Looking for newer headunit, some questions/ideas

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
lopezi

Looking for newer headunit, some questions/ideas

Post by lopezi »

I've recently switch vehicles, went from an '02 Toyota Tundra SR5 to an '02 Nissan Maxima SE (got rear-ended and the impact sent me into the vehicle ahead of me and the cost to repair was borderline so the insurance decided to total it out...anyhow, found a Maxima and decided to pick it up)

It's been ~10yrs. since I've had a car, I had a 95 Nissan Pickup before the Tundra...so I've had to re-orient myself back to actually having rear doors and a trunk...

I pulled all the audio out of my truck, previous setup included an Eclipse 8443 headunit. I loved the 8443 but since it was built circa 2003 none of the newer Eclipse accessories play well, such as satellite radio (yes, I can hook up via the aux in but I want to control the satellite from the headunit). At first I was against satellite radio but having driven several rental vehicles for work and while my truck was out of commission, I've grown fond of the selection available on satellite.

So....I'm in the market for a new headunit, I have the 8443 up on ebay (if anyone is interested). I came across the Clarion DXZ785USB and like the specs., also read the review here as well and I believe that's the unit I'll go after. However, NewEgg and Crutchfield no longer carry it although I've found that MillionBuy.com and OnlineCarStereo.com carry it. I've bought speakers and subs from MillionBuy before with no issues...anyone buy from either of these places before? The 2009 line-up from Clarion seems to have dropped features/functionality that the 2007/2008 line had so I'm wanting either the DXZ785USB (2008) or a DXZ775 (2007).

Also, can anyone shed any light on hooking up XM to the DXZ785USB as well as wiring up the steering wheel control feature?

Thanks
kg1961
Got wood?

item

Post by kg1961 »

I don't know the deck but I have a friend in calgary that sells clarion
he seems to buy the last years stock all the time
I have bought a hxd10,2 dxz955mc,dxz855 2 dxz935 and many other from him at good prices he still has a nib DRXZ9675 for $150 cnd I might just buy it for the next car
I would email clarion to make sure all the items and thing you want to set up will work
In canada they had great support

as of now he has 4 dxz765mp,1 dxz775usb $199cnd, 1 dxz675usb $159cnd 6 dxz665mp 199cnd
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Fuzzysnuggleduck has the DXZ785USB. I helped him install it. For the money, it's an absolute steal... so many features, nobody can compete with it at its pricepoint. Its iPod control is far better than most other brands as well.

No experience with XM or their steering wheel controls however.
lopezi

any headunit on the market support lossless formats?

Post by lopezi »

just curious if anyone knows of any headunits on the market that support lossless formats?
GaryJ

Post by GaryJ »

Take a look at the Kenwood Excelon x592. If you are interested, I have one BNIB that I would sell for $115 shipped to cont. US.

Edit- here I will save you some trouble.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KDCX592 ... ailed_info
lopezi

ok, an update and some more questions ideas...

Post by lopezi »

I settled in on the Clarion DXZ785USB, I ordered it from millionbuy.com...their shipping is fast and the price was too good to pass on, so hopefully it'll be a good unit. I received it but haven't had a free moment to get the install done.

In any event, here's a question/idea I have and wanted to bounce it off the collective. Stipud, I read your install where you had substituted in some Tang Band 6x9 subwoofers with some measured success.

Here's my idea...I was contemplating using this subwoofer ( Tang Band W69-1436 ) along with a ( 6x9 box ). The 00-03 Maximas had an option of a Bose system, however mine does not have it although there is a cutout under the rear deck for where the Bose subwoofer would go. The opening measures ~7x10, so I was thinking of mounting this box under that opening firing up. Thoughts? good/bad..a complete waste of time?
kg1961
Got wood?

item

Post by kg1961 »

Ive been in stipud car when he switch it from the sub to the 6x9 they have a little bass but nothing like a sub
If your looking for some bass they might work but I think it might be a waste if you really want to feel the bass
2020 honda accord sport
lopezi

Re: item

Post by lopezi »

kg1961 wrote:Ive been in stipud car when he switch it from the sub to the 6x9 they have a little bass but nothing like a sub
If your looking for some bass they might work but I think it might be a waste if you really want to feel the bass
Hmmm...
Well, in my truck I had a JL Audio Stealthbox mounted under the center console and it had a 10w1v2 in it. What was nice about it all was that it didn't take up any usable space and yet it had plenty of kick to it. So what I'd like to do is keep the same level of kick in the car without hogging up trunk space. I had a '91 Honda Prelude back before and I remember how much of a p.i.t.a it was to use the trunk when there was a 12 inch subwoofer box in there.

