tantrum t1200.1

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
leeroy

tantrum t1200.1

Post by leeroy »

greetings people, i have a t1200.1 which i am yet to install and was wondering if anyone can tell me what power it makes @2ohm thanks.
1moreamp
NOT justonemoreamp

Re: tantrum t1200.1

Post by 1moreamp »

leeroy wrote:greetings people, i have a t1200.1 which i am yet to install and was wondering if anyone can tell me what power it makes @2ohm thanks.

The factory has a adjustment they set on this amp that limits it max power to about 1400 watts I was told by Roland I think. Just look at the bottom of the amp there is a little seal covering the adjustment.
I recommend you do not tamper with it as it will most likely lead to premature failure of the amp, oh I have two of these also...hope this helps...C
leeroy

Post by leeroy »

thanks mate. the birth certificate says 1532@4ohm was just wondering if the power was greater running into 2ohms.
1moreamp
NOT justonemoreamp

Post by 1moreamp »

leeroy wrote:thanks mate. the birth certificate says 1532@4ohm was just wondering if the power was greater running into 2ohms.

Nope that should be the MAX you will see at 2 ohms. These amps live longer at 4 ohms, although at a lower output. They will see less high current draw which can tend to fail the outputs. That is why I own two, I never wanted to run mine lower then 4 ohms to keep them alive longer... Tripath is long gone so if it fails there may be no salvation for the amp as the main big chip inside is no longer available even from PG.. Just a FYI for your listening happiness....C
leeroy

Post by leeroy »

thanks again. i am planning to run 2 12'' kicker L7 solobarics with it, would you recommend i get the dual 4ohm coil version then?
1moreamp
NOT justonemoreamp

Post by 1moreamp »

leeroy wrote:thanks again. i am planning to run 2 12'' kicker L7 solobarics with it, would you recommend i get the dual 4ohm coil version then?
I recommend running it at 4 ohms ...depending on how you slam the drivers the lower power should be barely noticeable. I.E. it will be loud enough to drive you crazy even at 4 ohms, and the amp will live longer and draw less power off your charging system... :) but this is my opinion based of few of the failures I have seen... The amp likes 4 ohms... :) best of luck mate !
leeroy

Post by leeroy »

thanks mate, much appreciated :)
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Yeah, they work MUCH better at 4 ohms. At 2 ohms it only makes them run much hotter and stresses the componentry, without offering any noticeable power increases.

Definitely get two dual 4 ohms and wire it to a 4 ohm final load!
dedlyjedly
Silent but Dedly

Post by dedlyjedly »

Good advice here. I would go so far as to extend the recommendation against a 2 ohm mono load to the rest of the tantrum series amps as well. A lot of added risk and wear and tear for the amp in exchange for just a "little" more power.
steelbath

Post by steelbath »

stipud wrote:Yeah, they work MUCH better at 4 ohms. At 2 ohms it only makes them run much hotter and stresses the componentry, without offering any noticeable power increases.

Definitely get two dual 4 ohms and wire it to a 4 ohm final load!
You said it spot on!!!
I think mine put out more power at 4 ohms and sounded better.
ferrariboy150

Post by ferrariboy150 »

i cant do anything about it if i have two svc subs or three subs can I? to run my amp at 4 ohms
steelbath

Post by steelbath »

ferrariboy150 wrote:i cant do anything about it if i have two svc subs or three subs can I? to run my amp at 4 ohms
Not that i know of, I wouldnt ever run 3 svc subs but i ran 2 svc subs with mine at 2 ohms for about 6mths and this amp did put out a lot of power and did heat up a bit but i have it running at 4 ohm pushing 2 dvc subs now and it stays lots cooler.
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

you could run them at 8ohms...but then they would only see about 700 watts...but your amp would be happy!
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
ferrariboy150

Post by ferrariboy150 »

haha id rather my electrical system be happy than my amp