so did pg fall off earth or what?

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
JK

Re: so did pg fall off earth or what?

Post by JK »

RayBuck wrote:We are getting old....I will be 40 in October I had pg when I was 16 I lived at home had a job working at food dog worked all the time in the summer. I spent all my money on car audio,cd's, gas and girls. I used to get off work and ride the beach road kitty hawk nags head I would also go to va beach strip and ride but I would always get a noise ordinance ticket. I would have to get my mom to go to court with me because I was a minor funny shit. All of my old school phoenix gold brings back memories.
Awwww!! I was just reading threw this and scene this post.. I was born in VB... Man!! All I can say is the good ol days... Ocean front was bumper to bumper from the blvd to Rudy inlet.. Then those damn cops kept crackin down.. I had hundreds of tickets.. I remember I had to jump out of the car to change the VHS... DAS was the spot... That's when I first heard of pg... I had a mps 2500 on 3 w6 10's.. Then a 275 on the front and one one the back...
knightrider358

Post by knightrider358 »

The cops in VB, downtown norfolk, newport news were asses when it came to playing loud stereos.

I delt with it when i was in high school too from 95-99 and till 01 when i moved away from that area. I loved DAS, go ho audio, bacj then w all the pg they had.

I wished the shop i worked at...audio architects sold it :-(
Current 1 of 2 current installs

HU-Alpine IVA-D310
DSP-PXA-H701
Comps-JL ZR 650
Sub-3 JL 10w6v1ae's sealed
Highs amp-MS275
Mids amp-MS2125
Subs amp-MS2250TA
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

I didn't have a beach or anything cool as I grew up in a shitty little town in the Midwest so nothing but corn and soy bean fields. We did have our strip though and it seemed from 16-20 there wasn't anything else to do on the weekends. On a good night it was bumper to bumper and everyone was trying to out-bump the next guy and pick up the girls and stay away from the cops or that one asshole that always seemed to pop up and want to fight for no reason . I am not sure what kids that age do now as the last time I was near it on the weekend when it should have been busy it was completely empty. From this to the goth/emo's and the cutters I have never felt more out of touch with the times.

But I can now afford PG so its not all bad....
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
NotDeafYet

Post by NotDeafYet »

20some years ago, I had all PG and Audiocontrol gear. A tree got in the way of my car at 45mph. Stripped the car. Sat on the gear. Sold the gear. FWD to today.. building again, all PG and Audiocontrol again.

I wouldn't be caught dead buying new PG stuff. From what I've read here in the forums, most of us 40some year olds are in the same boat - we wouldn't buy new PG, we're all scouring the net for the old stuff, the stuff we used to have, or wanted to have. The stuff that was BUILT RIGHT AND WHERE RESULTS COUNTED.

I still have my Saphire 12s in an isobaric box, a setup that did 139DB on an M50 back then.

I don't know what the young crowd is doing these days either. Frankly, so many have zero work ethics. Insurance rates are sky high. Gas is expensive. Mechanics are first born robbers. School is expensive. Life is expensive. Doesn't leave much in terms of cash in hand for toys... unless you're a silver spoon fed offspring. Once they get a 'real' job after school, I don't know if most are into buying audio gear - factory radios and setups have come a LONG way since the 90s, I think that's the main reason aftermarket audio gear has suffered as it has.

Hell, even the stores that USED to sell audio gear, nice or mid line, aren't around any more!!! Only one Best Buy in my area sells car audio gear. Future shops, when they were around, had a lot of car audio stuff for sale. There were piles of audio shops around town. The worldwide online market place that life is now, has also had a severe impact on the private outfit audio shops. Even applies to car performance sector - everything is cheaper online, no store can compete frankly. It's only on the labour that they can survive.

Anyways.. PG was up there then. PG sucks now. Fugly looking hardware. That's how I see it.

What can PG do about it now? Hmm.

MAKE SIMPLE BARE BONE AMPS THAT KICK A$$, FOR A REASONABLE PRICE. Save money on making and keeping it simple. Let people buy offboard processors and crossovers and what not. Give us a power, ground, remote and speaker connections. That's it. Keep the chassis clean and simple. KISS. Don't make limited edition runs. Concentrate on ONE line.