So, I'm guessing by your post that the Tang Band subwoofer wont have the same level of kick that the JL Audio 10w1v2 has?

Well, my original idea, before I stumbled on the Tang Band, was to use an 8 inch subwoofer. At my disposal I have a RE 8, an Eclipse 87081.4, or a MTX Black Gold BG84. I'm guessing that maybe I should proceed with one of these subwoofers?
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

Post by oldskoolmseriesfan »

USE THE BLACK GOLD!!!!!!!!!!! Ive always loved that series from MTX 8)
Phorum PI!
Square woofers are GAY!!
kg1961
Got wood?

item

Post by kg1961 »

x2 my friend had a show car with them very nice
2020 honda accord sport
lopezi

Finally installed it...

Post by lopezi »

Although I've had it since the end of July I've just finally had enough time to get around to installing it. Right now just running off the headunit's power while I work out other details of the system. I'm pleasantly surprised by the capability of the headunit's power...more than I thought it would have, although I can tell when it's run out of steam...

I've managed to work through the interface to futz around with the parametric equalizer functionality...trying to work through getting the time alignment where I'd like it though...
itchnertamatoa
Itchy Tomato

Post by itchnertamatoa »

black gold ......
I should probably get around to using mines, someday
BG2125 amp with a pair of BG104 or BG84
need to get another BG2125 to run BG mids
[url=http://www.phoenixphorum.com][img]http://phoenixphorum.com/templates/Titanium/images/logo.jpg[/img][/url]
neverman

Re: any headunit on the market support lossless formats?

Post by neverman »

lopezi wrote:just curious if anyone knows of any headunits on the market that support lossless formats?
Don't most that interface with an Ipod? I know for a fact that mine does if that's unusual.
95' M3
Alpine iDA-X305
iPod Classic (120GB ~10k songs)
PG TBAt2 line Driver
PG ZPX2 Active Crossover (x2 1ea.)
PG ZPA0.5 v2 (x2 Black)
Diamond Hex 6.5 (eton), silk tweeters (rear fill 5.25's @-8db)
Soundstream SS-10's (2) in a sealed box
lopezi

Re: any headunit on the market support lossless formats?

Post by lopezi »

I think in that case then that the iPod is handling lossless decoding duties and then just sending the stream to the headunit via the interface.

I was hoping to just put lossless files on a thumb drive and plugging it in to the headunit and have it decode/play those lossless files...unfortunately I haven't found a headunit that does that yet.

I may try high bit-rate lossy wma and see what the "sound restorer" functionality of the headunit brings to the table.
neverman wrote:
lopezi wrote:just curious if anyone knows of any headunits on the market that support lossless formats?
Don't most that interface with an Ipod? I know for a fact that mine does if that's unusual.
itchnertamatoa
Itchy Tomato

Post by itchnertamatoa »

[url=http://www.phoenixphorum.com][img]http://phoenixphorum.com/templates/Titanium/images/logo.jpg[/img][/url]
rscecil007

Post by rscecil007 »

itchnertamatoa wrote:here's my next head unit
http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/products/25 ... index.html
Damn that is a gorgeous unit. Is that the new one that's only available overseas, and is like $1200 or something?
"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."
itchnertamatoa
Itchy Tomato

Post by itchnertamatoa »

yes it is
I am looking at getting one from the UK
rscecil007

Post by rscecil007 »

Very nice. Too bad they won't ever be easily available for the US market.
"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."
Thumper88

Post by Thumper88 »

rscecil007 wrote:Very nice. Too bad they won't ever be easily available for the US market.
hmm...it should be...they are supposed to release it here....that's what I read a while back anyways.

I was interested in it til I saw the price in Europe.