eq215x repair

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
bnae38

eq215x repair

Post by bnae38 »

Hi All,

Purchased a broken one of these a couple weeks ago. I replaced the toasted fets but am still having issues with the unit. The transformer has a ferrite core under it but not on the top like i see on a couple pics of the guts of an eq215ix. I'm wondering if it is missing and if that's part of my problem. On a bench supply, current limited to 1.5A and 13v, it drops down to CC (8v) and unit outputs +/-1.5v. Fets get hot.

The coils are not shorted/shorting and everything else seems to check out at this point.

I could babble on and on about dissecting the circuitry and other debugging, but it would appear to me the problem is here. I've changed much of the surrounding supply circuitry and opened +/-15v to the rest of the unit, it is not being pulled down. Controller has been changed, feedback seems ok.. but i do wonder. I've changed the opto isolators as well. Caps all seem to check out. etc etc babble babble :)

Thanks,
Ben
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Re: eq215x repair

Post by Eric D »

I have never seen a PG processor without the top of the transformer core. I am pretty certain it will not function correctly with only half of its core, there would be no path for the magnetic flux to travel.
Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...
bnae38

Post by bnae38 »

Thanks Eric, that's kind of what i was thinking.

Now i need to figure out how to get the correct type of cap, there are some on digikey with various permeability. Hmm.

http://www.digikey.com/products/en/magn ... ageSize=25
bnae38

Post by bnae38 »

I ordered the 100nH, 400nH and 2.8uH.. needed some other stuffs too.

Wish me luck lol
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

Where are you located? I might have one I can send you. Feel free to send me a private message about it.
Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...
bnae38

Post by bnae38 »

She's alive.
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... ND/3913847

Just used the top half of this guy and the bottom that i still had with it :).
trickyricky

Post by trickyricky »

HURRAY!!! Congrats and thanks for saving her.