Can I use 1/4 watt resistors for r-nets?

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
mfenske

Can I use 1/4 watt resistors for r-nets?

Post by mfenske »

Fry's is nearly out of stock on all 1/8 watt resistors, is it okay to use 1/4 watt ones in my r-nets?
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Re: Can I use 1/4 watt resistors for r-nets?

Post by ttocs »

damn good question. Larry has been around here lately and would probably be the one to answer definitively. I mean the resistance is what determines the freq and they are all just resistors but I can't say they ever covered if the larger wattage resistors had any other strange effects on circuits while I was in school.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
trickyricky

Post by trickyricky »

Absolutely safe, as long as they are 5% or better tolerance. How much are resistors at frys? I ask because i would rather use r-networks instead.
mfenske

Post by mfenske »

AWESOME!!! The local Fry's had something like 20 of them for 3 or 4 bucks. The 1/8 watt are around $1 for 6 of them.
trickyricky

Post by trickyricky »

Mouser has them for pennies when you buy in large amounts (such as 100 or even 50). The only prob is you have to pay for shipping....lucky for me I have a distribution center near by, I can pick them up within an hour of placing my order.

R-networks cost about 3-4 bucks, I prefer those, just like the originals but ordering them can be a PITA because you can easily order the wrong ones. You have to know exactly what you're looking for (looking at datasheets to confirm the right configuration).
Last edited by trickyricky on Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

if fry's doesn't have them they probably just have not stocked the shelves that day. Loved that store when I was in phoenix there was not much you could not find there.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.