Good restaurants don't have 60 items on the menu. People pay for quality. Concentrate on few items. Keep people happy. Happy people spread the word. Word of mouth is what counts. Save on advertising. Let the people and the online world spread the world.

If you make quality, you won't need a big RMA dept. You won't need to hire staff to fix the crap you peddled. You won't need to deal with EMAILS that everyone sends. Make it right the first time, and you will never see your item again.

I wouldn't buy a 'zen9' ... I'd pay the same amount for old school PG amps that have a rep.

Hell, revive the old school amps that made PG famous. "Retro" in itself is a booming idea. Everyone knows that everyone don't make things like they used to. Why reinvent the wheel?

M^2 would be a nice name. MS^2. MPS^2.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

I have owned the elite line and was impressed with what I heard it play. I am not going to be so close minded as to say that I read its all crap so it must be. Sure there have been some issues but there were plenty of revisions on the older gear as they tweeked it. It would be nice if they had the same customer service as they did back in the day and still had the option to do the uber cool 1-off stuff they used to but its just too big of a company now. I loved their old stuff but its not to say that it could be better. If I could find an all in one 9 channel amp to drive the full-active system I planning I would consider it but with the space I have to play with I can't fit 4-5 amps around to drive them all.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

The current PG Ti2 series is every bit as good (if not better) than any PG amp ever made. I use a Ti21600.5 in my daily driver. I have had RF, Soundstream, PG ZX, PG Ti, and some others I have since forgot in this same vehicle and this amp is by far the best. It has all the power in 1/4 of the space. And all the SQ of any other amp I have tried in this setup. Also, being full range Class D, it draws less than half the current off my electrical system. No more headlight dimming for me, and this is currently the loudest setup I have had in the vehicle.

If you don't like the looks, so be it. I am not a huge fan of the looks either. But, when it comes down to it, the performance is there.

If you don't agree, it just means you have not tried one yet...

My old MS and ZX amps still have their rightful place on my wall on display. They will never go in another vehicle so long as I own them.
Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...
RayBuck

Post by RayBuck »

JK wrote:
RayBuck wrote:We are getting old....I will be 40 in October I had pg when I was 16 I lived at home had a job working at food dog worked all the time in the summer. I spent all my money on car audio,cd's, gas and girls. I used to get off work and ride the beach road kitty hawk nags head I would also go to va beach strip and ride but I would always get a noise ordinance ticket. I would have to get my mom to go to court with me because I was a minor funny shit. All of my old school phoenix gold brings back memories.
Awwww!! I was just reading threw this and scene this post.. I was born in VB... Man!! All I can say is the good ol days... Ocean front was bumper to bumper from the blvd to Rudy inlet.. Then those damn cops kept crackin down.. I had hundreds of tickets.. I remember I had to jump out of the car to change the VHS... DAS was the spot... That's when I first heard of pg... I had a mps 2500 on 3 w6 10's.. Then a 275 on the front and one one the back...
Hahahaha small fucking world. I worked at DAS from 93 to 2000 ish I worked at the blvd store was shop forman the last couple of years. I miss those days now back then not so much got the shit worked out of me and the pay was way low but I got my equipment at cost plus whatever Les wanted to charge extra he could be a dick to work for. I have worked on plenty of famous people shit missy timberland teddy that's just a couple lots of big time dealers. Seen shit tons of money drugs ha or drug money... got some stories to say the least
RayBuck

Post by RayBuck »

JK wrote:
Hahahaha small fucking world. I worked at DAS from 93 to 2000 ish I worked at the blvd store was shop forman the last couple of years. I miss those days now back then not so much got the shit worked out of me and the pay was way low but I got my equipment at cost plus whatever Les wanted to charge extra he could be a dick to work for. I have worked on plenty of famous people shit missy timberland teddy that's just a couple lots of big time dealers. Seen shit tons of money drugs ha or drug money... got some stories to say the least
RayBuck

Post by RayBuck »

Sorry guys for the double post tryed to delete it but I don't know wtf I am doing.
NotDeafYet

Post by NotDeafYet »

Eric D wrote:The current PG Ti2 series is every bit as good (if not better) than any PG amp ever made. I use a Ti21600.5 in my daily driver. I have had RF, Soundstream, PG ZX, PG Ti, and some others I have since forgot in this same vehicle and this amp is by far the best. It has all the power in 1/4 of the space. And all the SQ of any other amp I have tried in this setup. Also, being full range Class D, it draws less than half the current off my electrical system. No more headlight dimming for me, and this is currently the loudest setup I have had in the vehicle.

