A conundrum?

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
spragmatic

A conundrum?

Post by spragmatic »

Ok.... Finally gonna start the install in my truck. All Phoenix Gold it will be. Wiring and such will be Stinger. Please see my signature below for what I have to choose from. As you can tell I'm a big XS fan. That being said..... Gonna be using the SL10d2's in a sealed box behind the rear seat in my crew cab 06 GMC Sierra. Not quite sure on which amp/amps to run for best all around performance and clarity? What set-up would you run? Would like some input on this especially from you XS Heads. :-) Will be utilizing a BassCube as well for the subs. As for the front and rear doors will be using the ELITE.65cs's. Another question as how to power them? Was thinking of using the XS4600 for these? And as many of you know the space under the rear seat in these trucks isn't the biggest so that's another concern with running a slew of amps. Want everything to be hidden and stock looking to my best ability. I appreciate the feedback! Thanks!

Greg

Won't be using the TI1500.1. No matchy.
DEH-80PRS
(2) XS2300
(1) XS2500
(2) XS4300
(1) XS4600
(1) XS6600 - White
(2) XS Links
(2) BassCubes - Black
(2) ZBB12 - Black
(1) TDB34 - Black
(1) DD5 - Black
(2) PG Elite.65cs Component Sets
(2) PG SL10d2 Subs
(1) TI1500.1
Kirghiz

Re: A conundrum?

Post by Kirghiz »

I have two sets of the Elite.65's. I had them running off of 100x4 from an Elite.5 for about 3 months, and they sounded alright. Then I swapped the amp out for an Elite.4/Elite.1 combo, and that increase from 100 to 150 watts per channel really woke them up. The XS4600 is probably your best option amongst what you have, and if it's very underrated it'll be fine, but the Elite.65's can take 200 watts rms (The Elite.4 amp is very underrated too), and they really like that extra power. That isn't to say that the XS4600 can't run them, but they sound MUCH better with more power. I'd want at least 100 rms going to them myself. If you look at the amps Phoenix Gold is making now, the higher end 4 channels are all 100 watts+ per channel, and the Elite.65's were made for that kind of power.

As for the subs, anything that would send a clean 500 watts plus to them would be fine. Either the pair of XS2300's or the single XS2500 would work. I'd probably go with the latter myself. If you custom build the sub enclosure, you can easily flush mount the two amps into the sub enclosure, and down fire the subs. You can probably up fire them too, but you'd have to look at the dimensions of the amps. (I have a crew cab too, been there done that).
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
spragmatic

Post by spragmatic »

Thanks for the input! Exactly what I was thinking as far as the components on the XS4600 and the subs on the XS2500. Believe me when I say I would like to just say screw it and get all new Elite amps, but as you know it's a dent in the cash stash. :-)
DEH-80PRS
(2) XS2300
(1) XS2500
(2) XS4300
(1) XS4600
(1) XS6600 - White
(2) XS Links
(2) BassCubes - Black
(2) ZBB12 - Black
(1) TDB34 - Black
(1) DD5 - Black
(2) PG SL10d2 Subs
(1) TI1500.1
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

I guess you already have those shallow mount subs, but if you have as much space between the floor and the bottom of the seat as I do, you can do a pair of Ti2 or R3 subs sealed under the seat firing up. You might have to take the rubber boot off the magnet to shave off some depth from the Ti2's, but the R3's will definitely fit, and either would give you better performance than the shallow mounts. Not to knock the shallow mounts necessarily, but they are really a last resort option when you can't fit anything else, and I strongly believe that you can.

The Ti2's have a GREAT sound to them in a sealed enclosure too.
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
spragmatic

Post by spragmatic »

Yeah I'm gonna stick to the shallow subs as to add all my amps and such beneath the rear seat. I'll have to loose a little of the heavy bass for that I know, but it's how I'm gonna do the layout. Done the wall amp rack many times and want to try something new. I'll do a write up with pics once I get started.
DEH-80PRS
(2) XS2300
(1) XS2500
(2) XS4300
(1) XS4600
(1) XS6600 - White
(2) XS Links
(2) BassCubes - Black
(2) ZBB12 - Black
(1) TDB34 - Black
(1) DD5 - Black
(2) PG SL10d2 Subs
(1) TI1500.1
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

