Not pleased with Zed's (Stephen Mantz') service

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
vin78
Vin Diesel

Post by vin78 »

Well, I just got a response from Zed.

All he said was he insured the package for $700. He also said that he packaged the amp very well. Not from what I saw when I unpacked it :cry:
Im pretty sure i'll get a quick "no" response if UPS takes a look at the shipping box.

Just FYI, he is the lone worker at this facility. His only tech left a while back.

The ironic thing is that he hates UPS, but he prefers them because he doesn't get to work until noon'ish, and UPS usually delivers after that. Fedex (my preferred method) gets there early as well as usps.
mr tibbs
Forum Goatee

Post by mr tibbs »

Good luck Vin, looks like your in a tight spot. I hope it works out for ya! Keep us in the loop. :cry:
[url=http://www.usbr.gov//][img]http://www.usbr.gov/images/banner-3.jpg[/img][/url]
Wakeup
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by Wakeup »

vin78 wrote:Well, I just got a response from Zed.

All he said was he insured the package for $700. He also said that he packaged the amp very well. Not from what I saw when I unpacked it :cry:
Im pretty sure i'll get a quick "no" response if UPS takes a look at the shipping box.

Just FYI, he is the lone worker at this facility. His only tech left a while back.

The ironic thing is that he hates UPS, but he prefers them because he doesn't get to work until noon'ish, and UPS usually delivers after that. Fedex (my preferred method) gets there early as well as usps.
take pictures of the materials used to pack? and how it approximately came back to you with his method of shipping!?

Tell him you are EXTREMELY unhappy.
God...I would be...it would have been wise to simply just ship them separately. anything of that type of bulk, weight and fragility, needs to be packed MUCH better than that...ESPECIALLY if he's got them all in one box. you dont pack eggs in a box without separating them and packing them well. You don't package anything like that for the most part. sheesh. I am so furious for you Vin....I can't believe you are not as pissed as you are (at least it seems like you aren't).

Also you should bring up the fact that if he packed it so well...(there are no dings in the box....dents etc...) but the amps have physical damage on them. Things are bent/broke etc....If he packed it well....and there's no physical abuse on the box....that should tell you....and him something.
GX3

Post by GX3 »

I just wonder if this was just a lack of him (Zed) not giving a shit. Remember his comment about the power supply being bad.
The amplifiers do not put out a lot of power at 12v battery, only 65w at 4 ohm...
The rail voltage at 12v battery is +/-31v with no load. Driving both channels into 4 ohms drops the supply to +/-26v. At 13.8v the supply is +/-34v and there I got 90w/ch. It is a poorly designed supply at best. No common mode choke bad regulation. They have enough power devices to do the job.

The design of the actual amplifier is fine. Power supply bad. Good car bad engine = bad car!
Maybe he figured that the amps didn’t deserve as good as a packing job as say one of his own. Who knows but from what I have heard about this guy he is the type that can do no wrong and won’t admit when he is. I hope he takes care of you Vin this is just unacceptable.
marko

Post by marko »

GX3 wrote:I just wonder if this was just a lack of him (Zed) not giving a shit. Remember his comment about the power supply being bad.
The amplifiers do not put out a lot of power at 12v battery, only 65w at 4 ohm...
The rail voltage at 12v battery is +/-31v with no load. Driving both channels into 4 ohms drops the supply to +/-26v. At 13.8v the supply is +/-34v and there I got 90w/ch. It is a poorly designed supply at best. No common mode choke bad regulation. They have enough power devices to do the job.

The design of the actual amplifier is fine. Power supply bad. Good car bad engine = bad car!
Maybe he figured that the amps didn’t deserve as good as a packing job as say one of his own. Who knows but from what I have heard about this guy he is the type that can do no wrong and won’t admit when he is. I hope he takes care of you Vin this is just unacceptable.
exactly what i was thinking...

pg has one one of the best reps worldwide as brilliant sq amps so one person's thoughts aint gonna change much..

that said i run zed amps and like them a lot :oops:
Ti1 headunit (unique)
Outlaw in crate.
2x original shrouded ms2250's.
Route 66 in box + custom m100 to match.
Roadster 66 in flight case
Octane LE in box.
Reactor #186 in flight case.
Reactor EQ232
Ti400.2 AL
AX204A + EQ232 + ZPX2 + TBA set
ZCS6 component set
Tantrum+Titanium bass cubes
Ti12d Elite sub
DD5 + DD10 + 6 Ti blocks!
neverman

Post by neverman »

It doesn't sound like he wants to take care of shit.If he worked on the amps, saw their condition in an intimate way (mind out of gutter, he opened them up for repair) and views the AFTER photos, he should compensate you.

