Elite 12D Question for Morgan

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
Kirghiz

Elite 12D Question for Morgan

Post by Kirghiz »

I'm trying to decide if I want to go with a pair of dual 4 or dual 2 ohm Elite 12's to run off my Elite.1 In a ported enclosure. If you go by the rating of the amp it should be a perfect match at a 1 ohm load, but reality is the amp makes 4100+ watts at 1 ohm. On the other hand the amp makes 2800 watts at 14.4 Volts at two ohm, but with my electrical system I can feed it 15.0 Volts all day long, so it's probably closer to 3000 watts.

Given that the THD on the amp nearly quadruples going from 2 ohm to 1 ohm, seems like that would offset any SQ benefit from adding more power, and it won't add much if any SPL, is there any point in me considering a pair of dual 4's over dual 2's?
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
Drock

Re: Elite 12D Question for Morgan

Post by Drock »

X2 :)
I have two .1's and have been wondering if I should use both amps at 2 ohm or just one at 1 ohm.
Kirghiz

Re: Elite 12D Question for Morgan

Post by Kirghiz »

Drock wrote:X2 :)
I have two .1's and have been wondering if I should use both amps at 2 ohm or just one at 1 ohm.
That's kind of a no brainer if the subs can take 5600 watts. Two amps at 2 ohms will make nearly 50% more power, draw only about 50 more amps, and do it at roughly 1/4 the Thd of a single amp at 1 ohm. On paper at least. You could also strap them and run them at 4 ohm load and have the same result, but the gain controls would be tied, and balanced.

If I had two I wouldn't even consider a 1 Ohm load.
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.