The $150 Route 66 thread. :)

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
Audiophiliac

The $150 Route 66 thread. :)

Post by Audiophiliac »

Pics:

http://picasaweb.google.com/audiophilia ... directlink

Found this by way of this phorum on the local craigslist. I search there daily anyway for certain things...but someone beat me to it this time. Thanks!

Started at $200, and I picked it up for $150. Not too bad I thought. Even when I saw it, I was not hesitant to pay that price for it. It worked. At least it looked like it. They only had subs hooked up to it. But they had the power and ground looped from one side to the other (yeah....looped....with 12 gauge wire). Both green lights were on. I figured it must be at least half alive. So I took it quickly.

I really feel like I got an awesome amp. The hispanic girl I bought it from in the trailer park said her dad fixed it up for her to put in her stratus but in her new truck, she had speakers that were too small for this amp. So he got her a smaller one. She tried to show that to me but I was not interested. But she mentioned that the Route 66 made her whole car move, it was so big! I knew I had to have it.

The wiring was horrid. 4 gauge coming from the battery was the only thing done right. They made it and the 12 gauge jumper "fit" on the + terminal, and used 2 18 gauge speaker wires for ground. I did not even want to see where they grounded it.

All the speaker screws are basically stripped. Nearly all the gold case screws are missing. Almost all the case threads are stripped out. And there are battle wounds all over the thing. Its not in horrible shape.....I can clean it up a lot and I will.

I opened her up and only saw one spot where it looked like it had been repaired. The front RCA input jack looks to either have been replaced or just soldered back together. Not a huge deal as long as it works. I can always re-do it if I want. I will try and get a test bench set up so I can more fully test it to make sure all the knobs and dials work and make sure it is fully operational before I decide to keep it or sell it. Still exploring options on how to use it in my system best.

I just feel that rescuing this LE beauty from imminent death was worth far more than what I paid for the amp.

Updates will be posted here later. :)
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Nice catch... just needs a little love and it will be a fantastic amp!

I assume the caps need to be changed as well...
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

good show, yeah defi worth it!

lets pc it?
I will be doing outlaw here shortly ...
realistically though the shipping would be prohibitive and better off doing it up there i bet... just wanting to PC stuff -
PAST WORK/S HERE::
https://www.facebook.com/KhameleonKoatings/photos_albums
rscecil007

Post by rscecil007 »

Def a nice find, easily worth the money I'd say!

There was one here on CL some time ago, but the guy still wanted like $600 for it.
"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."
bogart

Post by bogart »

there was another here in town off cl and it was fucking ugly condition wise and he wanted three bills for it...

Looks like you got one hell of a deal there!!!!!

They are wonderful amps. I thought about getting one to run my front stage....160*2 and 100 to the center channel...but the outlaw won out on that one!!!
Audiophiliac

Post by Audiophiliac »

Not sure what I will do with it yet. I will replace the caps and probably the front RCA input assembly just to be on the safe side and make it right...then I will replace all the screws and re-tap the threads. If I could find someone to silk-screen the thing back to original, I would have it touched up and powder coated and re screened. I figure I would have less than $500 into it when it was all said and done which is still a decent deal for an amp that will be like new when I am done with it. :)

Or if someone twists my arm enough, I will sell it as it is and not deal with the hassle. :P

Hmmmmmmm.......
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

ill take it... jlmk
twist twist...
I am working on PC'ing and Silkscreening an outlaw. Given that art work is next to just the same... I would love to have that challenge. I have tap die too, and helicoil sets (4-40's and 6-32 sets, w/ locking coils even in fact)

i will be starting thread here this weekened about the outlaw process...it is another members on here and he wanted to tweak it just a bit from it original.

I am pumped b/c i finally found a screening place that can output and expose the artwork.... as i was having trouble with one here inn town and just really wanted to work with him, as he is my best friends gurlfriend brother... but he couldnt output/work with my AI files and kept having trble for one reason or another... but yeah I have outlaw artwork and the guys at the new place said no sweat, so I am pumped. I have been sending them artwork all this week in fcat and telling him to keep these as they are on top of list to do...
namely:
1) M44
2) M44
3) OUTLAW
4) 275 endplate stuff
5) RCA LOGO (FOR PLEXI)
6) MS1K Circuit board plexi

that what he has so far and all is good to run with the ball.

Just waiting for frames to arrive up there with the mesh, so they can get to work

(addendum) and just as an fyi to those who it applies to... JOERG/DDD, DD10's and OUTLAW got stripped tonight... dd10's will get shot tomorrow, the outlaw only got to the cover, base and sink tomorrow.
tonym

Post by tonym »

are you talking about silk screening the tops?
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

tonym wrote:are you talking about silk screening the tops?
I am, yes.

I am inclined to think that Audiophiliac is too
Misfire

Post by Misfire »

That's awesome, cause I will need my M44 redone.
gfunk_nz

Post by gfunk_nz »

Well if I can twist you arm enough, I'll take it, I had also talked to the seller about it.
Let me know if you can't be bothered with the hassle. I'll either get it sent up to Lewiston to pick up when I'm there next year or see if someone could pick it up.