Need opinions on gear for new install

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
oldschool

Need opinions on gear for new install

Post by oldschool »

Hello all, Been lurking around for awhile. Decided to join, and pick the brains of you phriendly folk.

I had a PG ms275 in my first car and loved it!!! Was lucky to have a bunch of audiophile friends that steered me in the right direction, early in my audio adventures.

So now I have a older mits eclipse I plan on making a permanent 2 seater and using as an EDD. I had to redo the interior and decided on doing a budget SQ build in it. Trying to keep it as stock looking/low profile as possible for security(how I lost the ms275:(. This will be my first install in many years....and hoping to get it right the first time!

I have the interior out and sound deadening it. Started by trying out a product called spraydead. But am planning on adding roadkill butyl, and a buffering layer, on much of the car. MLV on the doors. I may want to do some fiberglass door panels but if I can fit the components without that, then Im leaving it stock.

So far I have a ID idq 12" sub going in a custom sealed box, I plan on making the box fit where the back of the backseats used to be, sort of a dividing wall between the to spaces. Trying to save as much trunk space as possible. I'm putting in a "floor" where the backseats were, making for a second"trunk"space. I'm hoping I will be able to fit the amps under this "floor"? I may have to change this plan for either air flow or space for amps.

I have an near mint m44 I got off of CL. Paid 215 for it, dunno if that was to much? Caps leaked and I removed them before putting any power to it. Still figuring out if I can fit the 8600mf instead of the stock 5600mf caps?

I'm thinking of getting a m100 for the sub. Keeping it all PG, matching and pretty. A set of hertz dieci components up front and hertz coaxial in the rear, run off the m44.

For the head unit, Im torn between the pioneer prs80 or the Pioneer AVH-X7800BT. The pros on the prs80 are SQ, tons of tweaking ability although I probably wont be using much of its features. Cons are the interface can be wonky and tough to navigate. Pros on the 7800 are navi, touchscreen, easy interface. Cons, probably doesnt sound as good as the prs80 and is slightly more expensive. Trying to keep the total build under 1k.

Most of my library is in FLAC and I plan on adding a decent DAP for using on the computer, car, on the go. Question, if I use the DAPs DAC in the car, does this bypass the head units DAC? As both HU have DACs.

I also will be adding a second battery and doing the big 3 upgrade. Whats a good OFC true gauge wire these days? Also need advice on some good rca's.

What do you guys think of this plan? Will be adding some pics of the progress once I figure out how to post pics.

Cheers!!
kg1961
Got wood?

Re: Need opinions on gear for new install

Post by kg1961 »

Sounds like you need fronts I have a set of old school kicker f6.5 4ohm mid bass subs r4 mids tweeter and experience I would do cheap 2ohm off the m25 or 4 channel off the m44 would be great lmk
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
oldschool

Post by oldschool »

Im going with hertz dieci 6.5 components up front. Never a big fan of kicker.

You think I should use the m44 for just the fronts? I was wondering what the true output of the m44 was? Thinking I could run the front mid and tweets in series off the m44 and still have the rear channel for coaxials? Or is this to optimistic?

I dont have an m25, was looking at getting an m100 for the sub. Or should I go with m44 for fronts, m25 for rear, m100 for sub? Really dont want to run 3 amps for lack of space, but may be able to squeeze them in somewhere.
knightrider358

Post by knightrider358 »

use the m44 bridged for ur front comps, hu rear speaker outs for rear fill, and what decent powered amp for sub

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Current 1 of 2 current installs

HU-Alpine IVA-D310
DSP-PXA-H701
Comps-JL ZR 650
Sub-3 JL 10w6v1ae's sealed
Highs amp-MS275
Mids amp-MS2125
Subs amp-MS2250TA
oldschool

Post by oldschool »

Do you think the m44 would be enough to power the energy hertz comps? They are 100w rms 300 peak
knightrider358

Post by knightrider358 »

yes i am confident each side bridged should be enough power

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Current 1 of 2 current installs

HU-Alpine IVA-D310
DSP-PXA-H701
Comps-JL ZR 650
Sub-3 JL 10w6v1ae's sealed
Highs amp-MS275
Mids amp-MS2125
Subs amp-MS2250TA
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

thats what i would do also. thoese speakers will love the m44's headroom
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
oldschool

Post by oldschool »

Cool, Im just going to skip the rear altogether and upgrade the fronts to the energy, still keeping with the budget. I'm going with the prs80 and running 3 way active off the HU. Question, is there somewhere I can get the hertz comps without the passive xover? I have been searching for a few hours and still cant find a place to get them. Thinking this should be cheaper and I wont need them anyways.

Just ordered the knu 4 gauge ofc amp kit. Hoping to have enough left over to do the big 3-4.

Thanks for the help guys!! Really appreciate it, Its been so long since I have been in the scene, have to relearn/ learn so much.

Definitely going to need help with the active setup.

Cheers!!
NOT 2 OLD YET

Post by NOT 2 OLD YET »

I agree with Knightrider use the deck power for rears. If you are going for a SQ setup you will probably find that your rear fill is not needed. I spent a lot of time and money putting together nice rear fill in my truck. I don't use them at all, the sound just irritates me now. I only keep them in case of rear passengers. I compete
SQ, The front comps are all you will need anyway. Lets face it, its your car if someone don't like the sweet spot sound directed at you tell em to get out and walk.
Collection And Still Growing:
M-100, 50,2,44s, and 25
RT 66 #0840, Outlaw#1005, Bandit#1884, MQ430
MS2125, MS275, MS 2250 W/shroud 3MPS2500, 2 MPS2240 Custom MPS4740
EQ215, EQ215ix,EQ 230 W/TBAt, ZX600TI, 400TI, TI500.4
2 PLD1, MX2, 2 Leather Team PG Jackets
TBA (Dealer Display Empty Guts)10'XS Subs
AX204, 406 (New In Box)
Eclipse ECD413 + DSP1001 , 2 JL 8W6
Installed: PG MPS2500 and Modified By PG MQ430
ZBB34TI With ZRDT3, and RMD
Audison Bit 10