Been a while, last PG item was a ZX600Ti

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
DaTT

Been a while, last PG item was a ZX600Ti

Post by DaTT »

Had no idea they were making a comeback. I have also been out of the car audio scene for quite some time. I used to run strictly Phoenix Gold in all my set ups though.

PG ZX 600Ti x 1
PG XS4500 x 1
PG XS 12" DVC x 4
PG Bass Cube
PG 1.2 Farad Cap

Nice to see them back. By the way, when the ZX 600Ti was released, I blew up 4 of them and actually had a PG Rep come down to talk to me and look over my install to make sure everything was in check. It was and the ZX 600Ti was re designed because of me....and I got the first one hand delivered. Never blew up again. I miss those days, I wish I didn't unload all my equipment for next to nothing. May have to get back into it all....see what the wife says lol
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Re: Been a while, last PG item was a ZX600Ti

Post by Bfowler »

why was it blowing up?

the xs subs were some of my all time favorites!
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
DaTT

Re: Been a while, last PG item was a ZX600Ti

Post by DaTT »

Bfowler wrote:why was it blowing up?

the xs subs were some of my all time favorites!
The thermistor that attached to the heat sink to prevent the amp from overheating kept breaking free thus putting it into overload protection and shutting it down. I guess it wasn't blowing up per se, but it was being rendered useless.

The way I had it was this; picture a "V" shaped box. 2 subs on either side facing each other. The 2 subs furthest back mounted normally, the 2 subs mounted towards the front of the box mounted with the magnets on the outside of the box, and the amp was mounted in the box between the subs. I assume the bass was rattling the thermistor free. IIRC I was somewhere around 143db.

Yeah, I blew several XS subs up in my day, originally in a bandpass box with an air leak that I never found so I built the box mentioned above (sealed). Blew the baskets clean in half, was quite a sight.

I always had my eyes on the Cyclone subs, but could never afford them.