Amp repair, ZX500??

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
Cox

Amp repair, ZX500??

Post by Cox »

Long story short, i got this amp from a barn. lol, it was found in a wooden crate the amp is in rough shape. Seems good for some experiece in amp repair. Internally the amp seems to be in good shape. no damage what so ever. Very dusty, lol. i cleaned and inspected it. After feeling that it wasnt just gunna light on fire, i gave it power. it turned on!!!! (lol) and went into protect (not a big surprise). Now im thinking of a complete disassembly and rebuild. Is there anone on this site that can give me some insight and help? i have all tools needed. and some pretty fair knowledge of electricity and the such. Im looking for links or some good advise. pics, prety much anything. i will be taking pics as i go and i will post them if wanted. Thanks to any that help. To mods, idk if this is i the right section or what move or delete if necessary.

1st post!!!! WOOT :roll:
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

Welcome!

Another Canadian ;)

We definitely have some folks here with amp repair experience that I'm sure can lend some of their experience to your problem given the time. Since I'm not one of them, first thing I would say is that you post some photos first.

Does the amp go into protect without anything connected at the terminals? Is there any (voltage) reading on the terminals?
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
Jim Truett

Post by Jim Truett »

fuzzysnuggleduck wrote:first thing I would say is that you post some photos first.
Yes.

PMs are good too because some of us don't check here daily.
Cox

Post by Cox »

Ok a photographer i am not. but here i some pics of this beast. lol, she is in rough shape. the little plexi pieces are gone. I still wanna take it all apart, but im trying to refrain from doing so. sorry about the lack of pics in the first post, im still practicing my NoobiX cube, :roll: .

god this camera sucks....

so there it is, m dad has a way better camera. when i go over there i will take this amp and get some way better pics. after inspecting the board, there does not appear to be any leakage or really any damage so to speak of at all. Just seems really dirty. no burn, or signs of any burn. You guys know more than i do, which is why im here. Suggestions? i think i should totally disassemble it and clean it up nice and good. IDK...
joyride

Post by joyride »

I would agree with the thorough clean. When you are going through it with a Q-tip, Im guessing you will find the problem. Or at least you will have a damn good looking board...
Cox

Post by Cox »

Ok then im will take it all apart and clean it right up and what i find. il take pics also as i go, so i can show you guys. :)
Cox

Post by Cox »

Ok im back with more pics. i totally took it apart and cleaned eveything it looks really really good now. lol, at least 500% better than it did. it makes me really want it to work. i looked over everything on everything, there is no burn no nothing. it should be fine. although there was ALOT of stuff inside, it took like 70 q-tips to clean it out and took however long it was since i last posted to do it. anyways on to the pics.

top of the board, panning right to left.
bottom left of the board
Full board
crossover and such
empty shell (sure wish the whole amp still looked like that....)
Back of board
whole thing

thats it for now, hope one of you guys checks this thread out soonish..... :)
Misfire

Post by Misfire »

Looks a lot better for sure. Hope you find the problem soon. Those are nice amps!
Cox

Post by Cox »

Last update, i forgot about these pics. here is the board clean and put back together. i used new thermal paste all around and literally cleaned everything. i took my time as well so as to do it right. i also made some new plastic covers for the missing plexi. i used plastic patching for R/C trucks. it worked perfectly with some 3M innovation.

i am really impressed how this turned out. not that it was hard.....
Misfire

Post by Misfire »

Nice work! Very clean, looks like an entirely different amp!
Cox

Post by Cox »

UPDATE, i gave her power today. took a vid also but it taking some time to upload. stupid youtube. anyways here is some pics..... flashing green really bright. and flashing yellow really dull. totally diffretn than it was before. i cant remember what it did before but i know its diffrent. il ask my room mate when he gets home, he was there the first time. anyways more pics.... lol i shoulda put 56k beware in the title....... meh :lol:

Cox

Post by Cox »

and yes my sons high chair also doubles as my work bench....... lol :whistle:
Cox

Post by Cox »

bump :roll:
Stryker

Post by Stryker »

I have a white 450 ZX that would match that very nicely. :wink: I also have some Ti windows that are spares if your in need of them.
screw car audio, I'd rather go fast....errr, wait a minute.
Cox

Post by Cox »

Project is on hold till i get some answers. Waiting on someone educated to chime in, i dont wanna kill this amp messin with it. Id really like it fixed now, it'll match that zx450 Im getting off stryker, :). Thank you kind sir......
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

have you tried hooking up a source and a speaker since cleaning it? Green usually means go in leds......
Cox

Post by Cox »

Green means go if its solid and only green is on. in a post farther up i said that when i tested it the green light was flashing very bright, and the yellow was flashing very faint. no have not put a source on it or speaker. Just power..... i will se what i do this afternoon maybee if the kid is good i can look at it.
dBincognito
Randy Bo-Bandy

Post by dBincognito »

Have you checked this amplifier for DC Offset ?

http://phoenixphorum.com/amplifier-dist ... t3428.html

Has any testing been done at all ?

Does it produce sound ?
there is no burn no nothing
That doesn't mean anything, just because you don't see it doesn't mean it's not there.

I believe more info is needed for someone to form a suggestion as to what may need to be looked at.