should the elite amp have a new/differnt look?

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
kg1961
Got wood?

should the elite amp have a new/differnt look?

Post by kg1961 »

I just got 2 elite .2. i love the look of this thing and man are they big and heavy. But it is shaped, colored and styled after all there other lines. Do you think it should look a little difernt than the cheap lines? i know when you look at other brand there top line don't match there cheaper line they want them to look like a elite item something differnt ect.
even back in the day the oem ms2250 was a differnt color than all the white and grey ms amps? or a frank or son of were kinda elite with a differnt size and color ?

what are peoples thoughts?
Last edited by kg1961 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Re: should the elite amp have a new look?

Post by ttocs »

I wish they had etched the plexi or something special like that myself.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
dvnt88

Post by dvnt88 »

^^^^ x2, would've looked cool to have the old or new PG script etched into the plexi for that custom look.
Audison Bit Ten
Hertz HSK163's (x2)
Hertz HX250 subs (x2)
Hertz HDP1
Hertz HDP4
PG Tantrum BassCUBE
XS Power D4900
Misc. PG Install Goodies

"Old-Skool TI-Whore"
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

Tempted to still do it... Where is Jacob and his cool toys when we need him?
LowandLoud

Re: should the elite amp have a new/differnt look?

Post by LowandLoud »

I think that absolutely their flagship line should be instantly distinguishable from the rest of the offerings. An etched plexi would be a nice touch as well.

LL
Always looking for:

Install accessories
LE amps
Processing
Unique pieces
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

How many would be interested in some kind of special plexi either from a decal to etching/machining? Wonder if we could just do straight glass....
kg1961
Got wood?

Post by kg1961 »

pm me i would concider 2 plexi one not glass it would break in shipping
2020 honda accord sport
PhuckinGood

Post by PhuckinGood »

That is what I said straight away, great amps but it needs to have that wow factor, that had use drooling over the counter at our local installers in the 90s.

Its the Elite line that needs to make a reputation, and in my opinion its falling short, but lets not all forget how great it is to have them back and you never know what may happen next.

I have purchased a few new bits but the Elite is not special enough to temp me ...... yet.
Alpine CDA-9886R
PG ZX250v1
PG ZX350v2
PG ZX450v1
PG Elite .65cs
PG QX 5.25
PG Ti12 sub x2
dvnt88

Post by dvnt88 »

ttocs wrote:How many would be interested in some kind of special plexi either from a decal to etching/machining? Wonder if we could just do straight glass....

Count me in if it's etched or machined, wanna stay away from the stickers aspect ...to me it looks cheap, just my .02c.
Audison Bit Ten
Hertz HSK163's (x2)
Hertz HX250 subs (x2)
Hertz HDP1
Hertz HDP4
PG Tantrum BassCUBE
XS Power D4900
Misc. PG Install Goodies

"Old-Skool TI-Whore"
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

On the easy side I had the idea of just putting a frosted decal saying pg or something inside of the amp to the back of the glass as it would catch the led light and should light up inside for a neat effect. On the hard side the idea of getting tempered/safety glass with something etched into it to light up in a similar manor seems like a classier but heavier way too go.
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

What I'd like to see would be the tinted glass like is on it, but etch the reverse side with the Phoenix. Put gold LEDs in there instead of the blue, and when it powers on the bird would light up seemingly out of nowhere. I'd be in for two of those.

I actually think the stock glass is lexan, not acrylic, for whatever that's worth. I wiped one of mine with a dry paper towel to get some dust off of it, applying little to no pressure, and the paper towel put a tiny scratch on the glass. Lexan scratches much easier than acrylic. I now keep a pack of Swiffer refills in my console for wiping the amps off with.
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I would rather see the board/componants then the tint myself.... Still wonder what a clear piece with some etched graphics would look like myself. Still for the choice of materials as heavy as they are already I think a real piece of glass would just polish it off nicely. it would also make it easier to etch since we can do it chemically with decals....
kg1961
Got wood?