If no bubble wrap was used he is responsible and should feel acountable. He runs a business and should expect sometimes for things to go wrong. It's certainly not your fault your beautiful amps are no longer so fetching.
95' M3
Alpine iDA-X305
iPod Classic (120GB ~10k songs)
PG TBAt2 line Driver
PG ZPX2 Active Crossover (x2 1ea.)
PG ZPA0.5 v2 (x2 Black)
Diamond Hex 6.5 (eton), silk tweeters (rear fill 5.25's @-8db)
Soundstream SS-10's (2) in a sealed box
Wakeup
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by Wakeup »

neverman wrote:It doesn't sound like he wants to take care of shit.If he worked on the amps, saw their condition in an intimate way (mind out of gutter, he opened them up for repair) and views the AFTER photos, he should compensate you.

If no bubble wrap was used he is responsible and should feel acountable. He runs a business and should expect sometimes for things to go wrong. It's certainly not your fault your beautiful amps are no longer so fetching.
I agree completely. Not only that...this guy is in AMP REPAIR....And EVERY amp...does not matter if he likes it or not, DOES NOT BELONG TO HIM! He needs to treat them as such. Also reguardless of what kind of amps they are, from Pyle, rockwood, to Helix, Braxx, and anything else....he knows better. IF I buy a Kia and you buy a Ferrari and you put a scratch in my Kia, would you not be pissed? I would...doesnt matter what type of car it is...it's MY CAR....
Anyone with two cents in their brain should know better. Thats just plain NEGLIGENT....

I aggree that if it came down to it, someone should take someone to court. Reguardless of what was wrong. Shoot the value is killed currently....Even if you COULD find the parts for cheap....it's not original....things are bent....scratched and etc. Thats just messed up is all.
Come on ZED!

I hope ZED changes his practice on shipping from now on. This is just plain NEGLIGENT. On purpose probably not....
To save a few pennies and to get them out in a hurry....probably so.
That's just not thinking and not using your brain. People send priceless amps to him I am sure on a Daily basis. AT LEAST reuse the materials used to ship to him!? wouldn't cost him ANYTHING extra if he just reused the materials shipped to him!? RIGHT Friggin (I hardly rareles cuss....so put one here for me). Anyone with two cents in their brain.....come on...COME ON!....sheesh. My wife hates it when I save all my boxes and packing materials that come to me in packages that I have. I have stored Itchy's gear and Pedi's....and on occasion a few others as a middle man....and Believe me I love to (take a look at some of the stuff...but If I know it's all packed in tight....I never open it....I have opened a few due to the previous pack job....in fear that the gear wasn't packed good, but sheesh if anything I pack it up a bit more. And I BELIEVE that every package I shipped to Itchy and Pedi have made it....with no issues!? at least they never said otherwise....Anyway come ON!!!
OMG...I am so furious...this could have been avoided SEVERAL times over....
I know Vin...and his love for his gear....and I AM 100% Possitive that the way he shipped to ZED was in no way the same as he got his gear back...that just disgusts me. Again If I were ZED....it'd save me a few bux to keep the boxes...ya I know where do you store it all...well where do you store all your stuff that you use to ship out people's gear? You gotta have it somewhere....The box has a label on it when it was shipped to you....with usually a return address? and how hard is it to maybe even make a #'ing system and attach a number to the shipping containers, and the amp? Grrr...I am so furious right now...

