What is a good mainstream DSP unit?

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

What is a good mainstream DSP unit?

Post by Eric D »

I noticed Precision Power has the DSP-88R, and Soundstream has the Harmony. Both of these look to be the same guts.

Does anyone have any experience with either of them, or know of better units in a similar price range?

Since these are apparently just the same unit with a custom chassis for it, I wonder what the potential is for PG to market one of their own versions as well?
Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...
vwdude

Re: What is a good mainstream DSP unit?

Post by vwdude »

Rumor has it that those units are actually miniDSP. In case you aren't familiar, miniDSP is a kind of do-it-yourself unit. You buy the boards a-la-carte and you have to come up with a case and everything. People say that the PPI and SS units are just that board with unique software and a case.

I have the JBL MS-8 and I have to say that it's great at what it's meant to do but it's not for me. I don't like the sound effect caused by time ailment. It messes with phase and when you do that with mids and highs you can hear the difference.
A few of these and a few of those.
Creator of www.phoenixgoldregistry.com
hit me up to add your limited edition amps.
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

Can't you just turn off the time alignment?
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
vwdude

Post by vwdude »

Well I can, but I'm not too fond of how the ms8 does everything. Even with all processing off it seems to suppress the Midbass and give me a low sound stage. I remember how powerful my Midbass was before the ms8 and even with all processing off it's much weaker. This is why I'm removing the ms8 and using all old school PG processing from eq to crossover to line driver. I expect it will sound much closer to what I am looking for.
Drock

Post by Drock »

I also have the ms8, I like it a lot, but it does knock the mid bass down some. I think it is mostly due in fact that the ms8 knocks the volt down to max 2.2. So for instance my h/u is 4v outputs, so there would be a very noticeable difference.
Also note though that the ms8 crossover setting can be adjusted to compensate for the mid bass during setup. But you need to know your desired points before doing so. Also I have found that when setting the initial volume on the ms8 is crucial, if it's not set right it makes a big difference.

I also have the bit one that I just installed, I like it better in a sense that it has much more user controls. I can adjust any Chanel at any time using my computer. The down side is that many features are not automatic like time alignment in the ms8. The bit one is completely user setup.

Also to note is the ms8 strictly only uses front inputs, so you have to use the ms8 controller for feature adjustments, and changes at the h/u will affect the processor.

The bit one allows for programming Chanel inputs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

what are you wanting out of it? The digital eq/dsp/fix everything has always sounded nice and easy in theory but the ones I have played with always seemed to have something about them that would have been a deal breaker if I had known. I have been using alpines audisey system and its nice for the initial reading and time alignment but then you are unable to make any adjustments short of bass/treble after that. I get around that with a manual eq but still why not be able to adjust the eq settings at the least? The ms8 I have heard about the low output, and from a few others anything from just enough of a noise problem to be a pia or some other little problem that is just a pia.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
vwdude

Post by vwdude »

I forgot about the other few ms8 PITAs.
1) it has an automatic 8 ms delay when tuning is turned on. This makes your built in Bluetooth phone adaptor useless (at least in my car) and since I have my rears still connected to my factory radio for when I have the baby in my car, I can't use them because it has an echo effect. Also my factory nav sounds evil because of the echo.

2) you only can set the crossover settings at setup, no changing on the fly. This sucks because in order to find your optimal settings you to completely reconfigure it. Reconfiguring means you need to have your headphones win you and connected and you need to go through all steps. It's a pain to do while on the road (and I'm too impatient to sit there all day and play with it.)

I did update e software to allow me to defeat the processing when a call comes in. Software was near impossible to find. Now I just leave processing off because I prefer that sound, so I now have an overpriced line level converter.
zeropoint0.5

Post by zeropoint0.5 »

in some modern cars, with a factory headunit, witch is not replacable anymore,

it seems "de equilisation" is a must......

i heard good things about the audison bit ten for this......

it has automatique de equilisation build in......

from the output rca's there you can go to you're oldskool equipment........

http://www.audison.eu/index.php?page=product&id=42

http://www.audison.eu/index.php?page=product&id=41
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

My goal here is to replace a passive crossover with an active one. The issue is the passive crossover has 4th order slope on the tweeter, and 2nd order slope on the midrange. I need an electronic crossover which has this ability, and can do asymmetrical points as well.

Any EQ built in is also great, as I can do final tweaking with the EQ. This passive crossover also has a notch filter, and I can duplicate that with an EQ.
Drock

Post by Drock »

Both the ms8 and bit one have 31 band eq's built in.
I think the bit one might fit your needs..

Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

I think the bit one would be great, but it is far too costly for me.
Drock

Post by Drock »

I might be able to get another one, pm me with a budget and I'll see if I can get one if your interested.
I think I can get the Mosoni processor as well.

J.Wright

Post by J.Wright »

I highly suggest the Helix DSP
System in progress...
brenzbmr@sb
Booty Connoisseur

Post by brenzbmr@sb »

I just got done installing a masconi 6to8. im will say this, its a badd ass piece and it is so upgradable. custom buildable for your needs. the droid app won me over. sorry apple fan boys!
http://www.mosconi-america.com/dsp.html

if you are interested in the piece let me know, my partner is a masconi expert.

and we can sell you the piece if u need it.
You may have subs in your car........but my doors sound better!
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

Although I like the features and the seemingly great overall quality with some of these units, I do feel they are kind of obscure.

It is one thing to build a solid amp and have it last for decades of use, but an amp is simple and either works or it does not.

In the case of these DSPs, I would want the best (hopefully) long term support. Since they run software, regular updates of the firmware, and the programming software would be a plus. As would updates which may add additional features.

Remember the TiDEQx? I think that never really was updated, had a bunch of bugs, and does the software to program it even work on a modern computer?
vladthebad

Post by vladthebad »

Maybe minidsp8x8 and add the crossover section?

http://www.minidsp.com/images/documents ... lug-in.pdf

That's the link to the crossover plugin software. Gives you 8 analog inputs, 2 digital inputs if you add the digital module, and 8+2 outputs with bandpass filters, delays, etc.

It looks like it should do about anything you want, but it's not exactly super cheap. A 2x4 might work if your just doing two way setup.
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

I don't think the minidsp is off the table. I am a DIY kind of guy, so it might be a good solution for me with the endless tweaking I typically desire.
audiophyle_247

Post by audiophyle_247 »

The previous generation of DSP from Soundstream was a joint effort that the MiniDSP guys worked on with them.
The recent DSP offerings from SS & PPI are their own systems which grew from the previous model.
I have been looking at them for a while, but I keep going back to wanting the MiniDSP offerings.

They are "DIY" but also offer complete packages with enclosures, not just a circuit board.
There is a lot of support for the miniDSP in their forum and on their website.
The biggest factor I like about the miniDSP is that it's 100% manual, no auto tune garbage or required "work arounds" to get it to do what you want it to do. You go through each & every setting in their program and set it to exactly what you want it to do, and can be modified at anytime. (with a computer, which is a down side)