TiDD10 - rust

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
blind_ex

TiDD10 - rust

Post by blind_ex »

Just got TiDD10, but i has some rust on it, nothing serious, Im just thinking of best way of cleaning it and protecting from more rust
zx450 x2
mps2500
bass cube,eq215ix
TiDD10
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Re: TiDD10 - rust

Post by ttocs »

damn lost my post, take 2

ITs really easy actually and I made a post with pics but can't find it now. All the Ti finish is, is brushed steel and a flat clear. Start by sanding down the small areas where the rust is. Be carefull to stay away from the writting as it will come off easy. Use a 220 grit first to make small spots where the rust use to be. This will make a low spot in the clear that will look wierd if you just leave it like that so smooth out the high/low spots with some 400 grit. Now again you need a good grain on the steel to make the finish and the 400 grit will smooth that out so after the 400, go over it once again with the 220 to get the grain up. Its important while sanding to make sure you go back-n-forth in only two directions as if you get it a little off it will show. After all the sanding, cleain it with alcahol or a paint prep wipe and then hit it with the clear before it starts to rust. I put an extra coat of clear on all my ti gear to keep it looking good no matter if it has rust or not. I also do it because I discovered if you use a glossy clear the grain in the finish pops and looks alot better IMO but if you don;t like it you can always block sand it quickly with some 1500-2000k grit and your back to the flat.

Also when clearing, start off with two very very light coats. all you want to do is to get some of it on the metal but not enough to cover it. Wait 15-20 mins between coats and after the 2 light the follow with the heavier coats to cover it all. This was called grip-n-rip as described to me by a painter and will help the new clear stick to the old clear better.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
blind_ex

Post by blind_ex »

thx a lot for the info, i shall do it as soon as i can
zx450 x2
mps2500
bass cube,eq215ix
TiDD10
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

no problem I am happy to help when I can. found the post I made with pics.

http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php? ... it=ti+rust

This was one I did really quickly one day as I didn't have much time. The small difference you can see ther is because I was not carefull enough to keep my sanding strokes in two directions back and forth. Even with this honestly you would have to be up close and looking for a difference which is not the case with the rust so even that is better then the rust IMO.
money-b

Post by money-b »

this is the best way to remove rust.... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PHOENIX-GOLD-TiDD ... 3cb48ecb25 seems flawless to me,lol! international shipping also....
ALPINE CDA-9815,ALPINE CDA-7897
TI 500.4,TI 800.1
2 X JL AUDIO W6V2
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

did you see the shipping? Take it x2 to convert roughly to american dollars and iduno