New install in 03 Corvette Z06

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
Spreadman

New install in 03 Corvette Z06

Post by Spreadman »

So I've been putting this off due to a shortage in funds, but Uncle Sam is sending me some happiness, and that's my cue to get going.

It's an 03 Z06 factory everything (audio-wise). The previous owner put some sound deadening, but I won't know how good a job until I tear the interior down. I'm planning on adding more. Overall, I plan on keeping it simple looking. But since this will be my first foray into an amp rack, I'm a tad hesitant.

On the Corvette fixed roof coupe, there's a shelf behind the seats, and some people put a foam divider under the glass to cordone off the trunk from the cab.

So I'm planning on putting the amp rack there...I've got 3 MS-275's...waiting to send them to Kameleon to PC them yellow to match the car. I'll build a sub box to take the place of the foam divider. I've calculated I can get 2 JL 10TW3's while keeping the box 4.5" deep. They'll be firing into the trunk.

Since I'm an old school Polk guy, I will probably go with MM comps up front and coax's in the rear. I'm going to audition as much as I can before pulling the trigger. I remember their tweeters being very smooth...I hope they still are.

I'm working with a Corvette audio shop to get a double-DIN Kenwood (DDX-719) and a modded dash console that will accept it. Apart from all that, I have no idea what to do. I'm researching power management and trying to come up with ideas for a simple/clean amp rack. Which brings me here. Any thoughts?
Last edited by Spreadman on Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AVICJR
Team Coach

Re: New install in 03 Corvette Z06

Post by AVICJR »

Welcome to the forum!! I suggest taking a tour of the install section of this forum, plenty of good ideas to mull around with.
Spreadman

Post by Spreadman »

AVICJR wrote:Welcome to the forum!! I suggest taking a tour of the install section of this forum, plenty of good ideas to mull around with.
Thanks! Been a lurker for a while. And I've read most of the threads 2-3 times over. :D
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

:drool: :shock: :drool: :shock: :drool: Z06???
dvnt88

Post by dvnt88 »

Spreadman wrote:So I've been putting this off due to a shortage in funds, but Uncle Sam is sending me some happiness, and that's my cue to get going.

It's an 03 Z06 factory everything (audio-wise). The previous owner put some sound deadening, but I won't know how good a job until I tear the interior down. I'm planning on adding more. Overall, I plan on keeping it simple looking. But since this will be my first foray into an amp rack, I'm a tad hesitant.

On the Corvette fixed roof coupe, there's a shelf behind the seats, and some people put a foam divider under the glass to cordone off the trunk from the cab.

So I'm planning on putting the amp rack there...I've got 3 MS-275's...waiting to send them to Kameleon to PC them yellow to match the car. I'll build a sub box to take the place of the foam divider. I've calculated I can get 2 JL 10TW3's while keeping the box 4.5" deep. They'll be firing into the trunk.

Since I'm an old school Polk guy, I will probably go with MM comps up front and coax's in the rear. I'm going to audition as much as I can before pulling the trigger. I remember their tweeters being very smooth...I hope they still are.

I'm working with a Corvette audio shop to get a double-DIN Kenwood (DDX-719) and a modded dash console that will accept it. Apart from all that, I have no idea what to do. I'm researching power management and trying to come up with ideas for a simple/clean amp rack. Which brings me here. Any thoughts?
Have you tried these sites for the box's. SubThump specializes in Corvette and Camaro boxes as well as MadVette. Links below and if ya have already researched this, then no harm, no foul. :mrgreen: Welcome to the Phorum. :clap:

http://subthump.com/Chevrolet-GMC-Sub-Boxes/Corvette

http://www.madvettemotorsports.com/
Audison Bit Ten
Hertz HSK163's (x2)
Hertz HX250 subs (x2)
Hertz HDP1
Hertz HDP4
PG Tantrum BassCUBE
XS Power D4900
Misc. PG Install Goodies

"Old-Skool TI-Whore"
Spreadman

Post by Spreadman »

dvnt88 wrote:
Have you tried these sites for the box's. SubThump specializes in Corvette and Camaro boxes as well as MadVette. Links below and if ya have already researched this, then no harm, no foul. :mrgreen: Welcome to the Phorum. :clap:

Never saw the subthump...but they only make the boxes for 2005 and up. :( And madvette's site appears to have vanished.

But that's a great price for the subthump...only a few dollars more than the Eckler's foam partitions.
dvnt88

Post by dvnt88 »

Spreadman wrote:
dvnt88 wrote:

Never saw the subthump...but they only make the boxes for 2005 and up. :( And madvette's site appears to have vanished.

But that's a great price for the subthump...only a few dollars more than the Eckler's foam partitions.
That's odd as I just looked at MadVettes site last week and they made a C5 partion box for a single 10 and amp rack ....hmm :doh: . If ya get in contact with SubThump they can probably mod the c6 box to fit the c5. Have had several Camaro enclosures from them and are top notch guys and great products.
Audison Bit Ten
Hertz HSK163's (x2)
Hertz HX250 subs (x2)
Hertz HDP1
Hertz HDP4
PG Tantrum BassCUBE
XS Power D4900
Misc. PG Install Goodies

"Old-Skool TI-Whore"
Spreadman

Post by Spreadman »

I'm exchanging emails with subthump.com's owner right now.

And Stipud....the vehicle in question:

:D
dvnt88

Post by dvnt88 »

Spreadman wrote:I'm exchanging emails with subthump.com's owner right now.

And Stipud....the vehicle in question:

:D
Nicccccce ...I've got a '97 30th Ann. edition Z-28 and wouldn't trade her for the world. :mrgreen:
Audison Bit Ten
Hertz HSK163's (x2)
Hertz HX250 subs (x2)
Hertz HDP1
Hertz HDP4
PG Tantrum BassCUBE
XS Power D4900
Misc. PG Install Goodies

"Old-Skool TI-Whore"
freshkryp69

Post by freshkryp69 »

Spreadman wrote:So I've been putting this off due to a shortage in funds, but Uncle Sam is sending me some happiness, and that's my cue to get going.

you want the best box money can buy for a decent price with workmanship second to none?? http://pwkdesigns.com/ . He is a acoustical engineer and this is all he does, design the badest boxes! He can make a pair of 6" sub's sound like 10-12"'s vids on youtube..he will either design you cad plan custom to your vette or he can make you the box. No box is to complex for this guy. check him out..

Brad
Square 1
Spreadman

Post by Spreadman »

Oooh, they fit. :) (crappy cell phone pics warning)
bigdwiz

Post by bigdwiz »

One of these would sound SUPA sweet in that car....

1992 Era Polk Audio C4:

See it up close and personal and in ACTION!!

Old School Car Audio Amp Tests and More:
http://www.youtube.com/BigDWiz

Also see my old school website for tests, reviews and more;
http://www.oldschoolstereo.com
Spreadman

Post by Spreadman »

bigdwiz, a friend of mine had one in his old CRX. Sounded awesome. Shame it won't fit in the vette with that I'm trying to accomplish.