help with rsd12d?

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
zaxeon

help with rsd12d?

Post by zaxeon »

Need some help with this and for the life of me I cant figure it out. Got the rsd12 mounted and set in my truck, ext cab Ram with back seat removed, hooked everything up and it sounded horrid. Really low notes sounded pretty good, it was making a "clapping" noise at 1/2 volume and I was thinking the signal was getting clipped. Went over the gain with dmm, gave the wiring a good look and all checked out good, turned the low pass filter down all the way to 30hz, still there. Enclosure seemed to be flexing quite a bit so I climbed up on the box and sat down. Seemed to sound better. So, thinking my enclosure maybe rattling around, I built another one. Same dimensions, 3/4 mdf 1.8 cft sealed, but braced this one up and doubled the front and the back. No way it can flex now. Got it set back in and the "clap" is still there. Swapped amps and it did the same thing. HU should be fine, was running 2 CVR10s (1cft each sealed) off it and they didn't have this noise. Moved it around in the truck a bit to see if it would make a difference. If the sub is spaced about 5" from the back of the seat or the back of the cab the noise seems to go away and the bass sounds cleaner. So, any ideas? I am feeding it around 800 watts so it should have plenty of power and it really dosnt look like it is hitting the mech limit so I am stumped. I could really use another idea or an explanation. Thanks guys.
Jacampb2
Mad Scientist

Post by Jacampb2 »

Most times I have heard what you describe, it has been due to the driver over excursing. There have been a few rare times I have heard it from the enclosure being torn apart by the sub. If the joints are not sealed well, and the spacing between fasteners is to great, you can get a slap from the panel lifting and snapping back, but it appears you have addressed that.

Is this a RSD or RSDc? I don't know a whole lot about PG's Rsd lineup, but I believe that 1.8 cubes is larger than recommended for either of the rsd subs. If it is truly the RSD12, then I would guess that you are over driving it in a enclosure that is too large. Start chucking stuff in the box to take up space and see if things improve. I think you are supposed to be around 1.1-1.2 cubes...

Good luck,
Jason
M: M100, M44 for a custom amp project
Zx: Zx500, Zx450, Black Zx350
ZxTi: 4 Zx600Ti's, 1 Zx400Ti
Ti: 5 800.1's & 900.7 for a custom amp project. 1 1200.1, 1 1000.2
Tantrum: 2 1200.1's, 1 600.4, 1 500.2
XS: XS6600
fordtough1
Twisted's Boyfriend

Post by fordtough1 »

I don't know, the enclosure size shouldn't be a problem though. I ran a single RSD 12 in 1.8 cft sealed on 1000 watts and didn't have any noise like that. Of course that was in the trunk of a car also.

Someone else?
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

Check for air leaks-
push the cone in it should have resistance and it should snap back to place when you let go. If it slowly moves back you have an air leak. If you have little or no resistance when pressing the cone in you have a big air leak.

Depending on the size and location of the air leak it could be causing the noise you describe.

Also check for connecting wires that may be between the cone and motor. While the speaker is out to inspect the wiring tap the cone a little in various directions, listen for clicking etc... this may indicate a failed glue joint in the assembly.

good luck.
I think we've established that "Ka Ka" and "Tukki Tukki" don't work.
str8cyko

Post by str8cyko »

might check and see if the back of the cone is hitting the tinsel.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Jacampb2 wrote:Is this a RSD or RSDc? I don't know a whole lot about PG's Rsd lineup, but I believe that 1.8 cubes is larger than recommended for either of the rsd subs. If it is truly the RSD12, then I would guess that you are over driving it in a enclosure that is too large. Start chucking stuff in the box to take up space and see if things improve. I think you are supposed to be around 1.1-1.2 cubes...
FYI the RSD 12s perform best in big boxes, 1.8 is where they sound their absolute best, but you can go as small as 1.25 with them with very little difference. The RSD 10's however like small boxes, like 0.5-0.75 cuft.

The RSD comp 12's like 1-1.25, and the 10's 0.5-0.75 as well.

So only the plain RSD 12 is the black sheep, and rewards you for giving it a slightly bigger box than normal. The rest of them take more conventional sizes.
zaxeon

Post by zaxeon »

"Check for air leaks-
push the cone in it should have resistance and it should snap back to place when you let go. If it slowly moves back you have an air leak."....

I am sorry for seeming like a dumb ass on this but I checked today and low and behold.... it has a leak. Cant believe I missed it last night but it is around the gasket on the sub. Push in the cone and you can hear it plain as day. "Hiiisssssss" sound. Thanks for the help and I am going to build a third box tonight. Will let you know what happens.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Why don't you just seal it off instead of making a new box? :?

A bit of weather gasketing material and screwing it down tight is all it takes, even on the crappiest boxes.