Yeah, I hear ya. There is a common misconception though about shallow mount subs, and that is that they require less enclosure space than "normal" subs. That isn't true. If you look at the manual for the SL10D4, the recommended sealed enclosures are 0.3 for SPL, 0.5 for normal, and 0.8 for SQ. The Ti210D4 is 0.3, 0.45, and 0.6 for SQ, and the R310d4 is 0.3, 0.6, and 0.8 for SQ. Those all include the woofer's displacement. The ONLY difference between shallow and normal subs as far as enclosures go, is the motor depth. No matter which sub you use you'll be occupying 1.0-1.6 cubic feet of space for the sub enclosure if you go with a pair. In reality, the R3's have a 5" mounting depth which is only 1.4" more than the shallow subs. If you have 7.5" from floor to the bottom of your seat, you can fit the R3's using 3/4 MDF and have an inch behind the subs. I had 9" at the front of the seat and 5.5" at the back in my truck (52" wide and 17" deep too fwiw).

Before I messed around and raised the seat, I had a 23" x 10.5" x 2.6" Elite.5 amp and a Ti2 10" firing up in 1.75cu ported. The two amps you're talking about using aren't much bigger than that one amp I had. If you put your two amps at the back side of the enclosure, dead center over the transmission hump, I'll just about promise that you could get a pair of normal 10's sealed on the front side of the enclosure, one on each far side of the enclosure by the vehicle doors, and I'm pretty sure you'll be able to choose whether to fire up or down. Worst case scenario you are forced to fire down. Pretty much no matter if you use normal or shallow subs, if everything is going under the seat, that's how it'll be. That or both subs will be on one side and all the amps/crossovers/processors/etc. will be on the other side. There aren't a lot of possibilities under a truck seat.

My point is that shallow mount subs most likely aren't going to save you any space. Unless you physically can't fit a sub with a 5" depth into the space you have, the shallow subs don't help. If you can work a 6" depth, the Ti2's sound fantastic at 0.6cu. and that will save you a little space.
spragmatic

Post by spragmatic »

Thanks again for the detailed info! You have for sure been through this before. :-) Now I'm nervous to say that I bought one of the MTX Thunderform enclosures. (Actually had it for quite sometime) It fits behind the seat and has 1.64 cu ft. Should be fine for both SL10d2's? I'll probably get s#@t for this, but once I received it looks very solid and very well built for the cost. Also matches the interior perfect. Which is the whole goal with this so called stealth system I'm wanting. :-) So I have all that room under the seat for everything else. I've got this idea of having amps, battery, distro's, cube, etc. mounted on individual pods of sorts with all wiring sleeved. I guess I just need to get all the pieces out and start mocking up layout. Hope it all goes from brain to reality smooth! :shock:
DEH-80PRS
(2) XS2300
(1) XS2500
(2) XS4300
(1) XS4600
(1) XS6600 - White
(2) XS Links
(2) BassCubes - Black
(2) ZBB12 - Black
(1) TDB34 - Black
(1) DD5 - Black
(2) PG SL10d2 Subs
(1) TI1500.1
Drock

Post by Drock »

That sounds nice. Post pic as you go.
I'm hoping to get back to my install in a week or so. Should be big changes.
spragmatic

Post by spragmatic »

Will do.
DEH-80PRS
(2) XS2300
(1) XS2500
(2) XS4300
(1) XS4600
(1) XS6600 - White
(2) XS Links
(2) BassCubes - Black
(2) ZBB12 - Black
(1) TDB34 - Black
(1) DD5 - Black
(2) PG SL10d2 Subs
(1) TI1500.1
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

If the measurements are correct for the subs, I have no issue with a prefab enclosure. I'd still go with R3's in that box though Lol.Sounds like you'll have a lot of space to pretty up the electronics under the seat, which should be pretty sweet.
spragmatic

Post by spragmatic »

Kirghiz wrote:If the measurements are correct for the subs, I have no issue with a prefab enclosure. I'd still go with R3's in that box though Lol.Sounds like you'll have a lot of space to pretty up the electronics under the seat, which should be pretty sweet.
I'll keep you posted on the process and the sound. Gettin' excited now! :D
DEH-80PRS
(2) XS2300
(1) XS2500
(2) XS4300
(1) XS4600
(1) XS6600 - White
(2) XS Links
(2) BassCubes - Black
(2) ZBB12 - Black
(1) TDB34 - Black
(1) DD5 - Black