as I want them to. Lol
thebroke1

Post by thebroke1 »

The only 1 I can think of that's crazier is the 1 that's like an sub with like a 6th order and it's like 14000 watts all fosgate gear except the subs r btls I think, there r a few videos around on that including 1 where he has 2 tape sum eggs in a Tupperware container so the pressure won't rip it open and throw egg everywhere
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

Well, 4 tens sealed on 2400 watts won't break any records by any stretch, but it'll get loud enough that I don't have to strain anything to get it where I want it, and sound good doing it. I seriously doubt it will be something that is heard from a block away. Sometimes the story is more about what you put the system in and what you gave up to do it, than what the system actually is. The "truck junkies" will love it, but to someone in an escalade with 15's it'll be puny.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

4 10's with good power to them inside of a trucks space will make for some pretty good spl numbers imo.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

ttocs wrote:4 10's with good power to them inside of a trucks space will make for some pretty good spl numbers imo.
I figure low 140's is all it'll do wide open being that the subs'll be sealed, but that's plenty. I very seriously doubt it it'll approach 150. What I want is for it to do 130ish with good SQ without straining any of the gear, and it ought to do that. Right now with a single 10" ported off the Elite.5 it'll do about 130 and sound alright doing it, but it's driving the single sub too hard, and the voice coil smells a bit on some tracks. I fear I'll blow it, hence the upgrade.
thebroke1

Post by thebroke1 »

I'm guessing ur useing dual 4 subs then since u gotta run it @ 2, so imma ask anyway why not dual 2 ohm then u can run 1 ohm?
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

thebroke1 wrote:I'm guessing ur useing dual 4 subs then since u gotta run it @ 2, so imma ask anyway why not dual 2 ohm then u can run 1 ohm?
The birth certificate on your Elite.1 says 4,100 some watts at 1 ohm. What's it say for 2 ohm? 2700 or 2800?