Post by kg1961 »

great idea ttocs. the same plexi material would be best for me with shipping and all. I had some focal plexi machined and it was frosted in the words focal and etched into the plexi about 3mm so im sure it can be done and look great.
I agree just a clear plexi with a sticker would not look good.
2020 honda accord sport
justrob

Post by justrob »

For those of you thinking about replacing the plexi in the Elite amps this will be helpful.
Attachments
acryl ELITE.jpg
Rob Derry
Research & Development
AAMP of America/Stinger/Phoenix Gold
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

Rob,
How hard would it be for you guys to make different glasses for the Elites, and other amp lines for that matter, that you all could sell separately? I'd just as soon buy them from Phoenix Gold as have them custom made.
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

A frosted decal on the bottom of the plexi would give the same effect, probably 1/4 the cost and with it on the bottom you would not be able too tell between having actually etched. It would also make it easy too add other details/graphics too it such as a black boarder around it to give it a shadow look, other colors. Shit I have still have my old school "team PG member" decals I have been wondering what too do with. Might be cool to copy them down to the right size and mix the old/new again on the inside of the plexi.
kg1961
Got wood?

Post by kg1961 »

my two elite will not be seen :( unless i do a fake floor and add plexi window above the amps the sticker could work for that.
I was just a little shocked after getting them out of the box/bag and looking online (ebay) that they look so so much like the lower line :idiot: :violin: :-?
We don't get any of pg's new gear in store here now in calgary that hetrz audio took the spot at our local store
2020 honda accord sport
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I think just a different piece of glass/plexi with a simple design showing off the componants would really set it off. Anyone know how to take the plexi out?
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

ttocs wrote:A frosted decal on the bottom of the plexi would give the same effect, probably 1/4 the cost and with it on the bottom you would not be able too tell between having actually etched.
I'm not sure if it's a decal or they used another application method, but the underside of the glass on my sub box is a white frosting. There is an LED strip around the edge of the glass, lighting the glass itself, and there are lights in the box, but it would kind of give an idea what frosting would do.
Sub Glass.jpg
I will say though that it doesn't look near as good with just the lights in the box, and not the lights on the glass not burning. The original plan was to put the two sets of lights on separate switches, but after I saw the effect I had them put on the same switch because I would never use either independently. Without the lighting it just looks like dull white lettering, which is alright, but nothing fancy.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

That could be done with the decal on the bottom or by actually etching it and you would not be able too tell. Unfortunatly with the leds in the middle though I am not sure how the edge lighting would look really.

I almost think I would want a more traditional looking plexi piece either with the gold decal or even possibly like the old dealer plexi's that listed the componants on it.
kg1961
Got wood?

Post by kg1961 »

i wish my plexi looked like that. very nice
2020 honda accord sport
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

ttocs wrote:Unfortunatly with the leds in the middle though I am not sure how the edge lighting would look really.
We're it me, I'd take the triangle LED's in the middle out and use that circuit to power the new lighting that would go in. I haven't checked to see how viable that would be to do though.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I would probably just tap the remote turn on for power and would like too add leds under the glass as well. Start with a clear piece and paint the edges black to hide the leds and maybe just something simple like ELITE .X in one corner and then maybe enlarge the easter eggs that are on the board to glow as well like on the .5 "FIVE CHANNELS OF FUNK" on the corner opposite the elite. If we are doing plexi it would be cool too add one more element to the display and go with both etching it, as well as possibly cutting out some kind of hole/design in the middle where the leds are. Could cut the oval out and float some surfboards in the middle?
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

http://www.phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=22601

Just think how cool it would look with tinted glass, and when it powered up, the bird lit up blue out of nowhere, kinda like PhuckinGood's image from this thread......

LOL That's what I want. I've been trying like hell to incorporate the bird into my install and it hasn't made it in yet. I'm contemplating making an LED sign for the back window with the bird on it if all else fails. 8)
MW3
Morgan @ PG

Post by MW3 »

Guys,

All your input is appreciated. But I think you can tell just by replies here its impossible to come to a consensus on what the finish should be to make everyone happy.

For example, put a bunch of lights on the inside, then half the guys will say it looks like a flea market amp. The other half will like it.

We went with a clean, classy look. Then if you want to modify or tweak the plexi to your personal taste thats up to you.

Using the file Rob posted, you can make your own plexi.
Morgan West
Phoenix Gold Product Manager