I bet if you did take him to court...you'd win. Hands down...
#1. He's in repair...he knows better.
#2. You shipped it bullet proof (i am sure of that) he could have reused the materials.
#3. He didn't give a hoot, when he should.
And I bet you can sue for EVERY PENNY those amps are worth...and win the FULL amount...and still keep them in your posession. NO DOUBT IN MY MIND.
You don't take your car to a mechanic and have it comming back to you with a bumper dented or doors scratched up or anything physical like that you just don't... They take extreme care (usually....) of the car in their posession. They use mats to place on your car so their belts and tools and such don't tough the car. Even when you go to Jiffy lube they use care. ON EVERY CAR...no matter if it is a lexus, ferrari, yugo or kia.
COME ON.....
nutxo

Post by nutxo »

Yeh. If the packing material wasnt sufficient theres no recourse with the shipping company.

I got a tantrum last year that was packed with those inflatable plastic bags. I couldnt believe anyoen would be so effing stupid. I was like packing a cactus with party balloons.

The dumbass didnt insure and wouldnt make the deal right. The mods actualy took the guys side.

I feel for ya.
vin78
Vin Diesel

Yet more complaints about Zed's work

Post by vin78 »

I originally posted this in Randy's op-amp thread, but due to respect of all the posters there, I decided to add on to my existing thread...

This is after Eric made the comment about Stephen Mantz...

Speaking of Zed and op-amps, when I sent him my 2250 for testing, he offered to replace one of the op-amp chips with an "high-end Harrison" chip. This was before the shipping incident and I fully trusted him.

This guy literally sniped off the legs of the original op-amps and soldered on this "Harrison" chip. If you look closely, the pins are only half way in :roll: :roll: :roll: The board was never removed for the install.

Stephen either totally lost it or he just doesn't care, although, feel that its the later.

I think that he thinks i'm a dumb ass and felt that he could make a few extra dollars off me and did a half ass job.

Sorry about the ranting :)
GX3

Post by GX3 »

RANT away you have every right to there is NO excuse for that !!!!
ZX950 X2 1 blk 1 wht
MS1KTA black NIC
MS1KTA white NIB
MS2250TA (x3) 1 in Blue 1 in Red
MS2125TA
MAC200 NIB
MS275 (x2) 1 NIB
MPS2240 NIB
Tantrum 500.2 (x2)
SA1.0 (x2)
ZPA 0.5 X2
ZPA 0.3 X3
Ti DD10 ............
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

Post by oldskoolmseriesfan »

x2
Phorum PI!
Square woofers are GAY!!
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Eeeeeewwww.... :?

What a douche.
mr tibbs
Forum Goatee

Post by mr tibbs »

What the hell is he thinking?? Is this an isolated incident or is this how he is now conducting business?? Has he taken care of the first set of problems?
[url=http://www.usbr.gov//][img]http://www.usbr.gov/images/banner-3.jpg[/img][/url]
vin78
Vin Diesel

Post by vin78 »

mr tibbs wrote:What the hell is he thinking?? Is this an isolated incident or is this how he is now conducting business?? Has he taken care of the first set of problems?
Nope, he didnt offer anything. Its pretty much a closed case as far as he is concerned.

I was really considering his new 6 ch beast too :roll:
mr tibbs
Forum Goatee

Post by mr tibbs »

That's unacceptable. Fuck that guy, blast this all over Vin. It's the least he deserves. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

Hmmm, that's really too bad. I feel for you and you amp, man.
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

This is so totally unacceptable I can't even fully comprehend it. Mantz has lost all credibility as far as I am concerned. He can shove his 6-channel amp right up his…
dedlyjedly
Silent but Dedly

Post by dedlyjedly »

Wow! I can't see how he could have built his reputation and cult following with sub-par work and customer service like you have described. So the question is when did he change his ways? I must admit I was surprised to hear that someone as recognizable in the industry as Mantz was repairing random amplifiers. Is he still manufacturing? I mean what happened!? :roll:
Wakeup
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by Wakeup »

tristan20

Post by tristan20 »

Its all about money now.

I am seeing alot of older companies getting back into it to RIP people a new one.

I will not mention any names, but they are basically riding the train that made the name for them and taking advantage of poor consumers.
vin78
Vin Diesel

Post by vin78 »

tristan20 wrote:Its all about money now.

I am seeing alot of older companies getting back into it to RIP people a new one.

I will not mention any names, but they are basically riding the train that made the name for them and taking advantage of poor consumers.
Yeah it looks like he's surviving on name recognition now.