If you don't like the looks, so be it. I am not a huge fan of the looks either. But, when it comes down to it, the performance is there.

If you don't agree, it just means you have not tried one yet...

My old MS and ZX amps still have their rightful place on my wall on display. They will never go in another vehicle so long as I own them.
Your amp looks decent.. I"ll admit, I do kind of like it. I guess I'm just wanting to see and have fins/heat sinks. The specs on that amp of yours are pretty up there! Did a quick search on ebay for those elites.. don't come by too often. Class D amps are easy on the alternators, that I'll give you. And technology has caught up a bit. I'll believe you if you say it sounds as or better than the vintage stuff. No arguments here.

And no I haven't tried one, nor have I heard one. Haven't had a real stereo setup in my cars in 2 decades.. and all my friends who had gear then, don't now - those silly priorities seem to hinder certain luxuries hehehe... As mentioned.. a lot of people don't "do" stereos anymore - they're all happy with an ipod and a factory stereo setup in a car with monthly payments!

Come to think of it.. home audio.. home theaters ... I think that might of diverted funds once allocated for the car to the living room. I know it did for me.. spent a few years stacking up gear in the living room. An old neighbor wasn't sad to see me move away. "Hey, the car OEM stereo setup sounds nice, why don't we upgrade the living room, honey?"

I guess I'm buying the old stuff, because I had it 20 years ago, and the style looks sick. Three M series amps side by side.. 40.5"-47.25"(not sure on final choice of Ms I'm gonna use) of gold heat sinks.. all white chassis.. all the cables on one side.. great power.. it's my personal choice. Everyone has different tastes.

I think most of us agree that PG isn't what they used to be. What should they do to get back in the game? Oh that's right, there is no game, so why bother? Car stereo gear is just a niche thing now.. no more mainstream. As mentioned.. OEM car audio is pretty darn good, so why bother messing with it?
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

With Class D, you don't really need fins on the heatsinks anymore. My ride home from work is right around 30 minutes. On a hot summer day, at about 25 minutes into the ride home, my Soundstream Reference 705s and my PG Ti800.4 would shut off. My Rockford amps would keep going, but they ran so hot I really was concerned they would melt the back of the seat they were installed behind. In the case of the Ti800.4, it was an early model, and PG has since added fans too it.

With the Ti21600.5 I can play it as loud as it will go the whole ride home. When I get home, the amp is warm to the touch, but not hot at all. This is truly remarkable technology compared to years ago.

I do agree there is no game anymore. I am sure the closest stereo installation shop to me is over 3 hours away. There used to be five in my town, all of them are gone. Of all the people I know locally, only one of them has a stereo. I helped install this stereo over 7 years ago, and the car just sits in the garage now.
Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...
6ix

Post by 6ix »

I hope it is ok to bump this older thread.

Like many of you I have been away from the scene. Mostly as I kept changing cars and never got around to instals. Other things took up my time and money, like houses, bills, life. But now I am getting back into it. My stash of kit is slowly growing. I aim to get something done this summer. Anyway, a few memories from back in the day...

Before I could drive I would be cruising around on my push bike, soaking up the sun rays all summer. Every now and then you could just detect the deep bass of a real subwoofer. Then a car would roll by sounding incredible. I needed a system like that! This was ingrained into my mind well before I could even drive. I had no idea how I was going to afford the car, plus insurance, plus running costs, plus an audio instal. But it was going to happen. And it did. A couple of years later and I had a kit list of PG and RF. Once I had visited a car audio show in the 1990s that was it. My eyes were opened to how far things could go. The audio bug was here to stay.

8)

I do think that the rarity of cars today with a sound system means fewer people ever get to see and hear what is possible. People do not want what they do not know even exists. Thus the demand is reduced over and over in a spiral. Most people would not know SQ in a car was even possible. At a push they may have seen or heard a budget poor instal.