Stephen could have offered to rework or repair these amps or at the very least offer some sort of refund. Although all the money in the world cant buy some of these parts. But no, he never indicate anything in that nature.

I noticed another thing with Zed. The differences between him and Eric or Cecil is that Stephen simply fixes the issue at hand. Where Doc or Eric is willing to go the extra mile and go through the whole amp and makes sure that there are no other issues.

The other thing is that Stephen doesn't appear to bench the amp for a long period of time. I know that Eric and Cecil runs the amp all day and make sure there aren't any other issues. His turn around time is quite fast, this does not mean that its the correct way of doing things. I'd rather have him keep the amplifier an extra day or two if it means that the amp will run properly. His "push" mentality is going to get him in deep shit one day.
1moreamp
NOT justonemoreamp

Post by 1moreamp »

Mantz did not do that, one of his tech's did, and Mantz is apparently not QC'ing his tech's workmanship. And he does not do tech work, he has a crew doing that for him.. < I am not defending him, but I will try to explain that he runs a large company and people do the work for him....

The tech that was told to do this did not want to completely remove the entire board from the sink to do the job cleanly and properly. I have seen this sort workmanship for 30 years. Usually performed by commission based tech's , they can be worst as they rush to complete work without thinking about what it looks like...

That does "SUCK" Vin, but it can be fixed and made to look right, but the amp board needs to come out and the device removed and re-installed properly. WHEW! but I must say I have seen this level of work done many times by many different service groups out there . Its quicky tech work and on PG it look like PO-PO.. I feel ya Vin,,, I feel ya.....C
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

1moreamp wrote:Mantz did not do that, one of his tech's did, and Mantz is apparently not QC'ing his tech's workmanship. And he does not do tech work, he has a crew doing that for him.. < I am not defending him, but I will try to explain that he runs a large company and people do the work for him....
I've been thinking that myself. Doesn't seem like Mantz himself would be the tech doing work on the amps, but the work done is still his responsibility regardless of which one of his employees did the work.
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
vin78
Vin Diesel

Post by vin78 »

The last time I spoke to Stephen, he said that he was the only person who works on amps. His last tech left a while back.

He is recovering from a car accident and he now comes to work at noon and his shop is closed in the morning. Thats why I had to use UPS, they deliver in the afternoon. Fedex and USPS delivers in the morning. My package actually almost got lost when I sent him my amps b/c dumbass UPS dropped off the package at Zed's neighbor - which neither Stephen or I knew about until a week latter.

If he has any techs or anyone else at his shop, someone likely would have been there to sign for it.
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

vin78 wrote:I noticed another thing with Zed. The differences between him and Eric or Cecil is that Stephen simply fixes the issue at hand. Where Doc or Eric is willing to go the extra mile and go through the whole amp and makes sure that there are no other issues.

The other thing is that Stephen doesn't appear to bench the amp for a long period of time. I know that Eric and Cecil runs the amp all day and make sure there aren't any other issues. His turn around time is quite fast, this does not mean that its the correct way of doing things. I'd rather have him keep the amplifier an extra day or two if it means that the amp will run properly. His "push" mentality is going to get him in deep shit one day.
I don't know if I understand this point or not, but I must say I hope no one is getting the wrong impression of me.

I don't fix amps for a living, it is a hobby. I don't have expensive and impressive test equipment. I am not capable of load testing amps, and to make sure they work I connect them to a nice set of 8 ohm home speakers and listen to it with real music. I use the same tracks and have heard them enough I can tell if something does not seem right.

An amp is a piece of electronics. It either works correctly or it does not. Heat can change how it works, so an amp may potentially work fine when first turned on, but after it heats up it may not work correctly. I try to play the amp long enough and loud enough to heat it up to a comfortable level.

If this scares anyone who was considering having me work on their amps, or anyone who I have worked on their amps, consider this. Of all the amps I have fixed, I have had only one come back.

If anyone has me work on their amps, it is likely not because they trust my work, it is more cost related. I don't make hardly anything working on these, and in many cases have actually lost money. I really enjoy fixing amps, but the reality is I do not have the resources to be doing the best job out there. I am confident my actual physical work (soldering, patching holes, etc) is better than most anyone, but my abilities to fully verify the functionality of an amp are highly limited.